Author Topic: Great Passive Voice blog post on plagiarism  (Read 126 times)

David VanDyke

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
Great Passive Voice blog post on plagiarism
« on: May 24, 2020, 03:25:35 AM »
...and how a big tradpub house seems to be defending plagiarism and at least one plagiarist.

The shoe seems to be on the other foot, and it's an indication of how corrupt the trades have become. At least in the past, it seemed like they were firmly against plagiarism and they sometimes targeted cheapo "self-publishers" who ripped off work using text spinners.  Now, they're the ones allegedly ripping off an individual author, text-spinning, and publishing, then defending. Really, they should cut loose and go after anyone in their stable of "writers" with so much evidence against them, IMO.

https://www.thepassivevoice.com/pamela-dumond-v-diversion-publishing-corporation-farrah-reilly-simon-schuster-inc-emma-chase-llc-emma-chase-and-simon-and-schuster-inc-case-number-22019cv08922-us-district-court-for-th/
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: Demon_Lord, alyson

Demon_Lord

• Short Novel unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.
Re: Great Passive Voice blog post on plagiarism
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 04:07:14 AM »
This case is important for the industry because this sort of thing is happening too much. And only the lazy ones get caught. The one who are creative enough to hide the original content and use only 'the non-copyrightable' ideas, get away with it. 

The fact that the trad decided to fight it, it's good because regardless of who wins, it will be exposure rather than putting the plagiarist author in the trash.

LOL A search for 'plagiarist author' result in a nice google page with pictures and names of the offenders. The publishing world might forget what they have done. But Google doesn't.

Also, since our law system is based on precedent, having a precedent is good for future cases.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 04:14:18 AM by Demon_Lord »

The following users thanked this post: alyson

alyson

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 12:06:51 PM »
When I clicked on the headline link, I thought this was going to be a discussion on the Omegaverse case that's surfaced recently.

A major publisher defending spinning is way more out there than mpreg...

Which I now understand better thanks to reading about the Omegaverse case.

Heading back to the far safer territory of my zillion unpublished traditional regency romances...

Thank you! Very interesting read, especially the comments.

The following users thanked this post: Demon_Lord

Demon_Lord

• Short Novel unlocked
  • FYI I often modify my post to correct typos.
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 01:16:49 PM »
When I clicked on the headline link, I thought this was going to be a discussion on the Omegaverse case that's surfaced recently.

A major publisher defending spinning is way more out there than mpreg...

Which I now understand better thanks to reading about the Omegaverse case.

Heading back to the far safer territory of my zillion unpublished traditional regency romances...

Thank you! Very interesting read, especially the comments.

WOW I'd missed the whole Omegaverse case. Thank you. It is a very interesting case that can set an important precedent. I'm particularly interested in Amazon's position, if they are going to change what they do about possible ‘Maliciously’ weaponizing the D.M.C.A." because of this case.

Here is an article about it:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/23/business/omegaverse-erotica-copyright.html

The thing is that unless the plagiarist author had copied scene after scene, and most importantly 'dialogue' it's very hard to win a case on 'ideas', and if the characters aren't trademarked, it's hard to win based on characters trademark infringement either. Also, one needs money for legal fees.

I learned that the hard way. In 2008 I made the mistake of publishing a few original stories in a online writers forum. A couple of famous authors, yes, the NY Best Seller types, used specific scenes from my stories in their books. My older sister and her husband, both lawyers, told me that unless the books became a multi-million best seller, it wasn't worthy to sue. The books never sold much, and I never sued. But it still bothers me just to remember the incident.

I also learned to register copyright before publishing anything, no matter what we are told about copyright. I still remember how furious I was when my sister touched my head and said, "there are more ideas from where those came from, remember that." Yeah, right. Those were really original action scenes, maybe that's why they stolen them.