Author Topic: joining IBPA  (Read 2568 times)

mike herman

joining IBPA
« on: December 02, 2018, 05:07:16 AM »
As a self pub author, is joining IBPA worth it? Anyone have any experiences with it?

Denise

Re: joining IBPA
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 12:50:50 PM »
I don't think so.

What are you looking to get from IBPA?

mike herman

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »
I don't think so.

What are you looking to get from IBPA?
That was really my question. What makes them valuable?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2619
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
What is IBPA?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

djmills

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 02:26:53 PM »
IBPA = Independent Book Publishers Association

https://www.ibpa-online.org/

You get discounts on different areas of publishing. Like discount on ISBNs, get your brochures into boxes mailed to bookstores, You can read up on it under Member benefits on their site.

Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon

Denise

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »
Frankly, I don't like them because in my opinion they list services which are not so great.

They also have the owner of a hybrid publisher in the board of directors. You know, those publishers who "select"  the writer, who only pays for part of the production of their book, which strangely costs 4 or 5X more than the market price for those services... They also list some of these hybrid publishers as legitimate publishers.

They have a special price for Netgalley which is super high, like 5 times what a Netgalley coop charges, and close to what you'd pay to go directly with them. 

The only good benefit is Ingram Spark discount, but IS has codes most of the time.

There's also Alli, which is similar, and I think it's better, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Edit: Sorry! I actually saw that with IBPA membership you can get a book cover design for only $2300!!! Wow, totally worth it.  :icon_rofl:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:24:08 AM by Denise »

The following users thanked this post: IW Ferguson, djmills, mike herman

djmills

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 10:03:44 AM »
Definitely what Denise said.
Remember, writers can do everything for free or a lot cheaper than what IBPA offers for a large price.
Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon

ilamont

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »
IBPA board member here. Before I joined the board, I was a standard member with no special insights. What attracted me to the organization at first was the member benefits (including discounts and its excellent magazine, IBPA Independent. Later, I took part in other activities and marketing programs, including some that are only available to IBPA members such as cooperative booths and newsletter/catalog programs targeting librarians, bookstore owners, and the press.

The programs and discounts that work for me include:
  • Ben Franklin awards. This program is independently judged (professionals in the book industry) and reasonably priced if you are a member. It's a real contest, and most submissions don't make the cut (as I learned the first year I submitted a title for consideration)
  • IBPA Independent. This magazine has hugely valuable insights into marketing, distribution, printing, bookstore sales, contracts, and other topics.
  • Library catalogs and cooperative advertising at events like the annual ALA conference.
  • Ingram discounts. This has saved me thousands of dollars in setup and annual maintenance fees the past few years alone.
  • Sample foreign rights agreement. I modified this for a reprinting agreement.
  • Total Printing Systems discount. Helped with two short-run digital printing runs for a title I released in 2016.

I have been less impressed with benefits like NetGalley, Grammarly, and some of the cooperative booth discounts at other shows. I don't think this is IBPA's fault as much as the programs didn't deliver value for what I am selling/wanted to do. I.e., getting a discount through another website or organization would have led to the same impression.

There are many benefits I haven't touched but I might be great value to others - a 15% discount on Bowker, NPD Bookscan, ABA Advance Access Program, book fairs targeting children's book markets, etc.

I can't speak to the design services mentioned by @Denise but if you hire professional book designers fees typically run into the thousands - IIRC my book Lean Media cost over $2,000 for cover and interior and another $1000 for pagination. The IN 30 MINUTES series I publish also cost several thousand to design the cover and template in 2015, less for a "refresh" earlier this year. Yes, you can "DIY" (as I did when I first got started, see http://www.digitalmediamachine.com/2012/09/do-people-judge-ebook-by-its-cover.html) or buy/use a template provided by a low-cost service or fiverr, but IMHO they rarely stand out.

Another important aspect of IBPA is advocacy on a range of issues. For instance, we took Amazon to task for taking away the Buy Box from the publisher for new copies. This policy may help sellers with legitimate new copies, but it also lets people with pirated copies, ARCs, or used books pass them off as new to buyers (see examples here and here)

IBPA's ultimate mission is to help publishers of all sizes succeed. They provide a lot of great tools and discounts and networking opportunities for what I consider to be a very reasonable price - some of the discounts basically pay for the membership.

I am the author of Lean Media: How to focus creativity, streamline production, and create media that audiences love. Lean Media website, Lean Media blog. I am also the publisher of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Follow me on Twitter at @ilamont.

The following users thanked this post: Tom Wood, mike herman

Denise

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2018, 12:03:05 PM »
IBPA board member here. Before I joined the board, I was a standard member with no special insights.

The programs and discounts that work for me include:
  • Ben Franklin awards. This program is independently judged (professionals in the book industry) and reasonably priced if you are a member. It's a real contest, and most submissions don't make the cut (as I learned the first year I submitted a title for consideration)
  • IBPA Independent. This magazine has hugely valuable insights into marketing, distribution, printing, bookstore sales, contracts, and other topics.
  • Library catalogs and cooperative advertising at events like the annual ALA conference.
  • Ingram discounts. This has saved me thousands of dollars in setup and annual maintenance fees the past few years alone.
  • Sample foreign rights agreement. I modified this for a reprinting agreement.
  • Total Printing Systems discount. Helped with two short-run digital printing runs for a title I released in 2016.

I have been less impressed with benefits like NetGalley, Grammarly, and some of the cooperative booth discounts at other shows. I don't think this is IBPA's fault as much as the programs didn't deliver value for what I am selling/wanted to do. I.e., getting a discount through another website or organization would have led to the same impression.

There are many benefits I haven't touched but I might be great value to others - a 15% discount on Bowker, NPD Bookscan, ABA Advance Access Program, book fairs targeting children's book markets, etc.

I can't speak to the design services mentioned by @Denise but if you hire professional book designers fees typically run into the thousands - IIRC my book Lean Media cost over $2,000 for cover and interior and another $1000 for pagination. The IN 30 MINUTES series I publish also cost several thousand to design the cover and template in 2015, less for a "refresh" earlier this year. Yes, you can "DIY" (as I did when I first got started, see http://www.digitalmediamachine.com/2012/09/do-people-judge-ebook-by-its-cover.html) or buy/use a template provided by a low-cost service or fiverr, but IMHO they rarely stand out.

Another important aspect of IBPA is advocacy on a range of issues. For instance, we took Amazon to task for taking away the Buy Box from the publisher for new copies. This policy may help sellers with legitimate new copies, but it also lets people with pirated copies, ARCs, or used books pass them off as new to buyers (see examples here and here)

IBPA's ultimate mission is to help publishers of all sizes succeed. They provide a lot of great tools and discounts and networking opportunities for what I consider to be a very reasonable price - some of the discounts basically pay for the membership.

Let's examine the benefits you listed:

- Ben Franklin Awards: It costs $95 to enter, when you are a IBPA member, or $225, which includes a one-year membership. So technically anyone who's interested in the awards will become an IBPA member.
Details here: http://ibpabenjaminfranklinawards.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2019BFA_CallforEntries-Brochure-Interactive.pdf  So ok, I guess, people who like to pay to enter for for awards could consider IBPA.

- IBPA independent: so it has tips for independent publishers? Are these tips something authors should consider, though, when the association has relations with hybrid publishers and could nudge them towards them?

- Advertisement is paid.

- Ingram discounts - Ingram usually has discount codes. That said, it's possible that perhaps, for someone who publishes a lot of paperbacks through ingram, and makes lots of changes, that IBPA could be worth it.

- Sample foreign rights agreement - I believe you could find it somewhere else.

- Discount for printing - I'd need to see the discount, but most authors use POD. Then again, I could bet my arm that you could find short-run prints for cheaper than with IBPA. I don't have data on that, but most authors use POD.

- Cover Design- Yes, many designers charge thousands of dollars, but indie designers usually charge between $200 and $800 for a cover. Reputable designers like Bookfly or Rebecca Frank charge much less than $1000. Ok, there's a long waiting list, but that's the price. By telling its associates that $2300 is a good deal for a cover, IBPA is doing authors a disservice. Not to mention that the designers listed don't seem to know much about independent publishing. Indie covers need to be different than trad covers. It's not IBPA's fault per se, since I guess they are service provider members, but an association for writers shouldn't be promoting less than ideal designers charging 4x the regular market price.

Advocacy is a good thing. So I guess there's one upside of joining IBPA.

And again, depending on the author's needs, the discounts could be useful.

But then, again, it is an association including the owner of hybrid publisher on its board.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:37:52 AM by Denise »