Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 85503 times)

PJ Post

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2018, 01:49:23 PM »
The first season of 'The Handmaid's Tale' was okay, don't think I'll be looking to see S2, however. Liked the first season of 'Stranger Things', but really disliked Season 2, don't know if I'll bother with S3.

See, this is why reviews can be all over the pace. I thought season one was a master class in film making and writing - extremely entertaining and thought provoking, right down to the camera lenses used. And while season two could never measure up against the source material, it was still pretty good.

I liked Stranger Things 2 quite a bit as well. But then, I kind of like the nostalgia thing, even wrote a few books set in the 80s.

But I agree about giving up on shows. TV has definitely taken a turn for the excessively derivative, and just poorly written lately. How many shows over the last ten years have featured a group of people "returning" from the dead/lost/missing? The latest is Manifest. Westworld was cool, but it was knee-deep in the Nolan, non-linear subversion trope and really seemed to lose its way as a result. I think it would have been better if they just picked a story and followed a traditional linear narrative.

Anarchist

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2018, 02:28:31 PM »
I just started The Walking Dead, Season 8 on Netflix.

Man, this show can be frustrating.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

PJ Post

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »

Totally agree. I threaten to quit watching every season, and then something amazing awful happens, like the first time we see Michonne, or..."look at the flowers..."

Anarchist

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 03:01:21 PM »

Totally agree. I threaten to quit watching every season, and then something amazing awful happens, like the first time we see Michonne, or..."look at the flowers..."

I'm an insufferable zombie apocalypse Monday armchair quarterback.

- "C'mon Rick! Get your people organized!"

- "That's no way to run an offensive!

- "You've got a sniper rifle, FFS. Take... Neegan... out!"

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 04:05:38 PM »

I gave up on that in season 2.  I think.  It may have been season 1.   :icon_think:

and bingeing on Grimm

Great show.  I watched each episode as it originally aired.  Fun stuff.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 05:34:25 PM »
Interrupted Supernatural at Season 10,

to watch Space 1999, for the first time in 30 odd years. Eye opener for what they knew nothing about!

But will be interrupting Space 1999,

for Expanse 2 tonight.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2018, 05:43:13 PM »
I'm not a fan of series going on for too long. I like resolution :)  I loved Stranger Things 1, and liked Stranger Things 2, but it's hard to see how they can do another  satisfying story unless they have a completely different monster or main character.

I loved how each season in The Wire had a different focus.

Alice Sabo

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2018, 11:03:31 PM »
We'll have to agree to disagree. Loved Hinterland. Even if just for the scenery! Wow, Wales is just amazing and the fact that they double film each scene in English and Welsh just amazes me. I love the accent, too. The language is so complex.

On the lighter side, Death in Paradise can be fun. Again, gorgeous scenery, Caribbean this time. It's always a locked-room style murder, with fish-out-of water Brit detective. Kind of repetitive and predictable, but sometimes that's what I'm in the mood for.
Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Mystery and Space Opera Genre Hopper

Wifey

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2018, 12:49:49 AM »
Rewatching Madmen. I’m on season 7. Loved seasons 1-5 but 6 and 7? Meh.
Genres: Romance, Chic Lit, YA

guest278

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2018, 01:26:16 AM »

The ones that stick in my mind right now: Elementary, Lucifer and Instinct. 

I like Elementary and like how all the main characters are portrayed by the actors. Except for how Jonny Lee Miller portrays Sherlock. To me, he seems to overact/exaggerate mannerisms. Lucy Liu is awesome.

If you have an opportunity to finish the series, I recommend it.

You won't be disappointed. ;)

I've been waiting to continue watching. I only have over the air channels and usually watch when I house sit for family.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2018, 01:51:10 AM »
Rewatching Madmen. I’m on season 7. Loved seasons 1-5 but 6 and 7? Meh.

Just finished watching that for the first time a month or so back. Definitely ended on 5 as far as I'm concerned. After that it went down the plughole.

The following users thanked this post: Wifey

Simon Haynes

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2018, 01:52:43 AM »
On the lighter side, Death in Paradise can be fun. Again, gorgeous scenery, Caribbean this time. It's always a locked-room style murder, with fish-out-of water Brit detective. Kind of repetitive and predictable, but sometimes that's what I'm in the mood for.

I loved Death in Paradise - great fun.  Seeing Cat from Red Dwarf in it was a bonus, and it took me a while to recognise the police chief as the student from Rising Damp.

JRTomlin

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2018, 01:55:38 AM »
I'm one of those snobs who tends to sniff haughtily and say that I don't watch TV, but I am re-watching the Jack Taylor series which I love. It's Irish mystery series based on the novels by Ken Bruen. Set in Galway, it stars Iain Glen as a former officer with the Garda (the police) who becomes a private detective after being kicked out of the Garda for socking a prominent politician.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 03:54:37 AM by JRTomlin »

Simon Haynes

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2018, 01:56:04 AM »

Recently tried, and gave up on:

River (Netflix)
Luther (Netflix)
Breaking Bad (Netflix)
Broadchurch (Netflix)

All four are really worth persisting with. Breaking Bad is incredible, Luther got better, and Broadchurch (UK version) seasons 1 and 2 were great.

I'm currently re-watching Deadwood. Loved that show.

JimJohnson

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2018, 02:18:40 AM »
Just finished another rewatch of Breaking Bad, and now getting into Better Call Saul for the first time. First episode was great--looking forward to the rest.

Also rewatching various Star Trek series because freelance research.

JimJohnson

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2018, 02:19:51 AM »

That's next on my list after Better Call Saul. That, and getting around to rewatching Hell on Wheels.

Anarchist

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2018, 02:28:24 AM »
I recently watched Battlestar Galactica for the second time.

In my opinion, it's one of the best sci-fi series out there.

(It's currently on Hulu.)

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

JimJohnson

« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2018, 02:31:54 AM »

May have to revisit it sometime. I loved the first two seasons, but the rest fell flat for me. It's been a while since I watched it, though, so should probably give it another go.

Anarchist

« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2018, 02:44:06 AM »

May have to revisit it sometime. I loved the first two seasons, but the rest fell flat for me. It's been a while since I watched it, though, so should probably give it another go.

You just reminded me that I should watch Hell on Wheels again. :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2018, 02:51:23 AM »

I loved Death in Paradise - great fun.  Seeing Cat from Red Dwarf in it was a bonus, and it took me a while to recognise the police chief as the student from Rising Damp.

When I think of Rising Damp, I think of the 70s series with the amazing Leonard Rossiter. He was also the original Reggie Perrin.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2018, 02:54:43 AM »

When I think of Rising Damp, I think of the 70s series with the amazing Leonard Rossiter. He was also the original Reggie Perrin.

That's the one I meant!

This student was an African prince living on the top floor. (Don Warrington)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2018, 03:10:15 AM »

That's the one I meant!

:Tup3a:

Have to find out where I can watch it again.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2018, 03:47:32 AM »

That's the one I meant!

:Tup3a:

Have to find out where I can watch it again.

It's probably really dated now.  About a million to one chance it will ever appear on a streaming service.

VanessaC

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2018, 04:24:52 AM »

The ones that stick in my mind right now: Elementary, Lucifer and Instinct. 

I like Elementary and like how all the main characters are portrayed by the actors. Except for how Jonny Lee Miller portrays Sherlock. To me, he seems to overact/exaggerate mannerisms. Lucy Liu is awesome.

Lucy Liu is awesome, although I was quite disturbed when I binge-watched quite a lot of the episodes to realise just how often they show her sleeping - the show is obsessed with showing her waking up. And often with some weird note from Jonny Lee Miller.  House mate from hell.

Genre: Fantasy

Alice Sabo

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2018, 04:48:06 AM »
I had to give up on Elementary because they all end in the interrogation room with someone recounting the entire crime, step by step, and the motive behind it all, while the suspect just sits and listens. Too much exposition for my taste. Which is too bad, because I liked the characters.
Fantasy, Post-Apocalyptic, Mystery and Space Opera Genre Hopper

guest120

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2018, 04:58:13 AM »
I loved how each season in The Wire had a different focus.

Yep, 'The Wire' is one of the greats. Loved that show.

All four are really worth persisting with. Breaking Bad is incredible, Luther got better, and Broadchurch (UK version) seasons 1 and 2 were great.

I'm still planning on watching 'Deadwood'. I'll get around to it at some point.

Seems as though everyone around me has raved about 'Breaking Bad'. Made it part way through the second season and just found it a bit dull.

Admittedly, only made it through 4 episodes of 'Luther' before I gave up on it.

But, I'd made it mid-way through season 2 of 'Broadchurch' (UK) before I had to stop, I just really was not enjoying it. I think I went into it expecting something along the lines of 'The Fall' and was disappointed as it came across as a bit too melodramatic - definitely more so than 'The Fall', or 'Bosch', and definitely more so than 'Mindhunter'.

I guess this means I appreciate the procedural aspects more than I do the family or human drama elements. Then again, I really connected with the characters, family trials and tribulations and inter-personal dynamics from the early seasons of 'Game of Thrones', so...I don't know.  :icon_think:

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2018, 05:39:45 AM »

This post makes me and Dirk Benedict sad.   :cry:

I watched most of it, because I had a hard time not watching it, but I didn't enjoy it.  Too nihilist and depressing for my tastes.

What SyFy--or whoever--really needs to do is reboot Buck Rogers.  They need to keep it hopeful and inspiring, though, and not go all dark and gritty on it.  And they definitely need to keep the original theme music.  That stuff was awesome.

All they have to do is dial back on the camp and the cheese.  They do that, and it'll be a hit.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2018, 05:45:51 AM »
Archer season 9, and Midsomer Murders. The former only just appeared on Netflix, and I still have about 100 of the latter to go.

Anarchist

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2018, 05:47:17 AM »

I watched most of it, because I had a hard time not watching it, but I didn't enjoy it.  Too nihilist and depressing for my tastes.

I admit, I do love the dark stuff. That's why I'm excited to see what Quentin Tarantino does with Star Trek. :)

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2018, 05:47:46 AM »

Holy cow! So that's why the police chief always seemed familiar... I'd thought he might be the computer guy from Space 1999, but never got around to looking him up online.

JRTomlin

« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2018, 04:55:09 AM »
I am obviously not watching this yet, but damn I can hardly wait!!!

Tonyonline

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2018, 05:23:52 AM »
Fox - Constantine

But then...I suppose I would  :ices_angel_g: :evil:

Carleton Chinner

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2018, 01:45:18 PM »
Started Ghoul on Netflix last night, so good and so horribly creepy. Not one for timid late night watchers

Carleton ChinnerElectronic Allegorist

Anarchist

« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2018, 11:26:41 PM »
Just finished season 8 of The Walking Dead.

My reaction:

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2018, 12:09:25 AM »
Watching Broadchurch. Really enjoying it. Season 1 was great, and we're half way through Season 2

kathompson

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2018, 02:47:04 PM »
All last week and this week, the only thing I've really watched is the Doctor Who marathon on BBCA. And on Sunday, my asterisk will be planted in front of the TV for the start of the new season. I freaking love Doctor Who.  :dance:

The following users thanked this post: The Doctor

guest14

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2018, 05:02:01 PM »
I'm just about through Series 1 of Designated Survivor

It's not bad, plenty of cliffhangers. Acting is reasonable. Kiefer Sutherland isn't any different to Jack Bauer, except he has died hair and (has he had a facelift?). The female FBI agent stays immaculate despite being thrown around a lot. She also wears heeled shoes and clip clops around in a highly unstable way - not really impressive. Still, plots are good and keep me entertained. Looking at the stats, it goes down hill in Season 2 so I'm probably going to end it at that.

Ace Fletcher

• Fig Leaf in place
  • Flash Fiction unlocked
  • I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2018, 12:56:16 PM »
This summer I binge-watched all 6 seasons of Longmire.
Hell On Wheels was a pretty good series, and I really enjoyed Deadwood.

I thought The Americans was outstanding. At first the premise seemed implausible, I was prepared for a lot of disjointed plot shifts and silly dialog, but was pleasantly suprised.  The storyline became increasingly complex and suspenseful with each season.

I also like documentaries about conspiracy theories, shows about AI and singularity, and Bit Coin, blockchain, and data mining. I also listen to George Noory for the UFO stuff.

Basically, I have such ecclectic tastes that I'll watch whatever I'm in the mood for at the time.  Sometimes it's YouTube vids of Ray Kurzweil, Michio Kaku, variosTedTalks topics, etc.

Tonight I'm a little brain-dead so I don't want something with a complex plot. I think "Man with the X-Ray Eyes is on Prime...

« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 03:42:50 PM by Ace Fletcher »
I changed my password to 'incorrect'. That way when I forget, it always reminds me, "your password is incorrect".

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2018, 03:55:02 PM »
Tonight I'm a little brain-dead

I've been a little brain-dead since the kboards ToS eruption.  I'm not even sure I'm in the same universe I was in back in August.   :dizzy

Mark Gardner

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2018, 10:15:23 PM »
I'm just about through Series 1 of Designated Survivor

It's not bad, plenty of cliffhangers. Acting is reasonable. Kiefer Sutherland isn't any different to Jack Bauer, except he has died hair and (has he had a facelift?). The female FBI agent stays immaculate despite being thrown around a lot. She also wears heeled shoes and clip clops around in a highly unstable way - not really impressive. Still, plots are good and keep me entertained. Looking at the stats, it goes down hill in Season 2 so I'm probably going to end it at that.
Kiefer Sutherland is such a terrible actor, that only he could play the undersecretary to HUD. He's actually not bad in Designated Survivor.

I think that the final season of House of Cards dropped today, so I'm going to start watching that. I look forward to Princess Buttercup taking over.

Anarchist

« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2018, 11:29:35 PM »
I think that the final season of House of Cards dropped today, so I'm going to start watching that. I look forward to Princess Buttercup taking over.

Netflix is telling me that season 6 will be available on Nov. 2nd.

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

Mark Gardner

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2018, 12:23:54 AM »

Damn them! It was supposed to be out last year, but then the revelations happened...

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2018, 12:34:24 AM »

There were a few episodes I fell asleep watching.

But I did watch it.  I think it got better in the later seasons.

I think what bothered me most about it is that it really wasn't Battlestar Galactica at all.  It's like they just used the name to get eyeballs but it was largely a completely different show.  I would have felt better if they had just done it as their own thing from the start.

I was disappointed they cancelled Caprica so soon though.

What SyFy--or whoever--really needs to do is reboot Buck Rogers.  They need to keep it hopeful and inspiring, though, and not go all dark and gritty on it.  And they definitely need to keep the original theme music.  That stuff was awesome.

For the love of all things holy, not SyFy!!!  Ugh.  They'll either reboot it like they did Flash Gordon, cancel it after a season ends on a cliffhanger or cancel it in favor of a less expensive spin-off, probably centered on Twiki but all dark and brooding.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Anarchist

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2018, 12:48:06 AM »

Damn them! It was supposed to be out last year, but then the revelations happened...

Personally, I'm glad for the extra time. I'm currently in season 5 of Homeland (Hulu)...

... and I'm waiting for season 3 of Daredevil to drop (Netflix) on Oct. 19...

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2018, 02:38:38 AM »
Looking at the stats, it goes down hill in Season 2 so I'm probably going to end it at that.

It does go downhill in the second season.

Spoiler: ShowHide
They wrapped up the conspiracy storyline (in what felt like an extremely rushed manner) and basically turned it into another run-of-the-mill political drama.  Yawn.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

SCapsuto

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2018, 03:42:40 AM »
The very addictive Spanish series "The Ministry of Time" ("El ministerio del tiempo") on Netflix.

I already saw the first two seasons and the start of season 3 when they originally aired in Spain, but I'm rewatching them before diving into the bulk of season 3.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:45:24 AM by SCapsuto »
Steven is a full-time professional translator. His blog, "Between Wanderings," explores Jewish life and culture from the 1850s to 1920s through the words of people who lived then, and he is translating and publishing books from that era on the same topic. Steven is also the author of "Alternate Channels," about the portrayal of lesbian and gay characters on 20th-century American television. "Alternate Channels" was a semifinalist for an American Library Association book award.
Translator, Author and Lecturer
Steven Capsuto | Between Wanderings: Jewish Life, 1850s-1920s | Steven Capsuto, Translator | Steven Capsuto, Media Studies Author and Lecturer

oganalp

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2018, 04:04:34 AM »
Just finished Parks and Recreation for the second time. I love that series.

I am now watching Homeland season 6 and looking for something to watch with my wife. A thriller, murder mystery, mystery, something. We may check Idris Elba's series... What was it, "Dark?"

guest120

« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2018, 04:16:16 AM »
Tonight I'm a little brain-dead

I've been a little brain-dead since the kboards ToS eruption.  I'm not even sure I'm in the same universe I was in back in August.   :dizzy

I'm with you on that.

Gotta admit, you gave my heart a kickstart (cue Motley Crue!) when you said the new season dropped today.  :eek:

As much as I haven't liked the direction HoC had been moving in the past couple of seasons, I'm curious as anything to see what they do post-Spacey. I'm guessing he dies off-screen in a freak panther attack.  :catrun

TWErvin2

• I have my Waders ON
  • Tag Line unlocked
  • Never underestimate a Relic
    • ervin-author.com
« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2018, 11:54:37 PM »
Just beginning to watch Burn Notice, starting at Season 1 on DVD.

RCoots

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2018, 12:09:23 AM »
Stargate: Atlantis :)