Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 12098 times)

The Doctor

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #300 on: August 12, 2019, 10:36:09 PM »
I'm currently making my way through Wire In The Blood, dark crime drama based on the books by Val McDermid.

And now series 5 is almost upon us, I thought it was time to give Peaky Blinders a go. Planning to watch the very first episode tonight.
Sounds intriguing from googling. Where are you watching this? on Hulu?

I'm in the UK - don't think we get Hulu here.

I'm watching Wire In The Blood via Amazon Prime, and Peaky Blinders via Netflix (though the episodes are probably available on the BBC iPlayer, too).

cecilia_writer

« Reply #301 on: August 13, 2019, 02:30:50 AM »
I've watched Good Omens on Amazon Prime - it's great (in my humble opinion). Just trying to decide if it's time to start at the beginning again.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Lynn

« Reply #302 on: August 13, 2019, 03:37:02 AM »
I've watched Good Omens on Amazon Prime - it's great (in my humble opinion). Just trying to decide if it's time to start at the beginning again.

I started at the beginning again just last night. :)

The next episode is going to be my reward for finishing my writing today.

Vinjii

« Reply #303 on: August 13, 2019, 07:16:15 PM »
I'm watching the second season of Big Little Lies, and Meryl Streep's character is creeping me out.

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2019, 11:47:10 PM »
I just finished watching Chernobyl. It was well produced. There were things I thought were a bit over the top, but on the whole I quite enjoyed it.

Also been watching anything to do with volcanic eruptions... research, you know.

Drew McGunn

Simon Haynes

« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2019, 02:20:15 AM »
Never tear us apart: the untold story of INXS. (One of my fave bands.)

WIP

>
>
>
>
>

Also

yWriter
(Mac/PC/Android/IOS)

and

SalesScanner (PC)

Lynn

« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2019, 02:36:12 AM »

Also been watching anything to do with volcanic eruptions... research, you know.

This is how I most enjoy a good research binge. Love the volcano shows. I keep thinking I'm going to get to that book idea someday, but every time I start it, I think, nope, need to watch one more documentary, and I go write something else.

Just watched Grantchester's new season. I enjoyed it. The new guy is interesting. Sometimes the mysteries get overshadowed by personal dramas but they're interesting enough that I don't mind. The characters are where this show shines.

PJ Post

« Reply #307 on: August 17, 2019, 03:34:59 AM »

Same story, same characters...very different takes. Both are really well written.

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

It may be an acquired taste, but  :tup3b

And I must say, I'm really looking forward to this one...

cecilia_writer

« Reply #308 on: August 17, 2019, 05:11:50 AM »

I started at the beginning again just last night. :)

The next episode is going to be my reward for finishing my writing today.

Started again tonight as nothing on tv.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

APP

« Reply #309 on: September 05, 2019, 10:51:11 AM »
I just finished watching Netflix's limited series (8 episodes) Green Frontier. It was excellent, except for the last minute--which I didn't think was necessary nor did I totally understand. That aside, I give it 5 stars out of 5 stars.

It's in Spanish with English subtitles.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #310 on: September 05, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
Watching old Perry Mason reruns. Goodness, he does skirt the ethics rules.

Also watching Meerkat Manor. It's like a soap opera with furry little 18" actors.

And my very favorite show, So You Think You Can Dance. Fantastic group this year and one of the best judges panels they've ever had.

Anarchist

« Reply #311 on: September 05, 2019, 11:15:37 AM »
Watched two short series.

First:

It's no Breaking Bad or The Wire, but it's a lot of fun. Unfortunately, it was cancelled by NBC after two seasons. Abigail Spencer of Rectify stars in the series. She's definitely got acting chops, including great comedic timing.

Second:

One of the worst series I've ever seen. It was cancelled by Fox after three seasons. Clayne Crawford of Rectify stars in the series. Like Spencer, he's awesome. But he couldn't make up for terrible writing and horrible acting by his co-star Damon Wayans.

Both series are currently available on Hulu.

"If taxation without consent is not robbery, then any band of robbers have only to declare themselves a government, and all their robberies are legalized." - Lysander Spooner

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Rosie Scott

« Reply #312 on: September 09, 2019, 06:44:11 PM »
I just started watching season 2 of Knightfall. It's a phenomenal historical fiction series that's scratching the itch left by waiting patiently for season 4 of The Last Kingdom. Before watching this I had no idea the History Channel could pull off such a fantastic series. The first episode of season 1 was the best pilot of a show I've ever seen, but then again, I'm a sucker for trebuchets.

The show will likely never get a season 3, which makes me pretty upset. Most reviewers on IMDB seem to mistakenly think it's a documentary rather than historical fiction, so its rating is lower than normal. I almost didn't watch it for this reason, but it ranks evenly with The Last Kingdom for me at a solid 9/10.

Edit: Oh, and it's on Netflix for anyone who wants to check it out.
Fantasy/dystopian/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, DrewMcGunn

Betty Blast

« Reply #313 on: September 10, 2019, 02:08:32 AM »
I just finished Another Life. The first five episodes were slow and hard to finish, but I'm so glad that I stuck it out because the last three episodes were fast-paced and intriguing. I'm hoping that it will be renewed for another season.

dgcasey

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #314 on: September 10, 2019, 03:07:10 AM »
Not watching anything right now. Not until the 10th of next month. Then we get the final season of the only show worth watching.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The Doctor

« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »
Just finished watching all 4 series of the highly-underrated Absolutely show.

It was a Scottish sketch series on Channel 4 (1989-1993). The show originated on radio, of which I'm making my way through now.

Betty Blast

« Reply #316 on: September 12, 2019, 02:38:07 AM »
I just started watching Carnival Row. It's steampunk with fairies, not quite what I expected.

PJ Post

« Reply #317 on: September 12, 2019, 03:22:08 AM »
I just started watching Carnival Row. It's steampunk with fairies, not quite what I expected.

Steampunk with fairies is a good description.

I was hoping, like I always do with shows like this, for it to be amazing. It's worth watching to be sure, but in the end I found it to just be okay. The problem with film and television these days is crap/lazy writing. Massive plot holes and character inconsistencies are ignored in favor of emotionally thematic moments, which utterly fail because they haven't been earned.

But I digress...

Carnival Row is a predictable, convoluted mashup of The Alienist and True Blood, with a few sprinkles of Game of Thrones added in for good measure. It's frustrating to, because, in spite of the heavy-handed social and political commentary, it could have been really really good. I believe the missing ingredient was nuance.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #318 on: September 12, 2019, 03:22:59 AM »
Binging on Mindhunter.  What's throwing me is the kind of sepia tone to the cinematography, which has me constantly thinking the series is set in the fifties, not the seventies. Obviously many people under the age of 40 worked on this series, and to them the late 70's are clearly ancient history.

WIP

>
>
>
>
>

Also

yWriter
(Mac/PC/Android/IOS)

and

SalesScanner (PC)

The following users thanked this post: RPatton

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #319 on: November 05, 2019, 04:11:27 AM »
Watched the latest season of Archer. It was funny, but definitely running out of steam.

Llano

« Reply #320 on: November 05, 2019, 07:12:59 AM »
I've pretty much given up on TV. I get enough politics and social justice shoved down my throat reading the news. I don't need more of it in entertainment.

JRTomlin

« Reply #321 on: November 05, 2019, 07:36:52 AM »
I watch very little tv because most of what is on does not interest or entertain me. What I do watch is generally on Netflix. It's not a series, but tonight I am finally going to watch ReMastered: The Miami Showband Massacre.  I put it off for a long time because I know that it will be upsetting.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 07:39:13 AM by JRTomlin »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #322 on: November 05, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »
Watched Tiny House World. There were only a few seasons, so I finished that.

Then I tried watching Travels by Narrowboat, but it was very boring just to watch someone traveling through a tunnel in a boat and I found the narrator/host/boat owner to be unsympathetic. I've been curious about narrowboats since I read the Hillary Greene mystery series. Hillary lives on a narrowboat and it's just like the name implies. Very long and very narrow and built to travel the canals of England.

I'm also watching reruns of the Carol Burnett show but I laugh so much that it annoys my dog. He really gets very upset.