Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308810 times)

notthatamanda

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #2050 on: February 09, 2021, 06:18:05 AM »
Couple dozen words but passed the 80% mark on the read aloud process.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Wonder

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2051 on: February 09, 2021, 09:08:53 AM »
I am at 1845 words for the day so far.  That's 1,420 for the humorous space opera.  Does it count as a space opera if one main character is stuck on the beach?  The other 425 is stuff for the serious space opera.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Wonder

Wonder

« Reply #2052 on: February 09, 2021, 10:15:08 AM »
5000 messy words today to reach the end of the first draft. Yay!

Granted, the last third of the book was written at a typo-filled gallop, so I still have plenty of editing to do before this feels like an actual story. Currently at 51k words, will probably be closer to 62 by the time I'm done filling in my plot holes and adding all the proper description I ignored in my rush to get to the ending.

Hope you all had a nice writing day.

Wonder

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Wonder

« Reply #2053 on: February 09, 2021, 10:16:16 AM »
I am at 1845 words for the day so far.  That's 1,420 for the humorous space opera.  Does it count as a space opera if one main character is stuck on the beach?  The other 425 is stuff for the serious space opera.

Other planets have beaches, right? And Earth beaches can exist in a space opera. :)

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2054 on: February 09, 2021, 11:06:41 AM »
I've been working on my website today, but I did find a car for one of my main characters!

1936 Jaguar SS100

Photo courtesy of Hemmings .com

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

notthatamanda

« Reply #2055 on: February 09, 2021, 09:38:06 PM »

She took off her beach coverup and plunged her toes into the rainbow colored sand. No doubt about it, she thought as she looked at the water, which today was a lovely lavender. Beach A-784 was the most beautiful anywhere on planet FSOK-20938.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2056 on: February 10, 2021, 01:20:43 AM »

She took off her beach coverup and plunged her toes into the rainbow colored sand. No doubt about it, she thought as she looked at the water, which today was a lovely lavender. Beach A-784 was the most beautiful anywhere on planet FSOK-20938.

I want to visit Amanda's beach!  :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

notthatamanda

« Reply #2057 on: February 10, 2021, 01:29:39 AM »
We got 2 feet of snow here and more on the way. I'll take any beach. :)

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2058 on: February 10, 2021, 05:47:13 PM »
The beach needs to be visited by a sea monster which the hero/heroine is then forced to battle.

Pretty much any story can be improved by the addition of a sea monster.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #2059 on: February 11, 2021, 04:21:11 AM »
Another handful of words but only one chapter and the epilogue left to listen to on the read aloud.  :banana:

Lynn

« Reply #2060 on: February 11, 2021, 04:54:36 AM »
I guess the time of year I used to visit the beach is at fault, but I usually end up visualizing cold water, whitecaps, and dreary gray skies when I think beach. :)

I picture amusement parks when I want to feel warm. Ah, the sweat and sun... I miss that right now. Winter is my least favorite season.
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2061 on: February 11, 2021, 05:03:18 AM »
Wrote 1,400 words yesterday and 210 so far today.

The character has left the beach.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Hopscotch

« Reply #2062 on: February 11, 2021, 06:04:44 AM »
Finished my pandemic novel ystrdy - at a blazing rate of 214 words per day (well, blazing for me).  A medieval/space opera/fantasy/parody w/a part for covid.  Had to be something like that to take my mind off the angel of death hovering over my street. 
. .

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, Wonder

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2063 on: February 11, 2021, 10:51:53 AM »
Up to 495 words for the day.  May take on Jeff's challenge today to get up to at least 1,000 words for the day.

Also, still working on the model for the ship for the cover of the serious space opera.  Today, I did the part that is described in the book but hadn't been placed on the model.  Remedied that today and then had to recreate it after screwing up the alignment and not being able to figure out how to precisely reposition where I wanted it.  Would have been easy had I remembered the number of degrees I had rotated it.  Absent that, I decided it was best to recreate it.  And recreate it a second time since the idea I had in mind to save time recreating it in the first place didn't pan out.  Looks pretty nifty now, IMHO.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Jeff Tanyard

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2064 on: February 11, 2021, 11:03:26 AM »
Finished my pandemic novel ystrdy - at a blazing rate of 214 words per day (well, blazing for me).  A medieval/space opera/fantasy/parody w/a part for covid.  Had to be something like that to take my mind off the angel of death hovering over my street.

Congrats, Hopscotch!  :dog1:

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2065 on: February 11, 2021, 11:18:19 AM »

Congrats, Hopscotch!  :dog1:

Yeah, same here.  Congrats!   :cheers

notthatamanda

« Reply #2066 on: February 11, 2021, 12:25:00 PM »
:tup3b

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2067 on: February 11, 2021, 02:34:46 PM »
Up to 495 words for the day.  May take on Jeff's challenge today to get up to at least 1,000 words for the day.

Ending at 1,025 for the day after writing 530 words towards Jeff's challenge.  The start is good but not happy with the rest.  Not feeling very adventure-y.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2068 on: February 11, 2021, 03:23:17 PM »

Ending at 1,025 for the day after writing 530 words towards Jeff's challenge.  The start is good but not happy with the rest.  Not feeling very adventure-y.

Well done.   :cheers

I've got just over 3k written on that fantasy story.  I got a little hung up on naming conventions, as I often do.  Names are hard, and coming up with them is perhaps my least favorite part of writing.  I especially hate coming up with what I think is a really cool name only to discover World of Warcraft has already used it.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2069 on: February 11, 2021, 03:45:51 PM »
I've got just over 3k written on that fantasy story.  I got a little hung up on naming conventions, as I often do.  Names are hard, and coming up with them is perhaps my least favorite part of writing.  I especially hate coming up with what I think is a really cool name only to discover World of Warcraft has already used it.

I usually don't have a problem with naming.  These days, though, I use unusual variations on names to avoid using the name of a real person.  Like Jeff might become Geoph, Jeph or Jyef.

Where I run into problems is when I need a more standard name.  Like a galactic government.  United Federation, Interstellar Alliance, Galactic Republic, etc. have all been used.  Probably the one I ended up choosing has been used somewhere but didn't really want to go with something unwieldy like the United Planetary Systems Republic of Universe Sector 8952.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2070 on: February 11, 2021, 04:01:30 PM »
I usually don't have a problem with naming.  These days, though, I use unusual variations on names to avoid using the name of a real person.  Like Jeff might become Geoph, Jeph or Jyef.

Isacc Asimov did the same thing, so you're in good company.  Harry became Hari, as in Hari Seldon.

Where I run into problems is when I need a more standard name.  Like a galactic government.  United Federation, Interstellar Alliance, Galactic Republic, etc. have all been used.  Probably the one I ended up choosing has been used somewhere but didn't really want to go with something unwieldy like the United Planetary Systems Republic of Universe Sector 8952.

Kingdom, theocracy, kakocracy, confederation, league, commonwealth, consortium, co-prosperity sphere, principality, electorate, dukedom, syndicate, anarcho-commune, co-op, protectorate, khanate, sultanate, fiefdom...

You can even invent a word based on the leader's title.  A Grand Poobah, for example, would rule the Poobahdom.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2071 on: February 11, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »
Kingdom, theocracy, kakocracy, confederation, league, commonwealth, consortium, co-prosperity sphere, principality, electorate, dukedom, syndicate, anarcho-commune, co-op, protectorate, khanate, sultanate, fiefdom...

You can even invent a word based on the leader's title.  A Grand Poobah, for example, would rule the Poobahdom.

Alien governments aren't a problem.  It's the human-involved ones that are, especially if they are elected types.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2072 on: February 11, 2021, 04:50:17 PM »

Alien governments aren't a problem.  It's the human-involved ones that are, especially if they are elected types.

After typing the word "Khanate," I'm now tempted to write something about Mongolians in space.  Would that not be completely badass?   :cool:

Imagine these guys with spaceships and laser pistols:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2073 on: February 11, 2021, 05:02:12 PM »

And bat'leths?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2074 on: February 11, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »

And bat'leths?

*snort*

I always thought that Klingon blade was a ridiculous weapon.  I mean, sure, it looks cool, but it seems unwieldy as hell.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2075 on: February 11, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »

And bat'leths?

*snort*

I always thought that Klingon blade was a ridiculous weapon.  I mean, sure, it looks cool, but it seems unwieldy as hell.

They had regular swords in TOS.

Bat'leths do look cumbersome, but it might make sense for Klingon physiology.  I think they have like a thicker rib cage or twice as many ribs or something.  So, a single blade might be insufficient in Klingon combat whereas the bat'leth offers multiple stabbing possibilities.  Plus, Worf always seemed to balance it pretty well.

He should have probably carried a bat'leth on the bridge.  Kahless knows the chief of security sure got beat up often enough when his only weapon was a phaser.

Hopscotch

« Reply #2076 on: February 12, 2021, 02:56:25 AM »
After typing the word "Khanate," I'm now tempted to write something about Mongolians in space.  Would that not be completely badass?

Believe there are c.20m people in Jenghis Khaneh Mogole's area of conquest (Korea to Poland) who still carry his genes.  That might be a colorful coat hanger for you.
. .

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2077 on: February 12, 2021, 02:59:53 AM »
After typing the word "Khanate," I'm now tempted to write something about Mongolians in space.  Would that not be completely badass?

Believe there are c.20m people in Jenghis Khaneh Mogole's area of conquest (Korea to Poland) who still carry his genes.  That might be a colorful coat hanger for you.

One in two hundred men worldwide are said to be direct descendants, which is 0.5% of men.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2078 on: February 12, 2021, 04:58:00 AM »

And bat'leths?

Worf had a lot of upper body strength.  Khan is space has been done (if memory serves me) but a Mongolian horde in space could be cool!  Nomadic of course, with lots of fierce, fast but compact spacecraft would be my choice.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2079 on: February 12, 2021, 05:28:09 AM »

And bat'leths?

Worf had a lot of upper body strength.  Khan is space has been done (if memory serves me) but a Mongolian horde in space could be cool!  Nomadic of course, with lots of fierce, fast but compact spacecraft would be my choice.

Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda had the Magog.  Definitely a horde.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2080 on: February 12, 2021, 07:24:09 AM »
Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda had the Magog.  Definitely a horde.

The episode where the Magog invaded the Andromeda was actually somewhat scary.  It was well done.

That show had a lot of promise until they switched writers and took it in a whole different direction.  Such a shame how that turned out.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2081 on: February 12, 2021, 08:01:15 AM »
That show had a lot of promise until they switched writers and took it in a whole different direction.  Such a shame how that turned out.

They had a big story arc planned out, similar to Babylon 5.  And then they had a season that reminded me of the third season of Lexx.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2082 on: February 12, 2021, 01:20:44 PM »
Wrote 1,015 words today.  That includes 210 words towards the alien visitor story Jeff wanted me to do.  Yeah, he's having a different kind of adventure all right.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2083 on: February 13, 2021, 09:42:52 AM »
I'm at 430 words for the day so far.  Need at least 570 more words before the end of the day.  Have 240 words I can not exceed for Jeff's challenge so if I finish that tonight, I still need 340 more words.  Maybe I'll work on one of the subpar short stories from January.  Thought up an idea this morning on how I can fix one of them.  But will it take 340 words?  Probably not, plus I'll need to delete some, which means writing even more words to make up for the loss.

In other news, I thought I was ready to start "painting" my 3D model but upon examining my test render, I see I need to make adjustments to the UV maps.  It's the hero's vessel but, still, I don't think you want to see it coming after you.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2084 on: February 16, 2021, 09:19:08 AM »
Edited what I had so far and added 717 words, so I'm at 4601.  A good start to the story!  :catrun

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2085 on: February 16, 2021, 09:36:53 AM »
I've almost convinced myself that the illness I had in the second half of January must have been Covid.  I've been chronically fatigued for several days now, and that's a common post-Covid symptom.

The good news is that, even with my physical limitations, I've still had enough lucid hours to get some writing done.  I've written over 5000 words in a new fantasy story in the past eight days.  That's not great by my normal standards, but I'm satisfied with it considering my current state.

By the way... I'm basically pantsing this new story.   :icon_eek:  I'm a firm believer in outlining, but I'm not doing it this time.  I have only the vaguest idea of what the plot is going to be, and I'm hoping I'll manage to avoid writing myself into a corner or meandering all over the place.  To help with that, I'm keeping the plot as simple--simplistic, really--as I can.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2086 on: February 16, 2021, 09:45:13 AM »
Finished a 94K words novel last night. Revised just under 10K words of it today as part of the first editing run through.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2087 on: February 16, 2021, 09:46:51 AM »
Finished a 94K words novel last night. Revised just under 10K words of it today as part of the first editing run through.

:littleclap :cheers

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2088 on: February 16, 2021, 12:31:15 PM »

:goodpost:  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

notthatamanda

« Reply #2089 on: February 16, 2021, 10:07:39 PM »
Congrats!

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2090 on: February 18, 2021, 11:37:54 AM »
So far, still managing to get at least 1,000 words written per day.  Not necessarily for the same project though.  Since the last report, I have written four new short stories.  Three of those are usable.  Also fixed up two of the underachievers from January.  Work on the lame space opera continues.  Still need to straighten out the plot which I've been saying for months now and I keep digging the characters into deeper holes.  At around 75k for something that was supposed to be a quick 30k and out the door.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2091 on: February 18, 2021, 11:39:24 AM »

:banana:

The good news is that, even with my physical limitations, I've still had enough lucid hours to get some writing done.  I've written over 5000 words in a new fantasy story in the past eight days.  That's not great by my normal standards, but I'm satisfied with it considering my current state.

Well, you do what you can, when you can.  Or something.  Is this the one with the venomous horses?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2092 on: February 18, 2021, 03:29:48 PM »
Is this the one with the venomous horses?

Yes.  Although "monsters" is a better word than "horses."  Flying monsters that can be ridden.  Like dragons, but they don't breathe fire, so they're more like "armored transport" than any kind of aerial weapon.  Hero is a monster rider who is about to face a tough decision.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2093 on: February 18, 2021, 03:51:55 PM »
Hero is a monster rider who is about to face a tough decision.

Whether to wear steel-toe utilitarian boots or the more fashionable black leather boots?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2094 on: February 18, 2021, 03:55:38 PM »
Hero is a monster rider who is about to face a tough decision.

Whether to wear steel-toe utilitarian boots or the more fashionable black leather boots?

The subject of his attire hasn't yet arisen in the story, so I don't know what his uniform looks like yet.

I'm pantsing this, remember.  I don't have answers to any questions.   :icon_eek:

notthatamanda

« Reply #2095 on: February 23, 2021, 01:58:47 AM »
665 on my short story/reader magnet. About 1/3ish done I think.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2096 on: February 23, 2021, 06:54:07 AM »
Forgot to post this one earlier in the month:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2097 on: February 23, 2021, 07:01:47 AM »
Still continuing daily drawings:

Also a daily photo.  And daily writing.

As far as drawings go, I end up doing a lot of fish and aliens, largely because I run out of ideas and it's usually easy to draw a squiggly line then make an alien out of it.  Fish are similarly easy.  Then again, main focus is on learning the Wacom tablet as well as finding my way around Affinity Designer.  Now that I am learning my way around, I'm finding plenty of things easier to do than in Adobe Illustrator.  Still some things I haven't figured out yet.  I suppose I should read the online manual or something.

So far, still managing at least 1,000 words a day for the month.  Getting harder to keep up that pace as I've hit a snag in the humorous space opera again.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2098 on: February 23, 2021, 09:56:32 AM »
A little over 1700 words on a short story today.  Time to take a break and come back to it tomorrow.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2099 on: February 24, 2021, 07:52:30 AM »
Wrote 1,270 words today, just for the lame space opera.  My 30k lame space opera is now 85k.  But I think there will need to be a lot of trimming done whenever I figure out how to sort the whole thing out.  Some scenes I think I will drop and I am thinking I need to change or remove some of the later scenes with the villain because I've taken him from cartoonish bad and a little creepy to murderous and all sorts of sexist.