Author Topic: Is there a decent instructional for doing paperback covers in KDP?  (Read 8709 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Is there a decent instructional for doing paperback covers in KDP?

I'm looking at this yet again, and it just looks too hard.

The KDP Creator is just crap. D2D's doesn't appear to be much better.

I can see there's a downloadable template to use in Photoshop, but it needs the number of pages. Where the hell do find that out from?

I really need a simple set of how to instructions for the whole process.

Can anyone point me to such a thing?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
Re: Is there a decent instructional for doing paperback covers in KDP?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 10:30:54 PM »
You'll know the number of pages when you build the .pdf content file to upload for the paperback book. The last physical page number, adjusted for front matter is that number.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 11:04:24 PM »
You'll know the number of pages when you build the .pdf content file to upload for the paperback book. The last physical page number, adjusted for front matter is that number.

:doh:

I'd forgotten all about that.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

DmGuay

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2021, 11:54:16 PM »
I create my interior PDF file first. Upload it, then download the cover template. You'll have the page number range, and that's all you need. The template is super easy to use if you have basic design software. Just keep all the words and important images inside the guidelines.

After I arrange the cover image, the spine, the back image, I then use a single color "fill" layer behind everything, just so no guidelines or spaces accidentally appear on the final. Save as PDF, then upload.

What design software do you have access to? Maybe someone here can give you tips based on what you use.

D.M. Guay | Web site

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2021, 11:56:45 PM »
What design software do you have access to? Maybe someone here can give you tips based on what you use.

Using Photoshop for covers.

DmGuay

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2021, 12:04:32 AM »
Oh. That should be straightforward then.

If you have any questions after you download your template, please post. Maybe we can guide you through.

D.M. Guay | Web site

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2021, 12:48:06 AM »
What the easiest way of doing the print pdf?

And what is normal in the eBook, but is left off in the Paperback? (Thinking mainly front and backmatter.)

DmGuay

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2021, 12:56:00 AM »
I do all the same front and back matter in my print book as in my ebook, except instead of hot links, I type out the web addresses for things like social media and newsletter sign up.

What program do you use for word processing and formatting your paperback interior file?

D.M. Guay | Web site

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2021, 01:01:40 AM »
What program do you use for word processing and formatting your paperback interior file?

Word for the eBook. 2013 version.

I've only done one paperback in the past, and I had someone on fiverr do the formatting at great expense.

No idea how to do it myself, but I know I can upload it to D2D and download the PDF version formatted. Just wondering if there's an easier way.

DmGuay

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 01:16:11 AM »
Unless you want to hand format it, or have software like Vellum, the D2D way might be the easiest way.

D.M. Guay | Web site

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 01:18:48 AM »
Unless you want to hand format it, or have software like Vellum, the D2D way might be the easiest way.

I don't have a Mac, and never will.

PC alternative?

idontknowyet

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 02:02:11 AM »
there's mac in cloud or atticus or people on fb that do it for $20-30

ihavent tried kindle create for pb yet but they are super simple for ebooks

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2021, 02:06:55 AM »

I've got 42 books to do at this point, and that's still climbing. I was thinking of just doing bundles, but the pages maximums cut out too short for where I'd need them to be.

Sp I'd prefer not to pay anyone if I can avoid it.

Kindle Create on the net is a load of crap. I've not tried the PC version, so I guess I should. But I'm not expecting anything different.

idontknowyet

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2021, 02:15:37 AM »

I've got 42 books to do at this point, and that's still climbing. I was thinking of just doing bundles, but the pages maximums cut out too short for where I'd need them to be.

Sp I'd prefer not to pay anyone if I can avoid it.

Kindle Create on the net is a load of crap. I've not tried the PC version, so I guess I should. But I'm not expecting anything different.
if you can get atticus a friend just re did all her pb it took like 20min a book and atticus costs like 100-150 right now i think

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2021, 02:20:25 AM »
if you can get atticus a friend just re did all her pb it took like 20min a book and atticus costs like 100-150 right now i think

It doesn't look like it's available at all.

No download button, just a join the waiting list button.

Vijaya

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2021, 02:43:57 AM »

And what is normal in the eBook, but is left off in the Paperback? (Thinking mainly front and backmatter.)

Tim, I download the template from KDP. I like 5.25" x 8" (13.34 x 20.32 cm) and copied my ms into the template. I use styles to format and went through and checked every page, esp. the beginnings and endings of chapters. Would revise my text if there were widows/orphans. Once the front matter and back were added and I was happy with everything, save it as a pdf and upload. I use Canva for making covers.

Good luck! You have lots of paperbacks to do. I found that the first one took me the longest. After that, it became easier.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2021, 03:08:42 AM »
Tim, I download the template from KDP. I like 5.25" x 8" (13.34 x 20.32 cm) and copied my ms into the template.

What template is that? Where do you get it?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 03:10:53 AM »

Tim, I download the template from KDP. I like 5.25" x 8" (13.34 x 20.32 cm) and copied my ms into the template. I use styles to format and went through and checked every page, esp. the beginnings and endings of chapters. Would revise my text if there were widows/orphans. Once the front matter and back were added and I was happy with everything, save it as a pdf and upload.

I don't like Word or use Word, but, for Word users, this would seem to be the way to go.  :thumb18:
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Vijaya

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2021, 03:30:43 AM »
Tim, I download the template from KDP. I like 5.25" x 8" (13.34 x 20.32 cm) and copied my ms into the template.

What template is that? Where do you get it?

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201834230

I first downloaded the one with the sample because the front/back are already formatted for the non-numbering of pages and but now I use my own revised one as a template.

RPatton

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 05:28:59 AM »
You need to build a template for a print file in Word (it's not that difficult to do, just time consuming) and then it's just a matter of popping your MS into the template.

Right now, the only windows option is either using InDesign, Atticus, or Mac in Air or whatever that cloud thing is called with Vellum.

As far as the cover goes, once you have your final page count, I recommend using bookow.com for their cover template (they'll generate a png, idml, and pdf file for you and they'll even add your barcode). For whatever reason, KDPs cover template is always slightly off (I think it's because it doesn't calculate spine width to the leaf, but to every 10 leafs).

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »
Just playing around with D2D's formatter.

Next Question:

Is it necessary to put the book title and author name on the top of every page?

I was thinking of doing a single generic book on D2D, from which I can do all the books, without needing to create every single one there. Especially since for now, I'm only thinking of having them in KDP, given that is where all my readers are.

But to do that, I need to suppress printing the book title on every other page, which also suppresses the author name. Is this bad?

I'm not sure I understood why they do that anyway.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2021, 08:31:22 PM »
This is just too hard.  :HB

So I get the cover all set up, and get told the size was different. Somehow the D2D end changed the size on me before I downloaded the inside, so I was 40 pages short for the middle.

Go back to Photoshop after resizing on D2D, and the new template adjusts to the existing size when you copy it over, so I can't change the look correctly to fit the slightly larger size.

Which implies you can't do a template for a series, and simply adjust by overlaying a new KDP template and replacing the front cover image and title. They all need to be done from scratch. And that takes too long, and will result in nothing matching up from book to book.

What am I missing?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2021, 11:33:58 PM »
Okay, second attempt went better.

I did a template for the left side and the spine. So all left sides in the series will be the same. And I have a guide to assembling the spine for each book, which can be deleted before completion.

Ordered my first proof.

Vijaya

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2021, 12:53:23 AM »
Tim, that's great. I've not used the D2D conversion but no, you don't have to have your name and title on each page. I actually find those things distracting when I read so I only keep page numbers at the bottom. My goal is for the pages to disappear when people read.

The following users thanked this post: TimothyEllis

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2021, 11:24:35 PM »
I managed to get into a rhythm of sorts today.

Not exactly motoring, but motoring on a bumpy dirt road.

Until that is I found a bridge out, and fell in.

It seems that with the new series mechanism, all my books from book 8 onwards in my first series got renumbered. I was never able to get this done in the old system, but it happened when I did it in the new one, and I didn't notice all the covers and front matter are wrong now. Bit of a dog's breakfast in fact.

So before I can go to paperback 9, I'm going to have to do surgery on the rest of the covers, and update the front and backmatter in the books.

Oh well, it needed doing sometime.

On the bright side, I've got 8 proofs on their way now.  :banana:

Vijaya

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2021, 03:39:10 AM »
 :cheers You're on a roll Tim.  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2021, 11:20:11 PM »
Marathon 4 day effort completed.

47 paperbacks completed. Waiting now for the proofs, and hoping I didn't stuff up something really basic.

First box should be arriving friday.

Thanks for all the help. In this thread and all my previous ones.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2021, 10:58:43 PM »
I couldn't stop.

I went on today and did the other 9 non-fiction books I wrote. (One was a bundle of 5 others).

I worked a full on normal week, and I'm exhausted!

Not long now, and for the first time since I started writing in 2006, I'll have all my own books on my bookshelves.  :banana: :dance: :banana:

Vijaya

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2021, 12:48:47 AM »
Not long now, and for the first time since I started writing in 2006, I'll have all my own books on my bookshelves.  :banana: :dance: :banana:

It'll be impressive. You've have to take a picture and post it here. Some of my books are e-editions only and I miss having them on my shelf.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2021, 01:50:44 AM »
It'll be impressive. You've have to take a picture and post it here. Some of my books are e-editions only and I miss having them on my shelf.

I definitely will.

None of my fans know I'm doing them yet, but I wanted to make sure the proofs are good, before announcing it. Pics will be a good announcement method.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2021, 11:24:02 PM »
First 8 arrived today, much to my surprise.  :banana: :dance: :banana:

So, any comments on them?

It looks like the spines are all slightly left of center, which is most obvious on book 8, but it looks like centering wasn't the right thing to do. They need to go to the hard right of where the line is, not centered inside the lines. Is this normal for amazon books?

The other question is, with the exception of 8, which needs changing, do the rest need the spine adjusted? Or not? Or is it a case of no-one will care, or everyone will care?

Anything else wrong you can spot?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 11:29:57 PM by TimothyEllis »

Vijaya

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2021, 11:53:19 PM »
They look great! I wouldn't worry about the absolute centering on the spine. Maybe add a couple of blank pages to the end to rectify if it bothers you. But no need.
You need a minimum of 100 pages for a spine so your Christmas mightn't be fat enough.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2021, 11:57:10 PM »
They look great! I wouldn't worry about the absolute centering on the spine. Maybe add a couple of blank pages to the end to rectify if it bothers you. But no need.
You need a minimum of 100 pages for a spine so your Christmas mightn't be fat enough.

It's not. Only 52 pages. I centered the spine image as best I could, but it seems it needs to adjoin the box for the front image. I'm going to fix that and get another proof if I can.

I've got 2 others with 64 pages. With luck, that will be enough that the 'not-spine' will be centered better.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2021, 01:37:34 PM »
Next question.

I'm working on a new companion book which is mainly colour images. And realized that Amazon does do colour, and I've already got a book which would be much better in colour.

The problem is, how do you get a colour interior?

D2D doesn't appear to have a colour option, and that's where I'm generating the pdf interior from.

Is there an alternative to D2D which does the same thing, only in colour?

Vijaya

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2021, 12:52:22 AM »
Amazon does do color printing, but it's more expensive and it's only available for certain sizes.
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201834180

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2021, 12:56:05 AM »
Amazon does do color printing, but it's more expensive and it's only available for certain sizes.

I found that, but how do you get a colour pdf to upload to them?

As far as I can see, D2D only does black and white. And Kindle Create is just bad.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2021, 01:02:46 AM »

I found that, but how do you get a colour pdf to upload to them?

As far as I can see, D2D only does black and white. And Kindle Create is just bad.

I've created colour pdfs via MS Word.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2021, 01:06:00 AM »

Is there a short cut for print ready pdfs?

I don't know word enough to convert it to do the page on each side thing, or the print to a trim size thing.

Last time I looked at that, it was way too complicated. So unless there's a one press button to do it? Using Word 2013.

ETA: I guess that goes back to my initial request.

Is there a set of instructions?

Eric Thomson

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2021, 01:26:19 AM »

Is there a short cut for print ready pdfs?

I don't know word enough to convert it to do the page on each side thing, or the print to a trim size thing.

Last time I looked at that, it was way too complicated. So unless there's a one press button to do it? Using Word 2013.

ETA: I guess that goes back to my initial request.

Is there a set of instructions?
Sorry. Don't know of any short cuts or instructions. I had to teach myself how to prepare print-ready interiors in MS Word. I've attached a copy of a pre-formatted 6x9 doc to this post. Maybe it'll help
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 01:36:12 AM by Eric Thomson »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2021, 01:35:56 AM »
Odd. That attachment isn't being recognized as a file, and when you click on it, it crashes the board.

Right click on it, and there is no save file option, only save link.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2021, 01:37:29 AM »
Hmm. Not a clue what the issue might be. Should I email you a copy?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2021, 01:38:48 AM »
Hmm. Not a clue what the issue might be. Should I email you a copy?

Please.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2021, 01:40:55 AM »
Check your PM

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2021, 06:17:31 AM »
Bookmarking this as I will be attempting a paperback shortly. Have only previously used CreateSpace.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Eric Thomson

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2021, 06:19:58 AM »
Bookmarking this as I will be attempting a paperback shortly. Have only previously used CreateSpace.
If you'd like the template I shared with Tim, let me know.

The following users thanked this post: Jan Hurst-Nicholson

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2021, 06:43:22 PM »
If you'd like the template I shared with Tim, let me know.

Thanks so much.  :) I will come back to you when I am ready for the print version. I'm busy organising illustrations, which adds another dimension of potential problems.  :icon_rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 11:05:42 PM by Jan Hurst-Nicholson »

LilyBLily

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2021, 10:19:56 PM »
Re the spines, Amazon insists it has the right to a certain amount of variance. The result is not the precision the big trad pubs get from the same printers, you can be sure. However, you were smart not to have a hard break in art or color between front and spine or back and spine. Most people will not notice the words on the spine are off center. These days I tell my cover designers to make sure the art (or at least the background color) bleeds from front to spine to back. That helps.

If the variance is so bad that the spine copy is wrapping around to front or back, you should take a photo and email Amazon support and get it reprinted at their expense. Many times, I've had to tell Amazon about manufacturing errors. Their printers are lazy and sloppy because these are short runs. On a long run, a printer knows that the files must be in perfect register or they'll have to eat hundreds if not thousands of unacceptable copies. So they're more careful with those orders.   

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2021, 07:43:13 PM »
The rest turned up today.

Looks like Amazon Australia only prints on demand on sundays, and they arrive on tuesday.

Only 1 goof. Somehow managed to put the wrong cover on 1 book.  :doh: :icon_think: :shrug :dizzy

Still, no problems with the rest, so now I start pricing and releasing.

The 2 games ones are David and Goliath.  :hehe

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2021, 04:27:29 AM »
Hope you get lots of sales after all the hard work  :)