Writer's Haven > Formatter's Forge [Public]

How can I tell if Amazon has my most recent file?

(1/3) > >>

LilyBLily:
I could go into Bookshelf>Edit Details and see the file name, but as you know, that will cause Amazon to want to re-approve it. Even though I'd like to believe that Amazon will not take the book off sale while it is deciding all over again to approve publication, I don't want to take the chance this weekend.

Is there another way? I went to Content & Devices>Read Now and what came up on my Kindle for the computer was my original text, even though it has the correct, newer cover.

Is this another instance of Amazon never updating the file it sends to new purchasers? Others have said here previously that it won't bother unless there are substantial changes. But if that is so, how does anyone ever update a file to eliminate typos? Which is what I did a couple of years ago, but now I'm wondering if Amazon ever bothered to acknowledge the update and what can be done about it.

TimothyEllis:
Assuming you bought your own book, if you look in Manage Your Kindle on the Amazon site, and see an update button on your book, then Amazon has provided the means for readers to update to the latest version.

But they almost never push it through automatically.

When you do an update, it does take a while to percolate through to the download. People get what they get. If they get the old copy, then it should show up with an update button on their MYK page fairly soon after.

Cover changes happen faster than content ones do.

RPatton:

--- Quote from: LilyBLily on July 04, 2020, 12:40:17 PM ---I could go into Bookshelf>Edit Details and see the file name, but as you know, that will cause Amazon to want to re-approve it. Even though I'd like to believe that Amazon will not take the book off sale while it is deciding all over again to approve publication, I don't want to take the chance this weekend.

Is there another way? I went to Content & Devices>Read Now and what came up on my Kindle for the computer was my original text, even though it has the correct, newer cover.

Is this another instance of Amazon never updating the file it sends to new purchasers? Others have said here previously that it won't bother unless there are substantial changes. But if that is so, how does anyone ever update a file to eliminate typos? Which is what I did a couple of years ago, but now I'm wondering if Amazon ever bothered to acknowledge the update and what can be done about it.

--- End quote ---

So, this is how it's supposed to work. Once files are updated any new purchasers will get the updated file. Previous purchasers will only get an update notification with a significant change. Correcting for typos isn't likely enough, unless you have several typos per page. To get an update pushed out to previous purchasers, you almost always have to make a request to Amazon and they will either push it or not.

Simon Haynes:
They wouldn't push my original Hal novel as a forced update (2011 vintage) even though the current version has a whole chapter removed along with minor edits throughout. I asked, they said no and made it optional. This, even though the audiobook version matches the current version, so whispersync will be useless for the ~200,000 people with the original, unless they update manually.

BTW the look inside on the product pages can be very slow to update, even if the cover has been updated. I guess KDP are used to dealing with publishers and their update schedule (never?), not indies.

TimothyEllis:
I got it done with my 2 second editions.

I used Word to compare the old version with the new version, and then took screen shots of all the crossed out and changed mess which resulted, and sent them those.

They okayed the push.

I'm seeing regular Update buttons on the books in my library, and I think Amazon changed their policy a while ago. Now when you flag a version change in the metadata, it puts an update button on Manage Your Kindle, and lets people update if they want to.

I've been doing regular updates for quite a while now, and most of these are Indie books.

So if you want to test it with a book of yours you bought, change something, change the version number, upload the new one, submit, then a few days later, see if the update button appears.

I'm going to test this myself if I remember in a few days. I've been doing some some backmatter updates, and one of them is the only one of my books I've bought (free), so hopefully I'll see the button in a few days time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version