Author Topic: D2D Problem  (Read 893 times)

APP

D2D Problem
« on: July 21, 2023, 12:22:26 AM »
Yesterday, I was on D2D's website, examining where my books were distributed. Though Scrib was NOT listed as one of the sites where my books were to be distributed to (I've intentionally stayed away from using them), I still found several of my books listed on the Scrib site. I've contacted D2D about this error, but I haven't yet heard back from them. Perhaps this screw up only pertains to my account, but if you have a D2D account, you may wish to check and see if your books are listed on Scrib without your authorization.

Of course, I realize D2D may not be responsible. Perhaps Scrib has taken them without authorization?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2619
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: D2D Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 12:25:12 AM »
Of course, I realize D2D may not be responsible. Perhaps Scrib has taken them without authorization?

Or they got pirated and put there.

If D2D comes back with not their issue, do a take down notice on Scrib.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 05:18:49 PM »

Or they got pirated and put there.

That would be my guess.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

cecilia_writer

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 11:44:42 PM »
Assuming you mean Scribd, I know Smashwords distributes to them, so maybe it's the merger that has caused this somehow, although it must be a glitch if you didn't choose to do it.
I've found recently that I've had quite a few page reads on Scribd, mostly from South Africa for whatever reason.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

APP

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 12:52:39 AM »
Assuming you mean Scribd, I know Smashwords distributes to them, so maybe it's the merger that has caused this somehow, although it must be a glitch if you didn't choose to do it.
I've found recently that I've had quite a few page reads on Scribd, mostly from South Africa for whatever reason.

Interesting, I was thinking the same thing.

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 01:22:35 AM »
A merger of that size might indeed produce glitches, though I'd think this glitch would be more likely if an author had selected Scribd distribution on one and not the other.

One way I could see it happening, though. If an author was distributing a book through Smashwords (including to Scribd), then pulled it from SW and put it up on D2D, but without distributing to Scribd, when the merger occurred, something like that could easily cause confusion.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

APP

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 02:06:33 AM »
I'd never been on Smashwords until D2D acquired them (or merged with them). And on D2D, I'd never check-marked Scrib. I'd heard some back things about them years ago and elected not to go there.

I have heard back from D2D, and they found nothing initially wrong. However, they said if I sent them additional information they'd try to track down how or why this is happening. A few minutes ago, I sent them the additional information and I expect I'll hear back from them within a day or two --- possibly longer since the weekend is upon us.

Lynn

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 06:44:00 PM »
Many years ago, a couple of my books ended up on Scribd because of pirate uploads. I sent takedown notices and they took them down. I also put the books on Scribd myself through Smashwords because they told me that they had a system that will stop people from uploading your books if they're already on the site. I've made some money there so it was worth it in the long run.

Are you saying that your books are showing on D2D's website that they're distributed to Scribd, or just that you found them on Scribd on your own and that you haven't distributed them there through D2D?
Don't rush me.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2023, 11:36:09 PM »
My guess would be pirates. Arrrrgh!

D2D is typically very good at what they do, and respond helpfully very quickly.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

APP

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 01:10:50 AM »
I just heard back from D2D . . .  and their response sucked!

Here's what they said:
Reviewing the links that you've provided in your previous email, they are already marked as unavailable on Scribd, meaning that they have already been delisted from Scribd. No further action is required.

No explanation at all as to why they were there in the first place! Talk about common decency. It's not present!

And on top of that, only a few have been delisted from Scribd. However, while I was examining my books' links, several vanished from Scrib. I'll check to see if the others are gone by this afternoon. If not . . .

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2619
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 01:15:17 AM »
And on top of that, only a few have been delisted from Scribd. However, while I was examining my books' links, several vanished from Scrib. I'll check to see if the others are gone by this afternoon. If not . . .

Then find out how scribd wants to get take down notices. And issue them.

But it does sound like D2D screwed up, possibly in the merging with Smashwords changes.

Give them another day or so, and then go to take down notices for the rest. But direct with Scribd.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

APP

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 02:14:28 AM »
I just finished checking the location of my books, and thankfully, they're no longer available on Scribd. However, to me this was a Major Screw Up on the part of D2D, yet they've never acknowledged it OR apologized! I consider this to be VERY poor public relations on their part.

Now I've always been direct with Amazon and I'll stay that way. At one time I was also direct with Kobo and Barnes and Noble, but since I sold very little there, I decided to use D2D for these outlets. Years ago, I also looked into going direct with Apple, but they had too many hoops to jump through, so I went with D2D. But after this latest incident, I'm now thinking of pulling out of D2D and going direct with these other companies again. Will I do it? I'm not sure, maybe, maybe not--as it would be a pain to do, and up until this point I'd been satisfied with D2D.

Anyway, this ends this tread.

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer