Author Topic: Has anyone ever bought an office chair that helps?  (Read 796 times)

The Bass Bagwhan

Has anyone ever bought an office chair that helps?
« on: June 12, 2024, 08:14:40 PM »
Seriously, every chair on every site is labelled as "ergonomic" and so on. Age, posture and a lifetime of lifting heavy stuff has giving me a bad back which is exacerbated by sitting in front of a screen all day. Yes, I stretch, do exercises, get nagged by the love of my life to keep moving ... but has anyone ever bought an office chair that genuinely benefits them in regards to reducing the sorts of lower back pain associated with long periods of sitting?

Can't stand all day, unfortunately. Years of rolling my ankles playing sport foil that idea.

Yep, I'm a wreck. I bleat continuously about my pathetic lot in life. I just don't want to spend big dollars on an "ergonomic" chair that doesn't really do anything.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Oh, by the way, I live in the boondocks so I'm talking buying online. Otherwise I'd try everything in-store myself.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2619
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Has anyone ever bought an office chair that helps?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2024, 09:59:56 PM »
Yep.

High backed plush executive chair.

Now peeled, hard from long use, and on it's second gas lift. Probably about to drop dead at any moment. Not replaceable either, as I think the company that made them vanished. It's something like 15 years old now. Absolutely perfect for me, and it took me sitting in 50 chairs to choose it.

I've replaced it twice now.

First one turned out to be too hard everywhere, and even with a cushion on it, the back just wasn't right. I went back to the old one.

Just replaced it with a new one I found by accident. $999 marked down to $189 high back executive in fabric. Not in any way worth $999, but with the same cushion I;ve been using for several years now, seems to be doing the job for now.

The thing is, when your back is an issue, you have to forget about money, forget about ergonomics, and find the chair that is right simply by sitting in all of them until you find it.

For me, it has to be high backed executive. No other shape will do. And it can't be fake leather or even real leather, given how humid it gets here in summer. Narrows the options a lot.

This is the new one, but it's not quite that grand for real.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 10:04:20 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: djmills

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2024, 10:10:37 AM »
Hmm ... you're probably right, Tim. I'm just going to have to make an effort next time I'm in the Big Smoke and actually sit in a zillion chairs until I find one.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2024, 05:11:17 PM »
Are you using a laptop computer or a desktop?
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2619
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2024, 06:15:26 PM »

Or a laptop or tablet with a normal monitor and external keyboard?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2024, 09:48:32 AM »

Or a laptop or tablet with a normal monitor and external keyboard?

That too.  Bass Bagwhan, whatever you're using, tell us your setup.

hjmoritzo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2024, 09:22:31 PM »
I use a kneeling chair because I have a tendency to slouch (I still slouch!) which hurts my lower back. Putting a lumbar support behind my back helped a little bit also hurt my back so I tried something different. I can sit for a couple of hours at a time swapping from kneeling to just putting my feet on the base of my desk and perching on the seat and have no pain.

Wonder

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2024, 04:57:21 AM »
I bought a used Herman Miller Aeron chair for a couple hundred bucks eight years ago, and it's been a game changer for my back and body.

If my Aeron chair ever dies, I will weep! They're ridiculously expensive when purchased new, but I'd definitely recommend grabbing a used one if you can.

Wonder

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2024, 08:21:43 AM »
I'm still waiting for the toilet recliner from Idiocracy.

Come on, La-Z-Boy.  Get to it!   :ices_angel_g:

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2024, 09:20:47 AM »
Sorry everyone, I completely forgot about this thread! I have a "standard" office chair at a large desk with two large monitors which are important for my editing and website work. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse — hopefully the keyboard will last forever because I've yet to see another with such a low, light action — but its all not portable or really moveable. Like hjmoritzo, I soon slump and slouch in the chair.

I'm making the effort to stand and stretch regularly ... getting better at remember that.

Herman Millar Aero ... I'll check out the prices with one eye closed!

Thanks.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2024, 01:37:36 PM »
Try putting a couple of pillows in the chair behind you.  Not kidding.  It might just do the trick.

Full-size bed pillows, not those useless little throw pillows.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2024, 07:10:14 PM »
Try putting a couple of pillows in the chair behind you.  Not kidding.  It might just do the trick.

Full-size bed pillows, not those useless little throw pillows.

It's a good idea. It does feel like I need something substantial shoved into the small of my back to force my shoulders back.

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2024, 05:44:37 AM »
I use a kneeling chair because I have a tendency to slouch (I still slouch!) which hurts my lower back. Putting a lumbar support behind my back helped a little bit also hurt my back so I tried something different. I can sit for a couple of hours at a time swapping from kneeling to just putting my feet on the base of my desk and perching on the seat and have no pain.

I also have a kneeling chair, a typist's chair and a swivel/rocking executive chair with arm rests. I use each in turn trying to make sure I don't get a bad back. But I do suffer if I try sitting on a low stool while gardening.  :icon_rolleyes:

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website