Author Topic: Hoping for help from any Sydney-sider folks. Or anyone well-travelled in Oz  (Read 269 times)

The Bass Bagwhan

I'm setting a short story inside one of the underground train stations in Sydney. I'm damned if I can remember what the Line/Stations are generally called? I know it's part of the Metro, but do regular users refer to these as "the subway"?

Cheers for any help.

djmills

This link might help. https://www.sydneymetro.info/sydney-metro/stations

Also this:
"What are the underground train stations in Sydney?
Underground stations stations such as Crows Nest, Barangaroo, Castle Hill and Hills Showground are built underground in tunnels using a 'cut-and-cover' approach. Open cut stations such as Cherrybrook, Bella Vista and Tallawong are built as open cut stations. They are open to the sky, but below ground level."
Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon

The Bass Bagwhan

Thanks DJ, I'm more wondering how locals call the underground stations. Would they say, "Let's catch a train from the subway?"

djmills

Sorry, I don't know what they say these days. You would have to ask someone who does use Sydney Rail.

I used to say (and still do) "I will catch the train at [station name] to [station name]."

Now, for Brisbane, I used to say 15 years ago, "I will catch the train at Underwood and get off at South Brisbane."

Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon

Escapee

We don't use 'subway' here in Australia. That's an American thing. Ditto with "I'm getting on the train at x station and getting off at x station."

The Bass Bagwhan

Thanks everyone, I can work with this! Cheers.

The following users thanked this post: Escapee