Author Topic: AI Content Question  (Read 652 times)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
AI Content Question
« on: September 29, 2023, 12:59:42 AM »
In updating my WIP this new option appeared in the Content Section of KDP:

AI-Generated Content

Amazon is collecting information about the use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools in creating content.
What is AI-generated content? (*)
Did you use AI tools in creating texts, images, and/or translations in your book?  (Yes, No)

(*) We define AI-generated content as text, images, or translations created by an Artificial Intelligence-based tool. You agree to adhere to our KDP Content Guidelines as part of the terms and conditions of your participation in the KDP self-publication and distribution program.

R.C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2619
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: AI Content Question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 01:13:05 AM »
This is several weeks old now.

I've already got rid of the only Bot generated image I'd been using.

They're using it for statistic collecting at the moment, but I've no doubt the button was also put in to either drop books with a Yes on them into the dungeon, or unpublish them completely.

The explanation makes a distinction between ChatGPT and MidJourney type of thing, and Photoshop sort of tool. The latter is a No.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

PJ Post

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 01:24:26 AM »
To be clear, the latest version of photoshop and other graphics applications use generative AI. If you use those specific features, check the box.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 01:27:42 AM »
To be clear, the latest version of photoshop and other graphics applications use generative AI. If you use those specific features, check the box.

No. Those programs were specifically exempted.

In any case, I don't use current versions, and as long as they're subscription, never will.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 01:47:26 AM »
As far as I know, Affinity Photo does not use generative AI either, so that's another "safe" tool, if you don't mind the Internet activation scheme they use with version 2.

I use an older version of Photoshop as well as Affinity Photo v1.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 01:51:21 AM »
The other point worth making is that even if some programs are deemed to contain the Bot functions, if you don't use them there is nothing to declare.

But if Amazon decides to include that kind of software, then they're going to need to list each version of each product requires a yes. And I can't see them doing that.

PJ Post

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 01:59:41 AM »
Adobe's AI was trained exactly the same as everyone else's as far as I know. I think the safest approach is to assume that the info page hasn't been updated yet. I would recommend that if you're using Generative AI, regardless of app or platform, you should check the box.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2023, 02:02:14 AM »
Adobe's AI was trained exactly the same as everyone else's as far as I know. I think the safest approach is to assume that the info page hasn't been updated yet. I would recommend that if you're using Generative AI, regardless of app or platform, you should check the box.

Just as a matter of interest, exactly what functions in Photoshop do you include in this? Just curious.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 02:05:12 AM »
The keyword in Amazon's wording is "created by."
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

PJ Post

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 02:27:25 AM »
Photoshop has a new AI 'bot' called Firefly. It's slowly being incorporated into Adobe's suite of products. Photoshop currently uses generative AI in a number of ways, mainly for backgrounds and compositing (generative fill). The good news is that if you use AI within Photoshop, Adobe tags the image as such so everyone knows.** I have no idea how that works for copyright. I think the more powerful AI features are still in Beta, and Adobe specifically states that none of the work created within their Beta Apps can be used commercially.

** just looked that up.

eta: it's more powerful than I thought. Here's a video that explains it better than I can.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 02:40:24 AM by PJ Post »

The following users thanked this post: Lynn, R. C.

Lynn

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 03:16:15 AM »
The video does a good job explaining things.
Don't rush me.

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 11:42:16 PM »
I haven't really used Photoshop for much besides cropping or changing resolution--functions that have been available for years. The AI functions, like offering to add a lighthouse to the top of a hill, that kind of thing, seem very obvious and easy to avoid to me.

From what I understand, a lot of other products clearly label AI functions. The Edge browser identifies its AI output in response to searches, and Chrome still has an on and off switch for that. If companies continue to behave responsibly, it won't be that hard to avoid AI use, or at least know when one is using generative AI, going forward.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

She-la-te-da

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2023, 12:07:38 AM »
A lot of "AI" stuff is showing up in the stock image sites (I think all listed as such). But people who don't realize what they're doing will be using these images and not checking the "AI" box. This could lead to problems for them. Also, some don't care.

I personally will not use any so-called AI, in writing or cover designing. My old version of PS works fine, and if it quits I'll find something else with no "AI" functions.

I will not read any books created with "AI", in whole or in part. And if one sneaks by me, it will get a bad review.

This AI thing is getting out of hand. Even Fiverr now adds "AI" to the wording on their ads.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.