Author Topic: AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 3955 times)

anpacker

Re: AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
One of my grandfathers served in France in WWI. He would never talk about the war in any detail. We always figured it was because his experiences were too terrible to reminisce about.

When he died I was able to read his diary from the war years, and I discovered that after all the training etc he finally arrived in France quite near the end of the war. Then he came down with a sickness that kept him in hospital until after the Armistice was signed. He only spent a few days in the trenches, and there was no major action during that time. He probably never fired a shot.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that's why he didn't want to talk about the war. (There has to be a story in there somewhere, although it isn't my genre.)

I've never cared that he didn't win the Victoria Cross. If he'd seen more action and been killed, I wouldn't be writing this... ;-)

Genre: Epic Fantasy

JB Rowley

« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2019, 05:48:02 AM »
Lest we forget - what they did for us.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »
Any Aussie writers who are making a living from their work ... do you want to comment?

https://twitter.com/spacejock/status/1126068712019128321

(My reply to "Literary twitter - how many Australian writers do you reckon are currently making a living from their writing alone? I'm curious to hear your guestimates because I've made a list and checked it twice and...it's not very long.")

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Carleton Chinner

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »
Genrecon is on once more. :banana:

Brisbane's Biannual festival of all things genre is being held in November this year.

Right now there's a basic website where you can register your interest, with more to follow soon.

https://genrecon.com.au/

Carleton ChinnerElectronic Allegorist

ChristineB

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »
ACX:

Does anyone know how to go about getting in ITIN number for US Tax purposes? When you sign up to ACX they make you tick a box saying that you have a US tax number and I don't want to tick it if I don't have one. I want to jump into ACX but I need this first. There is an agent here who will do it all for me but they charge $299 and the whole procedure seems like a pain. If anyone knows any easier route please let me know! Thank you.

anpacker

« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
Hi,

I've recently gone through the process with ACX. It wasn't actually an issue for me, since I lived in the US for a few years and therefore have a US Social Security Number, and I've also retained a US bank account.

If that doesn't apply in your particular case, you might find this article interesting: https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/amazon-kindle-self-publishing-how-to-avoid-the-30-u-s-withholding-tax/. If it works it should be a _lot_ simpler than other methods.

All the best,
Allan

Genre: Epic Fantasy

ChristineB

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
Thank you so much.  I'll definitely check this out.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »
Still no joy ordering copies from KDP for delivery to Australia, but after seeing a recent comment about Lulu on a different site, I decided to go and price them up.

I was impressed that you can enter various details and get a per-book price (and a delivery cost) without signing in or giving your firstborn as a sacrifice. This included delivery to Australia.

I was very impressed with the printing price and delivery fee. (Postage, the books being printed locally in Australia, is very good.)

So, I dusted off my login from somewhere around 2003 or so, and signed in properly.

They don't offer the paperback size I use on KDP (5.25 x 8), but 5.5x8.5 is close enough to use my existing interior file.

For the cover, I fired up Indesign, downloaded the relevant Lulu template and resized my existing cover in under 10 mins. Saved to PDF, uploaded, done.

I was going to order three copies, which worked out about AU$8 each including postage (274 page novel), but I've decided to upload a couple more titles and get a mixed batch of books.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

The following users thanked this post: JB Rowley

JB Rowley

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2019, 02:32:19 PM »
I'd be very interested in how this goes for you Simon, e.g. how long delivery takes and your opinion of the quality of the paperbacks when they arrive.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2019, 03:48:38 PM »
Will do.  I have KDP copies to compare them to.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »
Got the Lulu books today - I'm impressed.  The interior print quality is no different to KDP, and the covers look better. (Bit more vivid than my last batch of KDP books.)

For any aussies trying to get hold of paperbacks, I would recommend doing a trial with one book first. It'll probably cost about A$15 including postage and you can then judge for yourselves. (Postage is cheaper the more books you order. I ordered 5 copies across 2 titles and it came to a total of $32, delivered.)

Now I just have to figure out how to sell copies locally!

Leo

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2019, 05:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the updates Simon, I know that Ingram Spark distribute widely. I sell quite a few though their distribution which includes Book Depository. Do you know if Lulu distributes to any online or bricks and mortar bookshops?
Post-apocalypse or epic fantasy anyone?
Or perhaps tarot and astrology are more up your alley?

Simon Haynes

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2019, 11:27:15 PM »
You can set up a distribution account, but I don't know anything about that. (I once used Lightning Source for that reason.)

I just needed to be able to buy copies locally.

JB Rowley

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2019, 06:56:56 AM »
Thanks for the updates Simon, I know that Ingram Spark distribute widely. I sell quite a few though their distribution which includes Book Depository. Do you know if Lulu distributes to any online or bricks and mortar bookshops?

Many thanks, Simon. Lulu looks like a better option than Amazon for print copies.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

Rinelle

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »
ACX:

Does anyone know how to go about getting in ITIN number for US Tax purposes? When you sign up to ACX they make you tick a box saying that you have a US tax number and I don't want to tick it if I don't have one. I want to jump into ACX but I need this first. There is an agent here who will do it all for me but they charge $299 and the whole procedure seems like a pain. If anyone knows any easier route please let me know! Thank you.

I thought ACX wasn’t available for Australian authors?

There used to be a detailed walk through for getting an EIN, which was what we used for Amazon before they started accepting Australian TFN’s. Not sure if that would work in this case?