Author Topic: ACX bounty links within KDP ebooks?  (Read 208 times)

David VanDyke

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
ACX bounty links within KDP ebooks?
« on: June 22, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »
Anyone know offhand whether bounty links for ACX/Audible books are allowed within KDP ebook?
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Maggie Ann

Re: ACX bounty links within KDP ebooks?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 11:01:52 AM »
I don't see why not but I'm glad you brought it up. I put those links in my promos and I'm hoping to see some results in the next month or so.  :dog1:

angelapepper

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:15:04 AM »
AFAIK it's okay by Audible. They're okay with the links being put anywhere.

But KDP says no to links in our books that go to anything that collects information, which makes our mailing list signups technically against the rules, but lots of people do it anyway.

So, yes and no.

Bill Hiatt

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 03:20:21 AM »
I thought there was a rule against affiliate links. Was I wrong about that?

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

David VanDyke

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 04:11:59 AM »
ACX bounty links are not affiliate links, and are not part of the Associates program. They have a similar function, in a way, but not exactly. That's why I was seeking information. I couldn't find anything specifically prohibiting them in the TOS.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 12:28:15 AM »
When I asked The Fussy Librarian to use the bounty link, they said no because ...

Amazon prohibits the use of affiliate-type links in emails, anyway. Websites are fine, but not emails.

Don't know if it's considered the same thing as you want to do, but that's their interpretation of the rule.

Denise

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 03:28:20 AM »
When I asked The Fussy Librarian to use the bounty link, they said no because ...

Amazon prohibits the use of affiliate-type links in emails, anyway. Websites are fine, but not emails.

Don't know if it's considered the same thing as you want to do, but that's their interpretation of the rule.

But that's the thing, in the ACX blog they tell us to share the bounty link in emails!

That said, with whispersync, I don't think ebook readers will ever subscribe to Audible. I mean, why pay 14/month to get a book that they could get for $3 to $7 otherwise? Our ebooks are cheap, so even counting ebook + whispersync, it's cheaper than their monthly subscription.

I think their idea is to have a two-track system. Expensive audiobooks are for print readers. These people don't usually mind paying $20 for a book, and there's no reason they'll mind paying that much for an audiobook.

E-book readers read more and want to read cheaper, so they want to pay less, and they pay less with Whispersync.

Audible subscribers don't even know they could get the audiobooks for a cheaper price.

I mean, I think that's what it is. It also means I guess I won't get any bounties...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 03:42:22 AM »

But that's the thing, in the ACX blog they tell us to share the bounty link in emails!

That said, with whispersync, I don't think ebook readers will ever subscribe to Audible. I mean, why pay 14/month to get a book that they could get for $3 to $7 otherwise? Our ebooks are cheap, so even counting ebook + whispersync, it's cheaper than their monthly subscription.

I think their idea is to have a two-track system. Expensive audiobooks are for print readers. These people don't usually mind paying $20 for a book, and there's no reason they'll mind paying that much for an audiobook.

E-book readers read more and want to read cheaper, so they want to pay less, and they pay less with Whispersync.

Audible subscribers don't even know they could get the audiobooks for a cheaper price.

I mean, I think that's what it is. It also means I guess I won't get any bounties...

My April promo with Fussy brought in 71 whispersync purchases for all four books in the series plus the bundle and I'm still showing sales. Bounties would be a very nice bonus, and as far as I know, the bounty link was included on their website listing.  But I'm certainly thrilled with 71 sales and maybe a few of them will be more than the lowest whispersync royalty of 80c.