Author Topic: Slow load times on Amazon-related websites  (Read 129 times)

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Slow load times on Amazon-related websites
« on: February 29, 2024, 12:23:48 AM »
Is anyone else noticing weirdly slow loading of Amazon pages or pages failing to load completely?

Before anyone asked, I recently switched to fiber-optic internet, and non-Amazon sites load with the expected speed. The problem I'm seeing is specific to Amazon.

This morning, it took me three tries to get the KDP dashboard to load properly. Accessing Amazon.com took only one try but was interrupted by an error message. Loading Amazon ads took two tries. And that's the best I've seen in a while. I either get a blank page or an incompletely loaded page and have to try again.

In addition, Amazon's Kindle for PC app refuses to connect or synch most of the time. I've had luck when my machine, which is relatively new, boots up. Otherwise, if I buy a new book and want to read it right away, I need to restart my computer in order to download it. (The downloads, when they do occur, are lightning fast.)

It seems as if this could be Amazon needing to allocate itself more server capacity, or perhaps Amazon is trying to initiate something new and having glitches.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Slow load times on Amazon-related websites
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 12:30:14 AM »
Amazon is working perfectly for me.

But I've been seeing Facebook being flaky lately.

It seems as if this could be Amazon needing to allocate itself more server capacity, or perhaps Amazon is trying to initiate something new and having glitches.

More likely there is an interruption between your ISP and the Amazon server you normally access.

Have you tried pinging Amazon to see what the response times are?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Slow load times on Amazon-related websites
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 02:56:03 AM »
Pings look normal. But if I'm understanding the test correctly, it checks for a response. It doesn't measure whether the page loads correctly or not, right?

I tried testing using GTMetrics, and the homepage took around seven seconds to be interactive, twelve to load completely. That's on one try, so it's better than what I was getting in that sense, but that seems excessively long. When Amazon was working well for me, it was certainly loading faster than that.

If it is some kind of ISP issue, other people will probably notice it as well. I'll keep checking. But as I've said, there's no hint for trouble with anything non-Amazon.

Now I have to go doublecheck some bizarre problems on my own website.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter