Author Topic: What TV series are you watching right now?  (Read 35564 times)

Anarchist

Re: What TV series are you watching right now?
« Reply #400 on: October 26, 2020, 03:11:11 AM »

Season 1...

Interesting, mostly due to worldbuilding. If you enjoy the cyberpunk genre, you'll like this from a bird's-eye view.

Acting: A couple actors do solid work. Most do forgettable work. A few do consistently cringe-worthy work.

Writing: Uneven. Some good episodes and some bad episodes.

Directing: Solid. A few great sequences surrounded by really good ones. Poor choices here and there, but that's to be expected when you're relying on a stable of directors (unlike, for example, season 1 of True Detective).

Visuals: great. Big budget put to good use.

Overall: 7

Season 2...

A dumpster fire.

Acting: with the exception of one character, sh*tty.

Writing: terrible. Bad enough to make you curse the writers.

Directing: also terrible. Storytelling sacrificed for cool-looking scenes (which aren't nearly as cool-looking as the directors probably imagined).

Visuals: ho-hum. Lower budget than season 1. But rather than leaning into the storytelling, they tried to dazzle and totally missed the landing.

Overall: 2 (only saving grace was one particular character's arc).

I've just started watching Season 1, having decided I need Netflix in my life (I really don't, but I'll tell myself that). I'm finding it interesting to compare it to the book - read a long, long time ago. A lot of the elements are there and some of the side-stories / side-characters are really well done (I love the hotel AI). Sounds like I might need a distraction to get me through season 2, though!

If by "distraction" you mean hallucinogenic drugs, they can only help with season 2. ;)

Reminds me of Wayward Pines. The first season followed Crouch's trilogy fairly well. Good source material. And the show boasted a good cast, including Matt Dillon. The writing was good. The directing was pretty good. Solid season overall.

Season 2 of Wayward Pines sh*t the bed. Not even Jason Patric could save it.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Simon Haynes

« Reply #401 on: October 26, 2020, 03:22:30 AM »
Watching The Halcyon on Prime. Posh hotel in London, WWII. If they left out the drippy stuff and just showed the Spitfires I'd be much more interested.

I don't mind drippy stuff except when everything is just so predictable.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

PJ Post

« Reply #402 on: October 26, 2020, 03:41:44 AM »

Season 1...

Was all around entertaining.

:tup3b

Season 2...yeah, dumpster fire about covers it. I bailed on episode 2 or 3. My main issue was with the MC's personality change - he was just so unlikeable. This happens a lot with television. In order to facilitate a cinematic moment, they compromise story and character and emotional arcs and, well, pretty much everything. Film today is increasing a series of these cinematic moments all strung together at the expense of logic and consistency. As a result, nothing is earned and they just fall flat.

I think season 1 of True Detective was as good as it was because it leaned so much into character, and then character merged with story. Every moment was earned, which gave them emotional weight.

It's like Hollywood has learned nothing from Marvel - cinematic moments are driven by earned character arcs not CGI stunts. This subject always reminds me of Han Solo's death. It should have been epic, but ended up as a meh. What a waste.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

sliderule

« Reply #403 on: October 31, 2020, 09:12:06 PM »
Ready to settle in and watch The Mandalorian season 2.

Anarchist

« Reply #404 on: November 02, 2020, 10:25:06 AM »

Fantastic.

Wonderful storytelling. Wonderful directing. And a great cast (Regina King, always good, knocks it out of the park).

This limited series of nine episodes tells a different story than Moore's comic and Snyder's film. I love Alan Moore's work in comics; Watchmen was one of the best comic series I had ever read years ago. And while I'm not a huge Zack Snyder fan, I enjoyed his film Watchmen.

So I was leery about the TV series. I was not disappointed.

Side note: the series dives headfirst into racism. And it doesn't pull punches. I'm not black. If I were, this series may have offered a uniquely emotional viewing experience.

Well done, Damon Lindelof and Co. You've inspired me to watch The Leftovers again.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Simon Haynes

« Reply #405 on: November 25, 2020, 12:00:50 AM »
Watching Midsomer Murders from the beginning. In each ep, someone is killed and then, while the cops dither about sort of investigating, about half a dozen more people are slaughtered in various crazy ways. (It's set in a number of English country villages.)  Last night's ep was an elderly woman who wouldn't stay off the roof and someone who was pronounced dead by hotel ashtray.

Best part of the show is waiting for each 'corpse' to blink, swallow, breathe, twitch etc.

"Lord Fancypants has been dead at least two days" intones the detective gravely.

Wait for it... wait for it... There, he moved!

Usually the reason for all the crimes seems to be hand-waved away as 'because insanity' and on we go to the next ep.

It's not meant to be funny, it just is.

R. C.

• Novella unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • Ruairí Cinéad Duncatlin
« Reply #406 on: November 25, 2020, 01:03:43 AM »
Netflix short series: The Queen's Gambit

Highly recommended.

Cheers,
R.C.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 02:32:19 AM by R. C. »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #407 on: November 25, 2020, 09:23:02 AM »
Watching Midsomer Murders from the beginning. In each ep, someone is killed and then, while the cops dither about sort of investigating, about half a dozen more people are slaughtered in various crazy ways. (It's set in a number of English country villages.)  Last night's ep was an elderly woman who wouldn't stay off the roof and someone who was pronounced dead by hotel ashtray.

Best part of the show is waiting for each 'corpse' to blink, swallow, breathe, twitch etc.

"Lord Fancypants has been dead at least two days" intones the detective gravely.

Wait for it... wait for it... There, he moved!

Usually the reason for all the crimes seems to be hand-waved away as 'because insanity' and on we go to the next ep.

It's not meant to be funny, it just is.

Don't forget the mysterious black gloved hand pushing aside the branches to give a better view through the windows in many episodes.

I probably watched it for 17 seasons.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes