Author Topic: The Garden Thread that two people wanted  (Read 4561 times)

Mark Gardner

Re: The Garden Thread that two people wanted
« Reply #250 on: September 02, 2020, 09:53:57 PM »
I pulled all the river rocks out and finished the bed. One of my concrete caps broke, so I'll need to replace it. I dug out a bunch of gravel and used it to fill in the cinder blocks. It's not level so there are gaps, but I'm not *too* concerned about that.

notthatamanda

« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2020, 01:13:25 AM »
Is the soil you put in going to be a full 12 inches deep? It looks about that deep. I've got a less elegant bigger set up, but I am going to be putting in an underground soaker hose and topping it with loam for a raised bed type thingy. Unsure how deep to go with the loam, complicated by the fact in the spring I'll move the compost there and top again.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2020, 01:48:58 AM »
The cinder blocks are ~8" deep. I figure the average height of the river rocks will be ~5" tall. I'll dig out the bottom about an inch so I can remove some plastic sheeting that's under the gravel. With a 2" cap, I expect to have 6" of growth medium. I'm thinking the bottom 4" will be filler dirt and some dried leafy material. The top 2" will probably be a mixture of mushroom compost, steer manure, vermiculite, perlite, raised-bed soil, and potting mix. (It's what I make for the potted flowers and vegtables.) Then when planting season starts, I'll cover with red mulch for the tomatoes and brown mulch for everything else.

I'm doing open-air compost for leafy yard waste, egg shells, coffee grounds, and fruit peels. I'd like to get a rotating composter, but the decent ones are ~$200.

I thought about a soaker, especially since my rain barrel is only about eight feet away. It's also about four feet higher, so gravity might be enough to push through. In the end, I decided to just hard-water the bed.

Is the soil you put in going to be a full 12 inches deep? It looks about that deep. I've got a less elegant bigger set up, but I am going to be putting in an underground soaker hose and topping it with loam for a raised bed type thingy. Unsure how deep to go with the loam, complicated by the fact in the spring I'll move the compost there and top again.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 01:52:04 AM by Mark Gardner »

Vijaya

« Reply #253 on: September 03, 2020, 02:24:30 AM »
It's still got a lot of life. If you add another taller support, you'll get more. And that's a lovely square of a garden plan! The kitchen garden is my favorite.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

LilyBLily

« Reply #254 on: September 03, 2020, 04:03:53 AM »
I dream of the day when I will have a reliable source of water again instead of a well. I gave up watering my plants when I discovered that I lost all water pressure in the house after doing so. The previous house had a very deep well, but even so, I more reliably got water leaking in my basement than on my plants. And then there's the little matter of sunshine. I'm in a forest. It's quite picturesque, but there's not much sunlight.

My tomatoes on the deck are about done. Between the many days of high heat and now daily downpours, they've given up. The colchicum (often confused--by me--with autumn crocus) is coming up and soon to bloom with a lovely pinkish lavender color. No sign of the lycoris, but I'm still hoping. 

notthatamanda

« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2020, 04:22:15 AM »
The cinder blocks are ~8" deep. I figure the average height of the river rocks will be ~5" tall. I'll dig out the bottom about an inch so I can remove some plastic sheeting that's under the gravel. With a 2" cap, I expect to have 6" of growth medium. I'm thinking the bottom 4" will be filler dirt and some dried leafy material. The top 2" will probably be a mixture of mushroom compost, steer manure, vermiculite, perlite, raised-bed soil, and potting mix. (It's what I make for the potted flowers and vegtables.) Then when planting season starts, I'll cover with red mulch for the tomatoes and brown mulch for everything else.

I'm doing open-air compost for leafy yard waste, egg shells, coffee grounds, and fruit peels. I'd like to get a rotating composter, but the decent ones are ~$200.

I thought about a soaker, especially since my rain barrel is only about eight feet away. It's also about four feet higher, so gravity might be enough to push through. In the end, I decided to just hard-water the bed.

I have a rotating one and it is not all it is cracked up to be. Can't put that much in it. We have an earth machine that we got from the town recycling commission and that is the best. If I was really into finishing the compost having two of those would do. As it is we just pile it in there all winter, spread it in the bed in the spring and cover with a landscape tarp for a couple of weeks, turn before planting.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #256 on: September 04, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »
Todayís update. The cinder blocks are done. Itís not level at all. Put down breathable weed cloth both to keep weeds out, and to help hold the volume of dirt. The river rocks are back in, and thereís gravel in there. All to help support drainage.

notthatamanda

« Reply #257 on: September 08, 2020, 09:57:02 PM »
I moved a lilac bush to the other side of my front door. The one I did last fall did flower this spring so I think it is a better, sunnier spot for it. It was only about 4 feet tall but there is still plenty left over in the original patch.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #258 on: September 09, 2020, 11:20:46 PM »
Today, I'll probably move a tomato and pepper plant to the raised garden bed. I also have radish sprouts, but I think I'll keep them in their container. The girls are very interested with Aubrey demanding she be allowed to water the empty bed.

LilyBLily

« Reply #259 on: September 10, 2020, 03:20:31 AM »
Very cute, and about as effective as the watering I do.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #260 on: September 10, 2020, 04:48:40 AM »
Transplant complete.

idontknowyet

« Reply #261 on: September 18, 2020, 01:19:50 AM »
I finally got a chance to check my sweet potatoes. Though the first ones weren't supposed to be ready until the end of the month i pulled some up.

They are perfectly formed disease and bug free, but they're tiny. It's like i have fingerling sweet potatoes. I think i'm going to give them another month in the ground.