Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 36509 times)

Anarchist

What movie did you recently watch?
« on: October 04, 2018, 01:52:36 AM »
We're all storytellers, so I assume most of us enjoy watching films.

What did you watch recently? How would you rate it on a scale from 1 to 10?

I'll start...

Rating: 8

Your turn.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 02:01:02 AM »
Just watched it last night. Again.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Lex

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 02:18:09 AM »
I'm all about horror this time of year.

The Wailing (available on Netflix, FYI)

Rating: 9/10

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 02:24:16 AM »
I'm all about horror this time of year.

The Wailing (available on Netflix, FYI)

That movie was awesome!

Speaking of horror, Train To Busan was also good (and also on Netflix).
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

The Doctor

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 02:39:55 AM »
A double-bill of The Lady in the Van, starring Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings, and The Limehouse Golem, starring Bill Nighy.

The former a semi-biographical account of writer Alan Bennett's encounters with a homeless woman over the decades.

The latter,  an entertaining Victorian Gothic tale about a London serial killer in the years before Jack the Ripper.

The following users thanked this post: Lex

Lex

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 03:49:45 AM »
That movie was awesome!

Speaking of horror, Train To Busan was also good (and also on Netflix).

Just watched that one, as well!
I highly recommend A Tale of Two Sisters if you like Korean Horror.  It's my favorite.

Lex

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 03:50:15 AM »
The latter,  an entertaining Victorian Gothic tale about a London serial killer in the years before Jack the Ripper.

That sounds excellent!

Anarchist

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 03:57:40 AM »

Just watched that one, as well!
I highly recommend A Tale of Two Sisters if you like Korean Horror.  It's my favorite.

Nice! I just added A Tale of Two Sisters to my Watch list. :)

guest120

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 03:59:54 AM »

Just watched this last night with my better half. Hadn't seen it in years. Not as good as I'd remembered. Still decent though.

I give it: 7/10.
She gives it: 10/10. (have to keep in mind though, Keanu is one of her movie boyfriends)

oganalp

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 04:01:49 AM »
Just watched Avengers: Infinity Wars.

It was OK. I enjoyed watching it, but it was suffering from having too many characters, and not giving enough screen time to most.

Oganalp Canatan | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Goodreads

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 04:52:55 AM »
The last movie I watched was Jumanji. I wasn't going to watch it because how can you top Robin Williams.

I'm so glad they went in a different direction so I was able to enjoy the movie for what it was. 9/10 because as the nuns always told me, nobody's perfect.

The Doctor

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 04:59:25 AM »

That sounds excellent!

It is. I was pleasantly surprised.

guest642

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 05:35:21 AM »
Ant-Man and the Wasp. Meh. It's a nice safe Marvel movie. 6/10 because I knew what to expect and it didn't disappoint, but it also didn't wow me in any way whatsoever.

For reference, here are my scores for other, recent Marvel movies:

Black Panther: 6/10 (It was aiiight, but man, what shoddy CGI!)
Avengers: Infinity War: 8/10 (Wow, that ending!)

Rick Partlow

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 05:47:03 AM »
If we're talking in the theater, the last one I saw was Ant Man and the Wasp, which I'd give a 7.5.  Great SFX, engaging characters.  A bit light on plot.
If on TV, I watched Infinity War again, for about the 12th time.  9 out of 10.
Before that, Wind River, which was also a 9 for different reasons.  Love that movie.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 07:38:19 AM »
I just realized that it's been a couple of months since I've seen a movie.

Thor: Ragnarok.  All of the critics loved it.  I enjoyed the other two, but this one annoyed the crud out of me.  I was surprised that my husband and son didn't care for it, either.

5/10, and I'm being extremely generous.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 07:48:39 AM »
I don't watch a lot of new movies.  I mainly just re-watch stuff I have on DVD.  I think the last one I watched was Patton.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

guest120

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »
Ant-Man and the Wasp. Meh. It's a nice safe Marvel movie. 6/10 because I knew what to expect and it didn't disappoint, but it also didn't wow me in any way whatsoever.

For reference, here are my scores for other, recent Marvel movies:

Black Panther: 6/10 (It was aiiight, but man, what shoddy CGI!)
Avengers: Infinity War: 8/10 (Wow, that ending!)

I feel the same about Ant-Man & the Wasp. 6/10 seems about right. I'd give Black Panther 5/10. I was surprised. I thought it'd be a lot better considering the reaction from critics.

The Infinity War ending was pretty cool. I'd give that flick a 7/10.

I just realized that it's been a couple of months since I've seen a movie.

Thor: Ragnarok.  All of the critics loved it.  I enjoyed the other two, but this one annoyed the crud out of me.  I was surprised that my husband and son didn't care for it, either.

5/10, and I'm being extremely generous.

Wow, it's amazing how tastes differ. I really enjoyed Thor Ragnarok...I'd give it 8/10.

Anarchist

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 08:28:32 AM »
I'd give Black Panther 5/10. I was surprised. I thought it'd be a lot better considering the reaction from critics.

I'd give it a 3/10.

I couldn't wait for it to end. The only reason I watched the entire thing is because I heard it's part of the lead-in to Avengers: Infinity Wars.

I've read there was concern among some critics that they'd be accused of racism if they criticized Black Panther. South Park even made fun of it...

True? Untrue? I dunno. Black Panther was terrible either way.

Becca Mills

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 09:13:13 AM »
The Wife. 6/10. Glenn Close's performance was terrific, but the story felt ... conventional? Not complex enough? Not sure. Something about it left me blah.
Recently Read ...

guest120

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
I've read there was concern among some critics that they'd be accused of racism if they criticized Black Panther. South Park even made fun of it...

Ugh. There's a lot of this happening in our movie culture at the moment. It's discouraging.

RCoots

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
I am currently slogging my way through Black Panther in fits and starts. I wanted to like it I really did. I can't figure out if it's because I'm a writer that the story was so obvious to me, or if Marvel just telegraphed it that bad, but I really was disappointed in comparison to my expectations.

Anarchist

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
I am currently slogging my way through Black Panther in fits and starts. I wanted to like it I really did. I can't figure out if it's because I'm a writer that the story was so obvious to me, or if Marvel just telegraphed it that bad, but I really was disappointed in comparison to my expectations.

Based on reviews, this was me sitting down to watch Black Panther...

... then, while watching Black Panther...

... and finally, right after the end credits...

Anarchist

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »
On a positive note, I watched The Hurricane this past weekend (it's on Hulu).

Great movie. Solid storytelling and terrific acting.

Rating: 8

Becca Mills

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 12:12:53 PM »
Anyone see Leave No Trace? Loved that one -- subtle, restrained, beautifully acted. 10/10.
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »
Anyone see Leave No Trace? Loved that one -- subtle, restrained, beautifully acted. 10/10.

That looks terrific. It's now on my Watch list. :)

Becca Mills

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 12:31:39 PM »

That looks terrific. It's now on my Watch list. :)

It is so good!
Recently Read ...

Becca Mills

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 12:32:49 PM »
Then again, I really like Black Panther:icon_mrgreen:
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 01:22:15 PM »

I'll stop dumping on it. :)

Becca Mills

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »

I'll stop dumping on it. :)

But I liked your gif essay! :)
Recently Read ...

guest642

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 10:47:44 PM »

Ugh. There's a lot of this happening in our movie culture at the moment. It's discouraging.

A lot of it has to do with the fact many reviewers are also on social media 24-7, and it's almost imperative they stick to the "right opinions." I'm not saying what the "right" opinions are, I'm just saying... If you want to keep your job, it sometimes behooves you not to ruffle feathers in 2018.

Lex

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »
The last movie I watched was Jumanji. I wasn't going to watch it because how can you top Robin Williams.

I'm so glad they went in a different direction so I was able to enjoy the movie for what it was. 9/10 because as the nuns always told me, nobody's perfect.

I was so ready to hate the new Jumanji. A remake of a 90s kids movie? Come on. But it was really fun. I'd agree with the 9/10.

The following users thanked this post: TinkSaid

guest120

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »

A lot of it has to do with the fact many reviewers are also on social media 24-7, and it's almost imperative they stick to the "right opinions." I'm not saying what the "right" opinions are, I'm just saying... If you want to keep your job, it sometimes behooves you not to ruffle feathers in 2018.

In other words, don't give your honest opinion, even if it's in no way racially/politically motivated and you're judging the art based on the merits of the art itself.  :shrug

Becca Mills

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 01:59:02 AM »

I was so ready to hate the new Jumanji. A remake of a 90s kids movie? Come on. But it was really fun. I'd agree with the 9/10.

Anyone have a vote on whether that movie would be okay for a pair of eight-year-olds? Excuse me, eight-and-a-half-year-olds? I saw the trailers and thought maybe ...
Recently Read ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 05:30:51 AM »

Anyone have a vote on whether that movie would be okay for a pair of eight-year-olds? Excuse me, eight-and-a-half-year-olds? I saw the trailers and thought maybe ...

Well there's the one scene with Jack Black where he's actually a girl who got turned into a man for the game and he discovers ... The Appendage. As an adult  :icon_rofl:

Overall, it might be too intense in some scenes for that age.

The following users thanked this post: Becca Mills

Anarchist

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 05:35:15 AM »
I finished watching Taken starring Liam Neeson a few minutes ago. (It's on HBO.)

Rating: 6

Becca Mills

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 05:42:37 AM »

Well there's the one scene with Jack Black where he's actually a girl who got turned into a man for the game and he discovers ... The Appendage. As an adult  :icon_rofl:

Hmm. I *think* they'd find the appendage-discovery quite amusing ... maybe also sort of horrifying. Hello Freud.  Grin
Recently Read ...

guest120

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 05:58:21 AM »

Becca, at first I was going to mention that 'Jumanji' does feature some intense action scenes and a bit of humor aimed more at adults, but then I remembered that I saw 'Blade Runner' when I was eight, so measuring based on that bit of anecdotal evidence, 'Jumanji' should be fine. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, and I could see kids getting a kick out of it. Keep in mind though, I don't have kids of my own, so my barometer may be off on that.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 05:59:04 AM »

Hmm. I *think* they'd find the appendage-discovery quite amusing ... maybe also sort of horrifying. Hello Freud.  Grin

Judge for yourself.

Becca Mills

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 06:21:45 AM »

Becca, at first I was going to mention that 'Jumanji' does feature some intense action scenes and a bit of humor aimed more at adults, but then I remembered that I saw 'Blade Runner' when I was eight, so measuring based on that bit of anecdotal evidence, 'Jumanji' should be fine. I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, and I could see kids getting a kick out of it. Keep in mind though, I don't have kids of my own, so my barometer may be off on that.

Sounds like it'd be okay -- thanks, abides. Stuff that's significantly raunchy, gory, or disturbing is a no-no, but general fantasy-type action/violence is fine. Like, Star Wars has been fine. Ant-Man and the Wasp is fine. The very first Jurassic Park, where the lawyer gets gulped down whole -- that's fine. The next one, where two dinos visibly pull someone apart between them, and there's stringy bits ... gonna wait a bit longer on that.

We took them to see Crazy Rich Asians, and they liked it. But at the beginning, one of them leaned over and whispered, "Is this a kissing movie?" Props for the unwitting Princess Bride reference, eh??  :cheers

Some of what gets to them is hard for adults to predict. You know that bit in Back to the Future where Michael J. Fox has a photo of himself and his siblings, and it's erasing from the bottom up as alterations to the past threaten to change the future? That bothered one them quite a bit. Never would've occurred to me beforehand as an issue.
Recently Read ...

guest120

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »

Sounds like it'd be okay -- thanks, abides. Stuff that's significantly raunchy, gory, or disturbing is a no-no, but general fantasy-type action/violence is fine. Like, Star Wars has been fine. Ant-Man and the Wasp is fine. The very first Jurassic Park, where the lawyer gets gulped down whole -- that's fine. The next one, where two dinos visibly pull someone apart between them, and there's stringy bits ... gonna wait a bit longer on that.

We took them to see Crazy Rich Asians, and they liked it. But at the beginning, one of them leaned over and whispered, "Is this a kissing movie?" Props for the unwitting Princess Bride reference, eh??  :cheers

Some of what gets to them is hard for adults to predict. You know that bit in Back to the Future where Michael J. Fox has a photo of himself and his siblings, and it's erasing from the bottom up as alterations to the past threaten to change the future? That bothered one them quite a bit. Never would've occurred to me beforehand as an issue.

Yes, if I recall correctly, 'Jumanji' is mostly, maybe even all, fantasy-type violence. That's funny about the 'Back to the Future' thing. You're right, I wouldn't have thought any part of that film would bother a child, but one's perception of certain concepts can be hard to predict. I remember being quite affected by Cameron's emotional moment staring into a painting at a gallery during a Smiths song in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', so I guess you never know. 'Jumanji' doesn't really have anything in it that's quite that nuanced or emotionally intense, as far as I can recall, so it should be pretty safe.

Becca Mills

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2018, 06:59:46 AM »

Yes, if I recall correctly, 'Jumanji' is mostly, maybe even all, fantasy-type violence. That's funny about the 'Back to the Future' thing. You're right, I wouldn't have thought any part of that film would bother a child, but one's perception of certain concepts can be hard to predict. I remember being quite affected by Cameron's emotional moment staring into a painting at a gallery during a Smiths song in 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', so I guess you never know. 'Jumanji' doesn't really have anything in it that's quite that nuanced or emotionally intense, as far as I can recall, so it should be pretty safe.

Adding it to our list ... thanks!

Oddly, I don't even remember the moment you mention in Ferris Bueller. Interesting how artworks speak to different people differently, eh?
Recently Read ...

guest120

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 07:21:13 AM »

Oddly, I don't even remember the moment you mention in Ferris Bueller. Interesting how artworks speak to different people differently, eh?

Yeah, I think it was the combination of the melancholy of the song and Cameron's own internal battle/existential crisis (though I wouldn't have been able to articulate it as that as a kid) that he was reckoning with and contemplating during that moment of reflection staring into the painting that got to me emotionally. It's like he saw the turmoil in the child in the painting and recognized something similar in himself - a recognition of the loss of his own innocence or a yearning to be understood and recognizing that he never had - and you could read it on him, which was also conveyed in the way the scene was cut together as well.

Of course, like anything else, it's entirely possible I'm reading way too much into this.  :icon_redface:

Becca Mills

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 07:30:45 AM »

Yeah, I think it was the combination of the melancholy of the song and Cameron's own internal battle/existential crisis (though I wouldn't have been able to articulate it as that as a kid) that he was reckoning with and contemplating during that moment of reflection staring into the painting that got to me emotionally. It's like he saw the turmoil in the child in the painting and recognized something similar in himself - a recognition of the loss of his own innocence or a yearning to be understood and recognizing that he never had - and you could read it on him, which was also conveyed in the way the scene was cut together as well.

Of course, like anything else, it's entirely possible I'm reading way too much into this.  :icon_redface:

No, I think you're right -- there's a lot going on there. (Just went and found it on YouTube.) Definitely seems like a moment of realization for the character.
Recently Read ...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 10:15:05 AM »

Cameron was the conscience and the tragic hero of the movie.   :icon_cry:

Anarchist

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2018, 12:34:27 AM »
Saw this movie for the third time.

Horror is tough to do right. This one nails it.

It's currently on HBO.

My Dogs Servant

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2018, 02:56:36 AM »
Saw a mention of  THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN THE WALLS. Had never heard of the book or the film, but it was Jack Black and Cate Blanchett and the trailer looked like fun and  it was a rainy afternoon and I was in the mood for a theatre movie so....

Blech. Two hours and ten bucks I'll never see again. I kept thinking about walking out but since I wasn't familiar with the book I wanted to know the end (it was even worse than I'd feared).

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2018, 03:16:28 AM »
Saw a mention of  THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN THE WALLS. Had never heard of the book or the film, but it was Jack Black and Cate Blanchett and the trailer looked like fun and  it was a rainy afternoon and I was in the mood for a theatre movie so....

Blech. Two hours and ten bucks I'll never see again. I kept thinking about walking out but since I wasn't familiar with the book I wanted to know the end (it was even worse than I'd feared).

I don't know. I liked it. Of course, I like movies like that. Nanny McPhee and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children are the kind of movies I like and Clock fits right in there with them.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Anarchist

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2018, 03:35:23 AM »

I don't know. I liked it. Of course, I like movies like that. Nanny McPhee and Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children are the kind of movies I like and Clock fits right in there with them.

Eli Roth, torture porn and cannibal horror auteur, directed a PG film?!

guest642

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2018, 04:57:36 AM »
Just saw MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT.

Good entry into the series. Nothing original or creative, but ticks all the right boxes for fans of the genre and series. It's like a good book series -- gives the reader everything they want, but doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. Everyone put in a good day's work, but that's about it.

guest120

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2018, 06:59:39 AM »

Good entry into the series. Nothing original or creative, but ticks all the right boxes for fans of the genre and series. It's like a good book series -- gives the reader everything they want, but doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. Everyone put in a good day's work, but that's about it.

I think the bathroom scene is the best thing about that movie.

guest642

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »

Probably because it's the most "realistic" sequence in the whole movie. Everything is was over-the-top and silly. That sequence belonged more in an indie action flick.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2018, 02:56:15 PM »

Haven't see it yet, but I will. Most likely when it hits Redbox.

Bathroom scene? Anything like the one in True Lies?   Grin

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2018, 03:09:28 PM »
On the subject of bathroom scenes, my favorite is the one from The Best of Times.  Always gets me in the feels, man, when Elly says, "I want you... to kill Bakersfield."

PJ Post

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »
+1 on Train to Busan
+1 on Jumanji. A lot of fun.
+1 on Black Panther, Infinity War and Ragnarok. 10/10 on the superhero movie scale.

Others...

But it's no Big Hero 6.

A quality "zombie" outing, but not as epic as The Crazies.

Not as good the first one, but meta enough.

Evenly paced video-game excitement, but a bit jumpy.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 05:43:20 PM »
Rampage, which was really silly but not terrible.

Ready Player One which I found disappointing. Unlike a lot of very vocal people, I enjoyed the book, and probably made a mistake watching the movie after reading the book, so I kept going "But why did they...ah, never mind."

guest14

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
My list of forthcoming Netflix downloads for the next 30 days.

Circle
Hold The Dark
MARS
Stratton
The Beyond
The Angel
Marco Polo
Operation Finale

Anarchist

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »
Watched this one last night...

Rating: 3/10

Terrible directing. Terrible writing. Terrible acting.

Consider this a PSA.

guest120

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2018, 04:39:20 AM »
Yeah, agreed on 'The Commuter'...it was terrible.

Same can be said for 'Hold the Dark'...awful.

Becca Mills

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2018, 05:20:31 AM »

Probably because it's the most "realistic" sequence in the whole movie. Everything is was over-the-top and silly. That sequence belonged more in an indie action flick.

It's a measure of just how over-the-top these flicks are that it seems even scare-quote "realistic" for people to get thrown into walls hard enough to rain down plaster and broken tiles and still be perfectly functional.

Totally enjoyed it. 8/10.  Grin
Recently Read ...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2018, 07:24:26 AM »
Watched this one last night...

I don't have a problem with Neeson as an actor, but he seems to have a way of gravitating towards mediocre or bad movies.  If a movie stars him, then that's a pretty safe bet the movie should be avoided, even if Neeson puts in a great performance.

Tom Wood

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2018, 07:46:22 AM »
... Ready Player One which I found disappointing. Unlike a lot of very vocal people, I enjoyed the book, and probably made a mistake watching the movie after reading the book, so I kept going "But why did they...ah, never mind."

I was ready for a big change in the story, so the movie worked for me just as well as the book. I like both.

Spoiler: ShowHide
In the movie, they fixed the one thing I didn't like about the ending in the book. Wade absolutely had to be in double-jeopardy during the final battle - in VR and IRL. Ever since they did that at the end of the original Matrix, it seems to me to be a required setup for stories that have two worlds.

guest642

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2018, 07:55:20 AM »

It's a measure of just how over-the-top these flicks are that it seems even scare-quote "realistic" for people to get thrown into walls hard enough to rain down plaster and broken tiles and still be perfectly functional.

Haha, for sure. The final 10 minutes or so, with the helicopters... God. I had to pick my eyeballs up from the floor after they fell out of their sockets from rolling around so much.

PJ Post

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »
I don't have a problem with Neeson as an actor, but he seems to have a way of gravitating towards mediocre or bad movies.  If a movie stars him, then that's a pretty safe bet the movie should be avoided, even if Neeson puts in a great performance.

He is an actor with a very particular set of skills, skills he's acquired over a very long career...including Jesus metaphors, a Jedi and the world's worst parent - three times! :tup3b

Yeah, agreed on 'The Commuter'...it was terrible.

I assumed Commuter was going to be bad enough to avoid, thanks for the confirmation. On the other hand, I started watching Hold the Dark...and then remembered I could stop. So I did.

Hollywood and television have become a wasteland again. The bigger stuff is all reboots and sequels and spin-offs and remakes of crap we never asked for. Disney's Star Wars (the poster child for this sh*t) just sucks. Nearly 10 hours of new movies and not an original idea in sight, but we totally know how Han got his name. WTF? I heard someone call Solo a live action version of his Wiki page. I can't believe Amazon hasn't put it in the dungeon, you know, with the whole...um...sex toy, sentient, mechanical blow-up doll thing? Can you imagine having sex with Marvin...

Marvin, can you fondle Lando? Can I fondle Lando? Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to give Lando a chubby. Call that job satisfaction? Because, I don't.

:HB

Anarchist

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2018, 08:11:07 AM »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely avoid it. :)

I get nostalgic whenever I see Neeson's name. For example, I watched The Commuter with the memory of Rob Roy, Michael Collins, and Schindler's List.

Man, talk about setting myself up for disappointment.

Becca Mills

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »

Haha, for sure. The final 10 minutes or so, with the helicopters... God. I had to pick my eyeballs up from the floor after they fell out of their sockets from rolling around so much.

What, you didn't buy
that strap and hook holding up not one but two helicopters?
I can't imagine why.  :icon_think:

Still, it was pretty awesome.  Grin
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »
A quick note of thanks to all for using the SPOILER feature.

As someone who's behind on the latest releases, I appreciate it. :)

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Becca Mills

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »

BTW, anyone else out there as obsessed with Moana as I am?
Recently Read ...

Tom Wood

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2018, 10:21:45 AM »

I managed to spoil the movie Jacob's Ladder for someone recently, so I'm aware of the possibility. That movie is 28 years old, and still I was chastised. Not that there's anything to spoil...

Anarchist

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2018, 12:15:27 PM »

I managed to spoil the movie Jacob's Ladder for someone recently, so I'm aware of the possibility. That movie is 28 years old, and still I was chastised. Not that there's anything to spoil...

I think there's definitely a statute of limitations on films. But I have no idea where to apply it.

I figure if I haven't seen a film that's been out a few months, that's my problem. :)

On another note, I just watched Mississippi Grind...

Rating: 8/10

I love movies about gambling. This one was surprisingly good. (Having said that, for poker aficionados, it's tough to beat Rounders.)

Mississippi Grind is currently on Netflix.

guest120

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
I must admit, I have no idea how to use the 'Spoiler' feature. Trial and error, I guess?

Also, I don't want to be the reason you don't watch 'Hold the Dark', because...well, you might like it...hard to say - tastes differ.

Having said that, I do have misgivings. Without giving away spoilers (at least I don't think I am), my main problem with the movie was the languid pace which I believe the filmmakers utilized on purpose as a superficial means of lending the story some kind of depth and meaning where none actually exists or I suppose to lend some kind of suspenseful moodiness to the whole thing, but for me that fell flat.

There's a lot of mystical mumbo-jumbo and plot points that seem to have been added just for the sake of trying to appear deep or give the movie a theme for the sake of doing so and to me it was totally transparent that's what was going on. The film induced a lot of eye-rolls and had me asking 'what was the point'?

And really, it's a shame, because the cast is pretty good and also, if they'd concentrated on a couple of other aspects of the story, IMO, you could've wound up with something along the lines of 'Wind River' or 'No Country for Old Men' (both of which I liked a lot) or hey...even '30 Days of Night' which is a guilty pleasure for me.

When it comes to Liam Neeson...can't forget he's in 'The Lego Movie'. I love that flick.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
When it comes to Liam Neeson...can't forget he's in 'The Lego Movie'. I love that flick.

A strong exception to the rule.  Or, rather, an awesome exception.   :banana:

Tom Wood

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2018, 01:32:17 PM »
I must admit, I have no idea how to use the 'Spoiler' feature. Trial and error, I guess? ...

Click on the Sp button to create the tags, then:

PJ Post

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
+1 on Jacob's ladder too. Super creepy.

guest120

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
I must admit, I have no idea how to use the 'Spoiler' feature. Trial and error, I guess? ...

Click on the Sp button to create the tags, then:

Thanks for this!

Everything is cool when you're part of a team!

The Doctor

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2018, 09:29:36 PM »
Saw this movie for the third time.

Horror is tough to do right. This one nails it.

It's currently on HBO.

Brilliant movie! Which ending did you watch? The US or UK one?

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2018, 05:04:57 AM »
Just saw the new Ghost in the Shell. I liked it! I saw the original so long ago I honestly hardly remember any of it. I liked the world building and the characters of this new one.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2018, 05:10:46 AM »
... Ready Player One which I found disappointing. Unlike a lot of very vocal people, I enjoyed the book, and probably made a mistake watching the movie after reading the book, so I kept going "But why did they...ah, never mind."

I was ready for a big change in the story, so the movie worked for me just as well as the book. I like both.

In the movie, they fixed the one thing I didn't like about the ending in the book. Wade absolutely had to be in double-jeopardy during the final battle - in VR and IRL. Ever since they did that at the end of the original Matrix, it seems to me to be a required setup for stories that have two worlds.

Good point about the ending. I always struggle to be fair to a movie, if I have read the book. I actually really liked the actors, I thought Wade, H, ar3mis (can't remember the spelling!) were all great. A bit disappointed with Daito and Shoto who seemed a bit side lined in the movie version though.

Anarchist

« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2018, 05:28:44 AM »

I saw the U.S. version, but I've read about the UK version. It sounds like a great ending!

Which one do you prefer?

Tom Wood

« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2018, 05:41:26 AM »

Good point about the ending. I always struggle to be fair to a movie, if I have read the book. I actually really liked the actors, I thought Wade, H, ar3mis (can't remember the spelling!) were all great. A bit disappointed with Daito and Shoto who seemed a bit side lined in the movie version though.

I really like Jenny Nicholson's thoughtful analysis of movies. Be prepared though, she kinda destroys the magic. Here's her take on RPO:

Anarchist

« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2018, 07:25:30 AM »
I had the displeasure of watching this one today...

Rating: 4/10

Excerpt from Roger Ebert's review:

Heinlein intended his story for young boys, but wrote it more or less seriously. The one redeeming merit for director Paul Verhoeven's film is that by remaining faithful to Heinlein's material and period, it adds an element of sly satire. This is like the squarest but most technically advanced sci-fi movie of the 1950s, a film in which the sets and costumes look like a cross between Buck Rogers and the Archie comic books, and the characters look like they stepped out of Pepsodent ads.

Ebert had a way with words.

Tom Wood

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2018, 07:32:58 AM »
Ebert, and pretty much every critic at the time, missed that it's a satire of the source material.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
Ebert, and pretty much every critic at the time, missed that it's a satire of the source material.

This.  "Faithful to Heinlein's material"?  Gimme a break.  Ebert obviously never read the book.  Neither did Verhoeven, if I recall correctly.

For the record, I'm one of the few that actually likes the movie better than the book.  In the movie, we actually see battles and stuff.  In the book, it's all telling, not showing, and all the cool stuff happens off-screen.  But that doesn't change the fact that Verhoeven completely dropped the ball on making a faithful adaptation.

I also think Anarchist's 4/10 rating is pretty fair.  I like the movie better than the book, but that's because I really don't like the book at all.  It really is an object lesson in showing versus telling.

The Doctor

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »

I saw the U.S. version, but I've read about the UK version. It sounds like a great ending!

Which one do you prefer?

I've only seen the UK version but know how the US one ended. I do like my downbeat endings, so... the UK one. Although this is an interesting article about the two endings.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/03/10/collins-crypt-on-the-two-endings-of-the-descent

PJ Post

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
I've watched Starship Troopers more times than I can remember, love it....I'd buy that for a dollar!

I liked RPO too, but not nearly as much as Starship Troopers. I thought the book was more expansive, and a lot darker. The movie looked pretty nifty, though, even if the writing was on the weak side.

I really like Jenny Nicholson's thoughtful analysis of movies.

Funny, insightful and just a little mean. I like it.  grint

Here's the cinemasins video she mentions:

The following users thanked this post: Tom Wood

Anarchist

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2018, 02:26:48 AM »
Recently watched this...

It's a solid thriller that moves at a quick clip.

guest120

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:44 AM »
Recently watched this...

Will have to check that one out.

Also should mention...at the risk of being assailed with pitchforks and torches...recently re-watched 'Superman: The Movie' starring Christopher Reeve - hadn't seen it in decades.

It was...not good. 4/10. *runs for underground bunker*

Anarchist

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2018, 04:38:41 AM »
Recently watched this...

The good news is, it's a Netflix Original. So there's no need to rush. It ain't going anywhere. :)

Jo

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2018, 04:57:02 AM »
Citizen X

Rating it 10 out of 10
Jo

guest14

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2018, 05:11:00 AM »

Also, I don't want to be the reason you don't watch 'Hold the Dark', because...well, you might like it...hard to say - tastes differ.

Well, that was an evening I will never get back.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2018, 06:00:09 AM »
Recently watched this...

Also should mention...at the risk of being assailed with pitchforks and torches...recently re-watched 'Superman: The Movie' starring Christopher Reeve - hadn't seen it in decades.

It was...not good. 4/10. *runs for underground bunker*

It was good at the time. Probably pretty dated as far as superhero movies go now.

fferyllt

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
A double-bill of The Lady in the Van, starring Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings, and The Limehouse Golem, starring Bill Nighy.

The former a semi-biographical account of writer Alan Bennett's encounters with a homeless woman over the decades.

Maggie Smith for the win! Anything she acts in, ever. :banana:

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

fferyllt

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »
Crazy Rich Asians! Total fun. Smart. Some excellent acting (Michelle Yeoh, Awkwafina). Just a perfect break from too much reality. Saw it twice.

Becca Mills

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
Crazy Rich Asians! Total fun. Smart. Some excellent acting (Michelle Yeoh, Awkwafina). Just a perfect break from too much reality. Saw it twice.

Totally enjoyed it. The widgets liked it too. :)
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2018, 11:47:40 PM »
Saw this recently (my third time)...

Disclaimer: I love everything Fincher does. Discount my rating accordingly.

The Game is currently on Netflix.

The Doctor

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »

I really like this movie. Thought it was quite clever when I watched it. Might rewatch this weekend.

Anarchist

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2018, 07:14:13 AM »

I really like this movie. Thought it was quite clever when I watched it. Might rewatch this weekend.

It ain't perfect. But it's a ton of fun. :)

On another note, I just watched The Cooler...

It has a fantastic cast. I've grown accustomed to thinking of Alec Baldwin in the context of 30 Rock (the man can definitely do comedy). I almost forgot how good he can be in feature films.

Here's the trailer...

The Cooler is currently on HBO.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2018, 12:26:09 AM »
My daughter celebrates Hallowe'en six months out of the year, so yesterday we watched haunted mansion to prepare our youngest for our upcoming trip to Disneyland.

Anarchist

« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »

I watched The Limehouse Golem yesterday.

Great storytelling. And Bill Nighy was awesome.

The Limehouse Golem is currently on Hulu.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

KevinH

« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »
I watched a Netflic Original movie: Hold the Dark.  I thought the trailer was interesting and the basic premise drew me in: Deep in the Alaskan wilderness, a woman whose son has been killed by wolves asks a wolf expert to hunt down the animal responsible.  The actual film, however, is rather obtuse and leaves a horde of unamswered questions.  (Basically, it's not really clear why a number of the characters act the way they do.) There's at least one angle, though, that I'm pretty sure I 've figured out - despite it never being explicited stated in the movie.

All in all, I thought the film could have done with a little more "tell" instead of "show."

FreshCzar

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2018, 03:46:24 AM »
Just watched Black Panther. Pretty good. I go through a movie every two days on my treadmill using my iPad Pro - thank the stars for Netflix and Amazon Prime!

PJ Post

« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2018, 03:48:57 AM »

A shallow-ish, yet engaging enough action thriller. Lots of pew pew and zoom zoom and boom boom. Strong gripping performances, although not as intense as the original.
:tup3b

Jesus! I have no idea how they even filmed some of these action sequences. One part John Wick, one part La Femme Nikita, and one part Kill Bill. Over the top amazing. It's a Korean film, so I'm sure some of the emotional depth is lost in translation (like Japanese horror), but it was still full up with story. For the anime style, super-action, how dark is dark? fan...

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

The Doctor

« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2018, 03:56:05 AM »

I watched The Limehouse Golem yesterday.

Great storytelling. And Bill Nighy was awesome.

The Limehouse Golem is currently on Hulu.

Fantastic!

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2018, 07:19:19 AM »
Been talking so much about Jack Black lately I pulled this one out of the DVD collection and ensconced myself in the bed covers.

Anarchist

« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2018, 11:53:12 AM »
Watched this last night...

Terrific direction with cinematography by the great Janusz Kamiński.

And that cast! I like Cruise, but Peter Stormare, Colin Farrell, Max von Sydow, and Samantha Morton?!

Yes, please, and thank you.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
Watched this last night...

Terrific direction with cinematography by the great Janusz Kamiński.

And that cast! I like Cruise, but Peter Stormare, Colin Farrell, Max von Sydow, and Samantha Morton?!

Yes, please, and thank you.

I tried watching that once, but Ijust couldn't get into it.  Maybe I'll have to try again some time.

Oh... And Peter Stormare?

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Anarchist

« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2018, 01:12:15 PM »
Oh... And Peter Stormare?

Haha I love Stormare. He may have been the best part of Armageddon.

Jo

« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2018, 07:30:14 PM »
This was on TV yesterday and I discovered I like the original better than the series.

Jo

Anarchist

« Reply #107 on: October 17, 2018, 12:31:08 AM »
I watched Disney's Tarzan yesterday.

A terrific story supported by brilliant animation.

Tarzan is currently on Netflix.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #108 on: October 17, 2018, 12:52:22 AM »
I watched Disney's Tarzan yesterday.

A terrific story supported by brilliant animation.

Tarzan is currently on Netflix.

Love that movie. Thanks. I'll be watching it tonight.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2018, 05:22:03 PM »
I watched a brief clip from a movie I haven't seen since I was a kid.  It includes a scene that scared my young self and lingered in my nightmares.  And it was a Disney movie!   :icon_eek:  I'm talking about when Maximilian the robot kills Durant in The Black Hole.

The idea of those spinning blades chopping me up was something I couldn't get out of my head.

Anarchist

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2018, 11:14:22 PM »
I watched this last night...

In some ways, it's better than its predecessor (28 Days Later).

28 Weeks Later is on Hulu through October 31st.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Rosie Scott

« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2018, 11:11:34 AM »

Jesus! I have no idea how they even filmed some of these action sequences. One part John Wick, one part La Femme Nikita, and one part Kill Bill. Over the top amazing. It's a Korean film, so I'm sure some of the emotional depth is lost in translation (like Japanese horror), but it was still full up with story. For the anime style, super-action, how dark is dark? fan...

Thank you so much for posting this. This movie looks amazing. One review on IMDB says it will appease fans of The Raid and The Raid 2. Have you seen those? The karambit fight and baseball bat assassin from The Raid 2 were just... *shivers* I've found myself gravitating toward foreign action films in recent years because the actions scenes tend to be bloodier, intense, and well-shot.

Speaking of The Raid and the always amazing Iko Uwais, I recently saw Man of Tai Chi on Netflix (Iko had a cameo) and loved it enough to buy it although I only own about a dozen movies. It's the directorial debut of Keanu Reeves. Lots of intense fighting scenes, surprisingly good music, and a glorious mix of fighting styles. I watched it again with my husband to introduce him to martial arts films one small step at a time; I'm trying to get him into them.  :icon_mrgreen:

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2018, 12:26:39 PM »
Actually, I am almost ashamed to admit that I watched, for the very first time last night, The Big Lebowski.

Becca Mills

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2018, 02:32:19 AM »
Actually, I am almost ashamed to admit that I watched, for the very first time last night, The Big Lebowski.

Over the next few months, you will come to realize that 2.7% modern life = references to that one film. That's just, like, my opinion man.  :icon_mrgreen:
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Anarchist

Tom Wood

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2018, 02:55:55 AM »
That's just, like, my opinion man.  :icon_mrgreen:

:roll:

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2018, 02:59:41 AM »
I wasn't feeling well Saturday, when my husband turned on So I Married an Axe Murderer.  We both have always loved the movie, and watch it every time it's on.  It still makes me laugh, and it did help me feel better.

8/10

One of these days, I'm going to watch The Big Lebowski.  One of these days...

Anarchist

« Reply #116 on: October 24, 2018, 03:38:59 AM »
I wasn't feeling well Saturday, when my husband turned on So I Married an Axe Murderer.  We both have always loved the movie, and watch it every time it's on.  It still makes me laugh, and it did help me feel better.

8/10

That movie's hilarious. An example for those who haven't seen it...

spin52

« Reply #117 on: October 24, 2018, 04:01:04 AM »
I just saw 'Ocean's Eight' because I'm a sucker for caper movies and I thought it would be fun to see an all-female version of the earlier films. Also because I was on a nine-hour flight, which is about the only time I can sit through an entire movie. And, I figured anything with Cate Blanchett couldn't be bad. So ... 7/10, I'd say. It wasn't as good as the Brad Pitt/George Clooney 'Ocean's Eleven', but better than the original Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin film, which I've never liked. Some genuinely funny moments and I loved the skateboarding pickpocket. Also very instructive if you plan on shoplifting from a high-rent store or conning your way into a free posh hotel room.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #118 on: October 24, 2018, 07:08:04 AM »

Over the next few months, you will come to realize that 2.7% modern life = references to that one film. That's just, like, my opinion man.  :icon_mrgreen:

:clap:

Anarchist

« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
I watched this a few days ago...

Great story and terrific effects. I was mesmerized. At 2 hours and 42 minutes, it flew by.

Rating: 9/10.

Avatar is on HBO through Oct. 31.

PJ Post

« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2018, 12:58:39 PM »
I watched this a few days ago...

Great story and terrific effects. I was mesmerized. At 2 hours and 42 minutes, it flew by.

Rating: 9/10.

Avatar is on HBO through Oct. 31.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #121 on: October 27, 2018, 02:04:53 AM »
Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. Since I seem to be on a Jane Austen kick, I think I'll try to find a good version of Emma next.

The following users thanked this post: Jo

Robin

« Reply #122 on: October 27, 2018, 03:25:14 AM »
I watched Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil on Netflix last night, it was really good. It might not look it, but its actually quite funny in a dark way. Nice ending and very nicely made.

PJ Post

« Reply #123 on: October 27, 2018, 03:33:39 AM »
Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson and Alan Rickman. Since I seem to be on a Jane Austen kick, I think I'll try to find a good version of Emma next.

Becca Mills

« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2018, 03:56:49 AM »

Seconding! A terrific adaptation. :)
Recently Read ...

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2018, 04:24:50 AM »
Watched this again last night. They just don't make great movies like this anymore.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2018, 05:25:44 AM »

Then there's Bride and Prejudice. Love Bollywood!

Anarchist

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2018, 05:32:52 AM »
I recently watched this film...

Great story. And it's nice to see Harrison Ford without the damn earring.

Side note: Lukas Haas really was a cute kid!

Witness is on Amazon Prime through Oct. 31.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
I recently watched this film...

Great story. And it's nice to see Harrison Ford without the damn earring.

Side note: Lukas Haas really was a cute kid!

Love that movie. I'll have to watch it tomorrow. Or maybe even tonight. HF is one of my favorite actors, ever since he wasn't a scruffy looking nerf-herder.

Anarchist

« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2018, 10:47:27 AM »

Love that movie. I'll have to watch it tomorrow. Or maybe even tonight. HF is one of my favorite actors, ever since he wasn't a scruffy looking nerf-herder.

See if you can spot an actor who became a A-lister years later. This person is essentially an extra in Witness.  Grin

Maggie Ann

« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2018, 11:29:41 AM »

See if you can spot an actor who became a A-lister years later. This person is essentially an extra in Witness.  Grin

Okay ... fun!

Anarchist

« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2018, 05:05:33 AM »
Saw this last night...

Great cast, terrific dialogue, and a surprising arc.

It's directed by Jason Reitman and written by Diablo Cody, a potent duo. And in my opinion, Charlize Theron proves (again) why she's one of the best actors on the map.

Young Adult is currently on Hulu.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #132 on: October 30, 2018, 01:18:50 AM »

I'm much better at identifying actors by their voices than by their faces. Faces can change especially when the face you're most familiar with is covered in 2-3 days of beard surrounded by scraggly hair.

First thought I recognized him at the barn raising sitting next to Alexander Goudonov. Didn't know who he was at that point but there was something about his expressions. Then at the ice cream incident, he was only on for a few seconds but sometimes a quick flash is better to prod memory. Aragorn!

Surprisingly, he was named in the credits.

I might never have known if you hadn't said something but then once someone seems familiar I have to track them down. I'm not always right but I have to try.

Anarchist

« Reply #133 on: October 30, 2018, 03:04:48 AM »

I'm much better at identifying actors by their voices than by their faces. Faces can change especially when the face you're most familiar with is covered in 2-3 days of beard surrounded by scraggly hair.

First thought I recognized him at the barn raising sitting next to Alexander Goudonov. Didn't know who he was at that point but there was something about his expressions. Then at the ice cream incident, he was only on for a few seconds but sometimes a quick flash is better to prod memory. Aragorn!

I might never have known if you hadn't said something but then once someone seems familiar I have to track them down. I'm not always right but I have to try.

You nailed it!

It's a little surreal, right? Kinda like watching Mystic Pizza ("Whoa! Is that Matt Damon?!")   Grin

The Doctor

« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2018, 03:27:08 AM »
Watched Drop Dead Fred on Netflix.

Ah, Rik Mayall...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2018, 04:44:38 AM »

You nailed it!

It's a little surreal, right? Kinda like watching Mystic Pizza ("Whoa! Is that Matt Damon?!")   Grin

Especially when they look so young.

I'll take your word for Matt Damon. No, not really. I'll at least go to the IMDB page and look at the photos.

I love this game.  :banana:

Matt Damon - Mystic Pizza

« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 04:57:19 AM by Maggie Ann »

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »

Gary Oldman is one of those, as Mary Steenburgen said. That man has had so many looks over the years it's hard to figure him out sometimes. He is one actor I can watch all the time. Of course, in some roles he plays the kind of guy you could hang out with and then the very next role he plays someone you don't even want to be on the same planet with.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2018, 12:14:18 PM »
You forgot the most important Gary Oldman role.

Anarchist

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2018, 12:15:39 PM »

And we shouldn't forget Elvis totin' a boom stick.

Becca Mills

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
Also not to be forgotten ...

Recently Read ...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2018, 01:22:52 PM »
In the spirit of Halloween...

Becca Mills

« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2018, 03:24:46 PM »
Hey, look what I found!

Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, Jo

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »

I had a list of about ten different photos of Gary lined up, but then thought Tim would ban me for life if I posted it.   grint

And, not to disagree with your assessment of Mr. Oldman's best role, but I do have to disagree.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2018, 09:33:58 PM »

I had a list of about ten different photos of Gary lined up, but then thought Tim would ban me for life if I posted it.   grint

And, not to disagree with your assessment of Mr. Oldman's best role, but I do have to disagree.

I didn't say best. I said most important. It was the third movie which Cuaron totally ruined. Oldman was one of the few (very few) saving graces of that movie.

Anarchist

« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2018, 11:19:19 PM »
It was a twofer yesterday. In the afternoon...

Movies from 60+ years ago feel different. The narrative structure is (usually) less complex, the acting is (usually) inferior to today's standards, and the camerawork is (usually) uninspiring.

That said, I really liked High Noon. It had great pacing and solid work by Gary Cooper.

In the evening...

Solid story, terrific cast, and eye-popping special effects. And great backstory on the aliens and engineers.

Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for the Alien movies. Discount my rating accordingly.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 11:33:56 PM by Anarchist »

YouMeWe

« Reply #145 on: November 02, 2018, 10:15:38 AM »
The Book of Eli.

The only movie I've ever watched twice. It's the twist, folks, the twist!
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

Anarchist

« Reply #146 on: November 02, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
The Book of Eli.

That movie has taken some flak. But I dug it.

It's post-apoc w/ Denzel. What's not to like?  Grin

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #147 on: November 02, 2018, 10:41:24 AM »
Latest movie I saw was Hδxan.  Very interesting.  Silly in places, but interesting from a historical perspective.

YouMeWe

« Reply #148 on: November 02, 2018, 10:46:10 PM »
The Book of Eli.

That movie has taken some flak. But I dug it.

It's post-apoc w/ Denzel. What's not to like?  Grin

I know, right?

I thought it was great, but the twist made it brilliant. Didn't see it coming. Sent me spinning right back to the start to watch it all over again with fresh eyes.
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

PJ Post

« Reply #149 on: November 03, 2018, 02:29:42 AM »

Disclaimer: I'm a sucker for the Alien movies. Discount my rating accordingly.

I still haven't forgiven the franchise for killing off Newt, Hicks and even Bishop. I get the reasoning for the future of the franchise, but it negates the whole ending of Aliens..and A3 wasn't worth the sacrifice. I think the reboot stuff is okay, some neat ideas but not enough to hang my hat on as it were. I like deep movies but these are working way too hard to be thinky. And Aliens is one of my all time favorite movies, so...heavy heart and all that. I liked the first AvP better.   grint

I've seen Book of Eli a few times...it's got Data in it. It reminds me of The Professional for some reason. Both are entertaining.

___

I watched this last night:

Great cast. Great concept, even if it felt somewhat borrowed from John Wick. But it threw too much into the soup in search of drama and never found a through-line for the story. It was fun-ish, but the missed opportunity was frustrating. I give it a 5. Watchable - but I'd wait for it to be free.

___

+1 for Witness and The Majestic.   :littleclap

Anarchist

« Reply #150 on: November 03, 2018, 03:02:17 AM »
Next up...

I laughed all the way through.

I feel odd recommending comedy because tastes vary. But if you enjoy vampires and your comedic preferences are slightly off-center, check this one out.

What We Do In The Shadows is currently on Amazon Prime.

Becca Mills

« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2018, 04:49:00 AM »
I didn't say best. I said most important. It was the third movie which Cuaron totally ruined. Oldman was one of the few (very few) saving graces of that movie.

Oh dear ... my absolute favorite of all the films ...  :icon_redface:
Recently Read ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #152 on: November 03, 2018, 11:14:31 PM »

It was my favorite of the books, probably because of Sirius.

I'm glad somebody liked the movie. Most of the Chamber of Secrets forum did not.

Becca Mills

« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »

It was my favorite of the books, probably because of Sirius.

I'm glad somebody liked the movie. Most of the Chamber of Secrets forum did not.

Yeah, it's my favorite of the books, too.

What's the main problem with the film, do you think?
Recently Read ...

Maggie Ann

« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
First, too artsy with all that clock symbolism. I'm not saying that they should go back to the simplicity of the first two movies. They were appropriate for those two books. By the third book, things had started to get darker. But Cuaron didn't make it darker. He made it dirtier.

Cuaron sprinkled Mexican symbols all over the place. It's England, not Mexico.

Most importantly, none of the actors were up to par and to me, that's down to the director. "He was their friend and he betrayed them." That's an example of what could have been a great scene and Dan Radcliffe was even then a good actor, but he didn't come off as being emotional. It was very superficial. Evan Alan Rickman, one of my very favorite actors, seemed like he was reading the script and not feeling it at all.

And don't get me started on the shrunken heads, what Padfoot and Moony looked liked in their animal state, and the Quidditch match.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2018, 03:07:55 AM »
I finished watching Taken starring Liam Neeson a few minutes ago. (It's on HBO.)

Rating: 6

I love this film.

And Taken 2

And Taken 3

Of course the first film was the best, but I like Liam Neeson enough to watch him doing the same thing over and over again in the same way that I enjoyed watching Bruce Willis in the Die Hards over and over again.

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

Kay Inglis

« Reply #156 on: November 09, 2018, 03:20:22 AM »
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

The first Jurassic Park film is in my top ten favourite films and I simply have to watch the sequels, although I know that they will never match the original one.

Fallen Kingdom starts out well, nicely set up, and I always enjoy seeing the "remains" of the last disaster park or island as a background.

But this film is just too much. Too much everything. Too much plot. Too much action. Even too much dinosaur.

There is the making of a great film in there, but it needed the plot to be tighter and the action more relevant to the plot.

I'm actually a big fan of the third film, which has a well constructed plot and, by not trying to be too clever, gets close to the perfect pace of the original.

But I would still watch a sixth film if it were to be made!

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

Becca Mills

« Reply #157 on: November 09, 2018, 03:41:22 AM »
First, too artsy with all that clock symbolism. I'm not saying that they should go back to the simplicity of the first two movies. They were appropriate for those two books. By the third book, things had started to get darker. But Cuaron didn't make it darker. He made it dirtier.

Cuaron sprinkled Mexican symbols all over the place. It's England, not Mexico.

Most importantly, none of the actors were up to par and to me, that's down to the director. "He was their friend and he betrayed them." That's an example of what could have been a great scene and Dan Radcliffe was even then a good actor, but he didn't come off as being emotional. It was very superficial. Evan Alan Rickman, one of my very favorite actors, seemed like he was reading the script and not feeling it at all.

And don't get me started on the shrunken heads, what Padfoot and Moony looked liked in their animal state, and the Quidditch match.

Huh, interesting. I'm embarrassed to say the Mexican symbolism went 100% over my head -- I didn't get any of it. I will have to rewatch the movie and see if I catch anything, but it could be that I'm just too unfamiliar with Mexican culture to see it.  :icon_redface:

I agree that very emotional scene of Harry's was bad. The last time we watched it (with our kids), my husband glanced at me and said, "Ouch." The rest didn't strike me, though, so I guess I just chalked it up to Radcliffe's acting limitations at that age.

I think what I liked about it was that it felt like a coherent work of art in its own right, rather than an attempt to squeeze a maximum number of elements of the book into a movie-shaped box as faithfully as possible. I find I almost always prefer film adaptations that aren't too tightly constrained by their source material. It's also my favorite of the books, so I just love love love the story.  :heart:
Recently Read ...

Becca Mills

« Reply #158 on: November 09, 2018, 03:46:29 AM »
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #159 on: November 09, 2018, 06:50:23 AM »
Here are the films I've watched over the past week...

Megamind

Terrific. Lots of laughs, great voice performances, and sympathetic characters.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Good cast, but terrible writing. Shane Black, the screenwriter and director, has done good stuff in the past. But he was trying too hard to be clever.

Rating: 5/10

Cold In July

Solid story and good performances marred by a few quirky twists.

Rating: 7/10

Columbus

This one has a 97% on RT and 89 on Metacritic. I thought it was slow and boring. That said, Haley Lu Richardson was fantastic.

Rating: 6/10

State of Play

Clever plot driven by a great cast.

The biggest challenge in watching this film is getting past Russell Crowe's hair...

The Ritual

Really creepy. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

The Verdict

Awesome film. Written by Mamet, directed by Lumet, and starring Ol' Blue Eyes... what more can I ask for?

* Sorry for the film dump. I've been lackadaisical about updating this thread because I wasn't sure anyone cared.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #160 on: November 09, 2018, 11:08:59 AM »
Saw The Verdict years ago. Wonderful film. I've watched Megamind with the grandkids a few times. So much fun.

PJ Post

« Reply #161 on: November 10, 2018, 11:40:07 AM »

It had a bit of a made for TV vibe and played mostly in the shallow end of the pool. More of the same YA goes mutant, but doesn't do enough with it, a lot like The 5th Wave. 5/10.

Not nearly as good as the original, but then the first one was just about as perfect as a film can get. Still, II was really really fun.

eta:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom...too much dinosaur.

You know when your dino movie has too much dino, you've screwed up - rather egregiously. I totally agree. This new reboot looks great, but like TLJ, everything looks good anymore. Sadly, the rest of the team is having a tough time getting it together. Jesus, how do you f*ck up a Jurassic Park movie...twice?!

Trick question...we all know it's the writing.  :angel:

@Anarchist: I agree with your general assessment of those films, except Columbus and Ritual, haven't see them yet. For some reason, that list reminded me of Goodfellas, which I'm overdue watching again.

I find I almost always prefer film adaptations that aren't too tightly constrained by their source material.

I think I get where you're coming from, but unfortunately, this is how we got the train wreck known as John Carter. Genre defining content and story, one of the single greatest influences on twentieth century fiction, and yet Stanton thought he could be it better, update it for a modern audience.  :HB
What an asshat. Always trust the source material - or do a different movie. This goes double for anime - and why live-action remakes should steer clear of Akira.

I'm crossing my fingers for Alita.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 12:21:33 PM by PJ Post »

The following users thanked this post: Kay Inglis

Anarchist

« Reply #162 on: November 10, 2018, 12:27:02 PM »
@Anarchist: I agree with your general assessment of those films, except Columbus and Ritual, haven't see them yet. For some reason, that list reminded me of Goodfellas, which I'm overdue watching again.

Goodfellas is one of the handful of movies I've given a 10/10. What a terrific film!

I'm crossing my fingers for Alita.

Directed by Robert Rodriguez and produced by Cameron with a $150 billion budget... I'm optimistic!

notthatamanda

« Reply #163 on: November 11, 2018, 01:50:30 AM »
We watched Trumbo last night.  It was really well done and really interesting.  And funny (dark humor mostly).  Cranston was the dad in Malcolm in the Middle (TV Show) but it took a while for me to figure that out, he really transformed himself.   I knew about the black listing in Hollywood, but I didn't know about Kirk Douglas or John Wayne's involvement.

My husband stayed awake for the whole thing so it gets a "Two eyes open" rating, which is the highest we give.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »

We watched "Midnight Special" last night. It's an amazing movie. The story telling is fantastic.

Angela Haddon

« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »
The last film I saw was Jurassic Park: Fallen Kingdom. It was so terrible, I've been too afraid to watch another new movie. How could they mess up dinosaurs?  :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2018, 04:19:00 PM »
Just a good, family movie.

Becca Mills

« Reply #167 on: November 19, 2018, 04:42:32 PM »
Has anyone seen the new Fantastic Beasts? If so, what'd you think?
Recently Read ...

Michelle Louring

• Novella unlocked
  • The owl is pure evil. Don't let him fool you.
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2018, 09:04:12 PM »

Lots of conflicting feelings. Visually, it was great, but I found the character development incredibly weak (sort of feels like they tried to cram too much into one movie) and I miss the charm and humor from the first movie. I don't mind sequels being darker, just not this much darker this soon.

...But the Zouwu was goddamn adorable!

Crazy owl lady. I also occasionally write Fantasy books, but the owl is really all anyone cares about.

https://michellelouring.com/

Maggie Ann

« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2018, 10:43:37 PM »

Lots of conflicting feelings. Visually, it was great, but I found the character development incredibly weak (sort of feels like they tried to cram too much into one movie) and I miss the charm and humor from the first movie. I don't mind sequels being darker, just not this much darker this soon.

...But the Zouwu was goddamn adorable!

The characters were what I liked about the first movie. I'll go see this one anyway, but I'm afraid the HP movies are turning into Star Wars. You go to see it because it's HP, not because it's a good movie.

notthatamanda

« Reply #170 on: November 20, 2018, 08:45:14 AM »

Just saw it today.  Mixed feelings about it, it was very dark, but there were some laughs.   I don't think I'm spoiling anything to say it was a lead in for the next movie, and this one left me with less of a sense of completion than the first Fantastic Beasts.  At the end I'm watching, thinking "Oh, the story's not even close to over, but it's over for today."  It was annoying.  It's a different experience than watching the HP movies, when I just wanted to see the interpretation, but I already knew the story.  My thirteen year old claimed she liked it, but I had to explain a lot afterwards.  The nine year old said "That made no sense at all."

Becca Mills

« Reply #171 on: November 20, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
Thanks for the feedback on Fantastic Beasts, everyone. Sounds like I won't be taking the one widget who was interested in seeing it -- the first one was at the darkness limit for them.

We all saw The Nutcracker and the Four Realms today. It was a movie. 6/10.  :shrug
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #172 on: November 21, 2018, 12:50:58 AM »
Recently saw this (my 3rd time)...

Brilliant.

Rating: 10/10

guest957

« Reply #173 on: November 21, 2018, 05:55:36 AM »
The Secret Life of Pets: 4/10

Annihilation: 4/10

PJ Post

« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2018, 09:25:50 AM »
I thought Adaptation was super self-indulgent, and couldn't get into the story at all.

Although Annihilation suffered from more of the same, it was out-there SF enough for me to like it. These movies always suffer from a lack of characterization, or from single-event-defining characterization. I like well-rounded real people, even though that doesn't always work for the Indie writer/director's angst.

+1 on the Fantastic Beasts feedback. I liked the first one, and like most, I'll see this next one because it's HP.

*crossing my fingers they don't ruin this one too*

+1 on Midnight Special - it managed to get past its Indie roots and do something really cool.

I like Deadpool's joke about Taken: at some point you have to wonder if he's just a bad parent.

___

Low-impact aerobics, but a nice super-hero break after Infinity War - I need to recharge for part 2.

Not as intense as it tried to be, Walberg's character seemed oddly written, and they didn't get the unhinged they were going for. Lots of cool action, but no substance, so not quite a thumbs up. We don't know the characters enough to care if they make it or not. Otoh, if you liked Patriot's Day and Deepwater Horizon you'll probably like this one too. It was really close to almost good.

This one was beyond stupid, beyond goofy, beyond lacking substance; it was ridiculously written - and yet...they had me at Jurassic-shark. Catch it for free, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but...

And if you liked The Meg, I highly recommend this one:

Yes, it's over the top cliche. Yes, everyone in it is too stupid to live. And your point is?

And as long as I'm on shark movies...

:tup3b :tup3b

Anarchist

« Reply #175 on: November 21, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »
I like Deadpool's joke about Taken: at some point you have to wonder if he's just a bad parent.

Haha. I forgot about that joke. I laughed then. I laughed now. :)

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #176 on: November 21, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »
This one was beyond stupid, beyond goofy, beyond lacking substance; it was ridiculously written - and yet...they had me at Jurassic-shark. Catch it for free, and I'm ashamed to admit it, but...

It's always nice to see someone admit to having guilty pleasures.   :icon_mrgreen:

One of my own guilty pleasures is Death Race, the remake starring Jason Statham.  I know it's not a cinematic masterpiece.  And I don't even like Statham as an actor.  But it's like distilled adrenaline on celluloid, and I think I can actually feel my testosterone level spike when I watch it.   :icon_rofl:

***Warning: language and violence***   :cool:

Becca Mills

« Reply #177 on: November 21, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
What's a film you think is terrific (not just a guilty pleasure, but really high quality) that everyone else you know thinks is mediocre at best?

My biggie is Shyamalan's Unbreakable.
Recently Read ...

guest957

« Reply #178 on: November 21, 2018, 02:55:11 PM »
What's a film you think is terrific (not just a guilty pleasure, but really high quality) that everyone else you know thinks is mediocre at best?

Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2

Becca Mills

« Reply #179 on: November 22, 2018, 04:00:07 AM »

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't seen either of the Guardians movies ...
Recently Read ...

guest957

« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2018, 06:59:17 AM »

I'm embarrassed to say I haven't seen either of the Guardians movies ...

Oh, I think they're both terrific. They're among my favorite movies of the past decade. Really fun.

To me, they're also a throwback to the 70s/80s when Hollywood creatives seemed less averse to telling fantastical stories imbued with emotion in an earnest way, without fear of being made fun of by the cool kids. Yes, both movies feature a lot of "cool" humor, but they also have a lot of heart. They embrace the cheese, and that's a welcome change in today's cynical, post-post, deconstructionist everything. They're definitely my favorite of all the Marvel films, and are more along the lines of what I'd wished Disney had done with the new Star Wars movies.

Of course, ymmv.  :icon_cool:

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Anarchist

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #181 on: November 22, 2018, 08:40:26 AM »
To me, they're also a throwback to the 70s/80s when Hollywood creatives seemed less averse to telling fantastical stories imbued with emotion in an earnest way, without fear of being made fun of by the cool kids. Yes, both movies feature a lot of "cool" humor, but they also have a lot of heart. They embrace the cheese, and that's a welcome change in today's cynical, post-post, deconstructionist everything. They're definitely my favorite of all the Marvel films, and are more along the lines of what I'd wished Disney had done with the new Star Wars movies.

Of course, ymmv.  :icon_cool:

I hadn't thought about it this way before, but now that you mention it, I completely agree.  I've only seen the first movie, but I enjoyed it, and I think a big part of that is because of the more positive mood.   :cheers

PJ Post

« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2018, 04:27:39 AM »

I really like the Guardians movies too, but then, so do most people - even the critics. RT has the movies rated at 91/92% and 83/88% respectively. So I'm not sure that qualifies for Becca's challenge - a movie everyone else thinks is mediocre at best.

Here are a few of mine (RT score: critics/audience):

57/70

They had me at: "Will it hurt?"

23/47

This movie is widely misunderstood, which doesn't mean you'll like it if you get it, just that there's a lot going on here (literary stuff).

59/77

This movie follows in the best traditions of SF horror, exceptionally well done.

34/67

What's not to like about zombie Dobermans and a sociopathic AI?

And of course...

Am I the only one who likes political intrigue in galaxies far, far away?

___

The critics hated these movies, but fans are s'okay to meh on them. Me...

Anarchist

« Reply #183 on: November 23, 2018, 05:50:34 AM »
Saw this recently...

Written and directed by Paul Greengrass, a talented storyteller (Bourne Supremacy, United 93, Bloody Sunday, etc.). It's a dramatization of the 2011 Norway attacks and the events that followed them.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #184 on: November 23, 2018, 05:54:28 AM »
I don't think Episodes I-III were as bad as the critics and most fans made out. I won't say I'll watch them again, but I might watch Ep I again. The problem with II and III for me was the absolutely horrible acting. HC, especially, but even NP. To me, that's down to the director.  (Yes, Becca, just like HP-3)

guest957

« Reply #185 on: November 23, 2018, 09:58:44 AM »

I really like the Guardians movies too, but then, so do most people - even the critics. RT has the movies rated at 91/92% and 83/88% respectively. So I'm not sure that qualifies for Becca's challenge - a movie everyone else thinks is mediocre at best.

Becca's question pertained to "everyone else you know". I don't know any of them thar fancy critics. But, of the people I know, i.e. my friends and family, most of whom held unfavorable opinions of Guardians, Vol. 2. I've tried to convince them it's a great movie, but to no avail.

Tom Wood

« Reply #186 on: November 23, 2018, 10:18:40 AM »

59/77

This movie follows in the best traditions of SF horror, exceptionally well done.

34/67

What's not to like about zombie Dobermans and a sociopathic AI?

Pitch Black is a wonderful movie! There are so many layers to the narrative, in addition to all the weird horror and sci-fi elements.

"Not for me! Not for me!"

Wow.

The breakout role for Vin Diesel.

Resident Evil - Just yeah, zombie Dobermans. The click click click of their nails on the floor from around the corner. Brilliant film-making!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #187 on: November 23, 2018, 02:01:37 PM »
I watched The Wizard of Oz tonight while winding down after the family Thanksgiving.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2018, 11:22:23 PM »
The Christmas Chronicles on Netflix. Two kids have to save Christmas. A cut above the usual, especially the jail scene which had me practically rolling on the floor. Nice surprise at the very end.

I'll be spending most of the next month watching Christmas movies because I'm sappy that way.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #189 on: November 24, 2018, 12:24:10 AM »
Saw this recently...

Written and directed by Paul Greengrass, a talented storyteller (Bourne Supremacy, United 93, Bloody Sunday, etc.). It's a dramatization of the 2011 Norway attacks and the events that followed them.

I heard an interview with Paul Greengrass about this film. It sounds very interesting, if also quite frightening.

WordWrassler

• Blurb unlocked
  • Embracing the grind
« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2018, 03:35:39 AM »
Recently watched Den of Thieves. Thought it was a great crime thriller that played homage to Heat, though with more guns and testosterone. The cast was really good and, after all the explosive action, the ending was clever.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2018, 03:20:17 PM »

Watched "Sleepless in Seattle" last night. I loved it when it first came out - I was in my early 20s.  I remember being particularly swept up by the whole "will they meet" thing at the end. This time round, while I enjoyed the movie, I didn't particularly care about the relationship / love angle at all. I found myself sympathising most with Meg Ryan's dumped boyfriend! Poor guy. She treated him pretty shabbily.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2018, 07:30:22 PM »
I just watched The Ballad of Buster Scruggs the other night and loved it. Bit sad in a few places, but I'm a Tom Waits fan and he was just fantastic.  :heart:

I agree that Pitch Black is an excellent movie, I periodically go back and watch  it  Grin
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Maggie Ann

« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2018, 11:55:26 PM »

Watched "Sleepless in Seattle" last night. I loved it when it first came out - I was in my early 20s.  I remember being particularly swept up by the whole "will they meet" thing at the end. This time round, while I enjoyed the movie, I didn't particularly care about the relationship / love angle at all. I found myself sympathising most with Meg Ryan's dumped boyfriend! Poor guy. She treated him pretty shabbily.

Tastes change. Not to mention Tom Hanks haircut.

Anarchist

« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2018, 12:57:23 AM »
Saw this a couple days ago (on Netflix)...

It's the fifth Dirty Harry movie. A guilty pleasure for me. And it includes a bit part for a future A-Lister...

Jim Carrey

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2018, 05:20:47 AM »
Just saw Nightcrawler. What a movie. I found it fascinating and disturbing. Don't watch if you are feeling vulnerable. And of course, it's the actor who played Donnie Darko. He is basically the devil, but everything he says is corporate-motivational-speak. Calm, reasonable, and completely insane.

Anarchist

« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2018, 06:12:07 AM »
Just saw Nightcrawler. What a movie. I found it fascinating and disturbing. Don't watch if you are feeling vulnerable. And of course, it's the actor who played Donnie Darko. He is basically the devil, but everything he says is corporate-motivational-speak. Calm, reasonable, and completely insane.

I loved Nightcrawler. Great flick.

Becca Mills

« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2018, 06:39:53 AM »
I don't think Episodes I-III were as bad as the critics and most fans made out. I won't say I'll watch them again, but I might watch Ep I again. The problem with II and III for me was the absolutely horrible acting. HC, especially, but even NP. To me, that's down to the director.  (Yes, Becca, just like HP-3)

I'm with you on that one, Maggie Ann. Ep. 2 was just ... I would rather clean all my baseboards with Q-Tips than endure those love story elements again. I know NP is a great actor, so I'm gonna blame it on the direction.  :shocked:

Joining the love for Pitch Black! Great film. Triumph of the KISS principle.

I think I'm going to make watching all the Marvel movies in order with the kids a summer project. I missed most of them, I think. Looking forward to the Guardians films most of all.
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2018, 02:50:46 AM »
Saw this last night...

Mesmerizing. An epic tale with a wonderful soundtrack.

Currently streaming on Hulu.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2018, 04:40:12 AM »
Watched this last night. It never gets old.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Maggie Ann

« Reply #200 on: November 26, 2018, 10:32:34 AM »
Just got back from Fantastic Beasts 2. Much better than the first movie. GD and I both liked it, but now I have questions. Off to youtube to see what's being said over there.

Anarchist

« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »
Just watched this one...

Disclaimer: I love Tony Scott films, even the unintelligible stuff like Domino. So discount my rating accordingly.

Currently streaming on HBO.

PJ Post

« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
Just watched this one...

Stylish, dark and moody. Part of the filmography that made Denzel Denzel.

___

And at the risk of being repetitive...I watched both of these for the umpteenth time this weekend...

:tup3b  :tup3b  :tup3b

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2018, 05:41:32 PM »

And at the risk of being repetitive...I watched both of these for the umpteenth time this weekend...

:tup3b  :tup3b  :tup3b

Nothing wrong with either one of those. Always worth a repeat viewing.

Honey Bunny and I just finished this one.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2018, 03:10:33 AM »
I was so reluctant to watch Jumanji. After all, what or who could beat the original. GD talked me into it and I was so glad she did. They didn't try to duplicate the original at all and I could enjoy the movie on it's own merits.

Still watching Christmas movies. Home for the Holidays last night. It was different and I really enjoyed it.

There were a couple I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes. They were worse than the ugliest Christmas sweaters.

I tried watching a second movie last night but I fell asleep so I'll rewatch it tonight.

Anarchist

« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2018, 04:04:57 AM »

Not much happens, but it's a mesmerizing film nonetheless. That's probably due largely to Michelle Williams. She's terrific (as usual).

Currently streaming on Hulu.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2018, 12:20:30 AM »
Just watched The Man Who Invented Christmas. It's the story of how Charles Dickens came to write A Christmas Carol.

Definitely a fun movie, but more so from the writer's perspective. I had to laugh at his struggles to overcome blockage and I certainly understood when he said he couldn't get his characters to do what he wanted.

A lot of it was true to his life but it was the writing parts that I had to identify with. We all go through the same struggles but only a blessed few go on to be a Charles Dickens.

Christopher Plummer as Scrooge, Ian McNeice (Bert Large on Doc Martin) as one of his publishers, and Professor Sprout as Mrs. Fisk, the housekeeper.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2018, 12:52:36 AM »
Next up...

I laughed all the way through.

I feel odd recommending comedy because tastes vary. But if you enjoy vampires and your comedic preferences are slightly off-center, check this one out.

What We Do In The Shadows is currently on Amazon Prime.

I agree! This is a very funny movie. I particularly loved Peter in the basement!

Becca Mills

« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2018, 04:21:49 AM »
Saw a Jim Jarmusch movie called Paterson last night, based on or in dialogue with William Carlos Williams's epic poem of the same title. Really good, though off-beat, as Jarmusch's films tend to be. Very little plot arc, light magic-realist touches. Came out in 2016. My fave of his films so far. Recommend! 9/10

Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2018, 06:29:30 AM »
Saw a Jim Jarmusch movie called Paterson last night, based on or in dialogue with William Carlos Williams's epic poem of the same title. Really good, though off-beat, as Jarmusch's films tend to be. Very little plot arc, light magic-realist touches. Came out in 2016. My fave of his films so far. Recommend! 9/10

I was going to watch Paterson a few months ago, but my wife said she didn't like. So I passed on it.

But now that I'm thinking about it, she fell asleep while watching Aliens.

Paterson is back on the list! :)

Becca Mills

« Reply #210 on: November 30, 2018, 06:48:53 AM »

I was going to watch Paterson a few months ago, but my wife said she didn't like. So I passed on it.

But now that I'm thinking about it, she fell asleep while watching Aliens.

Paterson is back on the list! :)

Let us know what you think! It's definitely a "quiet" film. A meditation on creativity, place, relationships. I have a feeling there's a lot of intertextuality with the Williams poem, which I've never read. That might account for many of the symbolic elements.
Recently Read ...

guest957

« Reply #211 on: November 30, 2018, 07:21:42 AM »
she fell asleep while watching Aliens.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #212 on: November 30, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
she fell asleep while watching Aliens.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #213 on: November 30, 2018, 12:58:29 PM »
My Christmas movie for tonight was The Christmas Eve Miracle.

JRTomlin

« Reply #214 on: December 01, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »
I watched Outlaw King (starring Chris Pine). I am incredibly picky about historical movies, but I gave this one a big:  :tup3b
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:50:39 AM by JRTomlin »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #215 on: December 01, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »
I watched Outlaw King (starring Chris Pine). I am incredibly picky about historical movies, but I have this one a big:  :tup3b

I'll have to squeeze this one into my busy smarmy Christmas movie schedule.  :tup3b

Anarchist

« Reply #216 on: December 01, 2018, 09:24:59 AM »
I watched Outlaw King (starring Chris Pine). I am incredibly picky about historical movies, but I have this one a big:  :tup3b

I was wondering about that one. It's now on my list!

JRTomlin

« Reply #217 on: December 01, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
It has a few 'Hollywood moments' that got a few complaints, but relatively few of them. It stuck pretty close to at least the gist of what happened. The scenery is breathtaking and I thought Chris Pine did a fine job, even managing a respectable Scottish accent. The battle tactics, armor, and weapons were amazingly accurate which is just about a first that I have seen in a medieval movie.

It was particularly impressive to see them showing battle tactics that really were used.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 11:59:44 AM by JRTomlin »

guest957

« Reply #218 on: December 01, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »

Watched this last night based on your positive review/description, and I loved it. Thanks!  :icon_cool:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #219 on: December 01, 2018, 11:47:39 PM »
Last night's Christmas movie was A Christmas Calendar. It was a bit different from the usual fare. No one had to save Christmas or Santa Clause and no one had to wake up to an alternative life.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #220 on: December 21, 2018, 03:12:36 PM »
I haven't seen any new movies in a while.  But in recent weeks, I've re-watched The Martian, The Matrix, and Ben-Hur.

That last one was my nephew's idea.  I had previously shown him a couple of scenes on YouTube because he's a twelve-year-old boy and I thought he'd get a kick out of the chariot race and the "ramming speed" of the galley slaves.  I didn't think he'd like the whole movie simply because it's so long and modern attention spans are what they are.  I put it on for him since he asked, but I expected him to get bored.  To my surprise, he enjoyed it.

There's a moral there, I guess.  Don't underestimate the kids.  Don't assume they can't sit still for a 3.5-hour epic.  They might surprise you.  ;)

(You might have to explain some things, though.  My nephew didn't know the first thing about leprosy.)

I still need to make time for Die Hard.  It's not Christmas until Hans fall off Nakatomi Plaza.  I need to watch Trading Places, too, another great Christmas tradition.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #221 on: December 22, 2018, 06:03:31 AM »
Last night watched The Santa Clause and the night before rewatched last year's Dr. Who Christmas special. Tonight I think I'll watch The Ghost of Christmas Eve with the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com |