Author Topic: Recommendations for a keyboard  (Read 3231 times)

Captain Cranky

Recommendations for a keyboard
« on: January 14, 2019, 11:20:46 AM »
Hey all  Grin

I'm just about to build myself a desktop, and will be looking to buy a new keyboard to go with it. I've never really paid much attention to keyboards, for years now I've always opted for laptops instead of desktops. But I'll be using this new pc a lot and in light of that I'd like to get something ergonomic that will last quite awhile. I'm currently using either my Dell laptop directly (which is on the small side and great for portability, but isn't cutting it anymore in terms of screen/keyboard size and my productivity), or a cheap $10 Logitech keyboard when the Dell is hooked up to a monitor. This keyboard is nice and 'clicky', but feels somewhat 'cramped' and I can't see myself liking it long term. Just wondering what other writers are using, and if any of you have any recommendations? Quality, ergonomics, and 'clickiness' are the most important factors for me, being relatively easy to clean would be helpful too.

Any suggestions?
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Captain Cranky

Re: Recommendations for a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:55:32 AM »
Thanks Llano, I'll definitely take a look at that one!
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

bookworm

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:33:46 AM »
I just bought this one. Really enjoying it so far.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K424CGZ

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Captain Cranky

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 02:27:52 PM »
Thanks bookworm, taking a look now. :-)

JRTomlin

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 07:03:32 AM »
I very much prefer a mechanical keyboard although they take a little getting used to.

Here is an article on the way and which ones are popular.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/347603/the-best-mechanical-keyboards
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 07:06:39 AM by JRTomlin »

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky, Ghost5

Captain Cranky

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 01:46:01 PM »
Thanks for the link  grint My kid has one of the razor chroma keyboards, I hadn't bothered to try it out myself because though pretty, the lighting would be a distraction for me. Might give it a go anyway, otherwise I'm giving thought to one of the IBM style ones.....maybe....tough decision lol  :shrug

JRTomlin

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »
You can find mechanical keyboards without the lighting. Mine looks rather...mechanical. lol

As mechanical ones go, it is reasonably priced, I like the soft but clicky feel and like the look. It did take a while to get used to having to actually press the keys but it takes minimal pressure.

https://www.amazon.com/Nixeus-Mechanical-Feedback-Keyboard-MK-104BN16/dp/B01DXVUD6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1548389045&sr=8-1&keywords=nixeus+keyboard

Captain Cranky

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
Ooh I'll take a look, thanks!

Captain Cranky

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 05:11:48 PM »
Judging by the flood of responses to this topic I'm sure everyone is on tenterhooks wondering which keyboard I finally went with so I thought I'd give an update

I was leaning towards the IBM style one, but decided to go into my local EB Games here in Oz to test out lots of different brands. The poor bloke spent about an hour unboxing and re-boxing keyboards for me, and I wound up walking out with the Razer Huntsman. Pricey, but the minute I touched it I knew I'd found 'the one'. The other keyboards I tried just didn't compare. The Hunstman is so damn 'clicky' and the response is instant, I barely have to touch the keys. That was something that used to bug me with other keyboards, I was having to use more pressure and was constantly going back over my words to fill in missing letters. With the Razer my fingers just fly over the keys. The clicks are loud and might bug some (one of my kids has already mentioned he can hear me from the lounge room) but personally I love the sound, it adds to the experience for me. I thought the lighting would be a distraction, but it's not, it's just pretty. I bought a new mouse to go with it, and now my build is pretty much complete. It's such a pleasure to use, I've already written more this week than I have in the past month. I could have bought a different brand mechanical keyboard online for cheaper I suppose, but I'm a tactile person and very picky. I don't have time to mess around with sending things back if it's not quite right, so I feel good about my choice.

I'm a happy camper  Grin

Here is the link from Amazon if anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.com.au/Razer-Huntsman-Opto-Mechanical-Keyboard-RZ03-02520100-R3M1/dp/B07G46BNGD/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550040385&sr=8-3&keywords=razer+hunstman

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it  grint

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, VanessaC

VanessaC

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 09:24:29 PM »
Thanks for the update - I was watching the thread, but my dream keyboard (which I haven't found yet) is a silent one, so I didn't have anything to add to your quest for a clicky keyboard.

So glad you found what you were looking for.  Here's to a long and beautiful partnership and many, many best-selling books.

:cheers

Genre: Fantasy

Captain Cranky

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 11:00:00 PM »
Here's to a long and beautiful partnership and many, many best-selling books.

:cheers

From your lips to the 'zon's ears  :cheers

And if all else fails, I could always forge a career making ASMR videos with my new keyboard  Grin

Good luck in your own search  Grin

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

Mark Gardner

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 12:54:34 AM »
Thanks for the update - I was watching the thread, but my dream keyboard (which I haven't found yet) is a silent one, so I didn't have anything to add to your quest for a clicky keyboard.
Vanessa,
In your quest for the perfect non-clicky keyboard, take a look at the mechanical ones. The clicky ones use cherry blue (or equivalent) keys, but the cherry brown have the same key travel and tactile feedback, but no click. As an added benefit, since mechanical keyboards have the switching mechanism separate from the keycaps, you can do interesting things like get keycaps that are a different color for oft-used key combinations. (I do this for Photoshop.) Make sure that the keyboard you select has anti-ghosting. BTW, cherry black are linear with no tactile feedback.

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

VanessaC

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 01:26:52 AM »
Vanessa,
In your quest for the perfect non-clicky keyboard, take a look at the mechanical ones. The clicky ones use cherry blue (or equivalent) keys, but the cherry brown have the same key travel and tactile feedback, but no click. As an added benefit, since mechanical keyboards have the switching mechanism separate from the keycaps, you can do interesting things like get keycaps that are a different color for oft-used key combinations. (I do this for Photoshop.) Make sure that the keyboard you select has anti-ghosting. BTW, cherry black are linear with no tactile feedback.

Oh, thank you - I'm sure I've read about mechanical keyboards before, but got confused, so that's really useful.  Currently using a logitech wireless keyboard which is wearing out a bit - I can see an upgrade in my future.  Grin

Genre: Fantasy

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2019, 02:55:52 AM »
You can find mechanical keyboards without the lighting. Mine looks rather...mechanical. lol

You can also turn the lighting off on these keyboards. I have a mechanical with blue switches and it had all those ridiculous lighting effects. I just turned them off. Love the keyboard.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

JRTomlin

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2019, 04:16:23 AM »
Nice keyboard. Glad you found something that makes you happy. We use them too much to not have something good. It is amazing how much difference the right keyboard makes.

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

Captain Cranky

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2019, 07:27:43 AM »
Nice keyboard. Glad you found something that makes you happy. We use them too much to not have something good. It is amazing how much difference the right keyboard makes.

100% this.

Beautiful pens and a gorgeous keyboard, guess I have no excuse to procrastinate now  grint

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 02:09:15 PM »
I'm looking for my next writing space. I think I'll need to look for a new house first.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Captain Cranky

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
Ooh if it has a built in massager I'm sold!

Tom Wood

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
Why not go full VR?!

JRTomlin

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 03:14:08 PM »
Include the massager and I'm sold!

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 03:22:23 PM »
Why not go full VR?!

Oh c'mon now. The chair I showed is real. You can buy it today if you want. And yes, it does come with massage.  ;)