Author Topic: Seeking advice - How to library a book  (Read 256 times)

Hopscotch

Seeking advice - How to library a book
« on: August 06, 2024, 01:56:05 AM »
How do I get a book placed on a library shelf?  Ie, what's the most cost-effective production and distribution method and the best way to draw librarians' attention to the book?  :confused:
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Seeking advice - How to library a book
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2024, 04:08:54 AM »
Bribery.

Seriously, if your book is wide, and the library takes ebooks, maybe it will take yours from the appropriate distributor.

Librarians are very influenced by reviews in trusted publications. https://libguides.ala.org/marketing-to-libraries/reviews Many of these don't do indie books (though notice that there are instructions on how to submit material to the first two mentioned.) Kirkus Indie and Forward Reviews also take indie books (for a fairly high price).

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

Vijaya

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2024, 12:18:56 PM »
Hopscotch, it's hard getting self-published books in libraries. I usually donate a copy to my local library. You can also ask friends to ask for your book at the library--I think if three people ask for the same book, they might consider buying it. Good reviews help but it's very costly to purchase reviews from reputable journals like Kirkus or SLJ. Darcy Pattison has talked about going to the Texas Library Association conference and many of her books get picked up by the libraries. She is a wonderful writer and teacher and will have more tips about getting books into libraries. Good luck!

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2024, 01:45:02 PM »
Tough... Books I've landed in libraries appear to be from sheer luck (I'm referring to ebook availability, not paperback). I'm thinking the librarian actually read the book or a friend/acquaintance did. I don't know of a way of purposefully landing them there.

I've read that it helps if you ask for your books in a library to show interest, but I haven't done that.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2024, 11:54:05 PM »
Cutting to the chase in all the above, libraries have a budget and have to carefully curate what they have in their inventory. You certainly could donate your physical copies to a local library, but getting some kind of wider distribution isn't really possible because each library chooses its own purchases according the demand of the local demographic.
That's a kind of sweeping explanation and might not be entirely accurate for certain places, but you get the idea.

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2024, 12:10:41 AM »
Cutting to the chase in all the above, libraries have a budget and have to carefully curate what they have in their inventory. You certainly could donate your physical copies to a local library, but getting some kind of wider distribution isn't really possible because each library chooses its own purchases according the demand of the local demographic.
That's a kind of sweeping explanation and might not be entirely accurate for certain places, but you get the idea.
As far as I know, that's pretty accurate.

Another consideration is shelf space. Aside from newly opened libraries, you won't see empty shelves just waiting for new books in most libraries. They often have to cull books to make room for new acquisitions. That means even sending a copy to a library may not get you shelved. It's possible a local library might carry the works of a local author. But beyond that, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |