Author Topic: Which business card do you like better?  (Read 3052 times)

Mark Gardner

Which business card do you like better?
« on: October 07, 2018, 05:04:33 AM »
Which business card do you like better?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:40:17 AM by Article94 »

Simon Haynes

Re: Which business card do you like better?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 05:08:24 AM »
The QR codes in the lower one are unobtrusive (comparatively speaking.)  I'd go with those if you can. Easier to read the webpage etc.

Didn't notice the writing across the top on the first one, but someone holding a physical card wouldn't miss it. (It was just hard to see because it's on a webpage with more text above.)

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 05:09:18 AM »
Just to add: maybe think about one QR code to get some space back? I assume the landing page has links to all three books anyway.

Okay, just tried one with my phone and it's an amazon page. (Although it's not coming up.)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 05:15:36 AM »
The top one though technically you should have more white space above the QR codes.  But the contact details on the bottom one are better due to the larger type.

But you do need a way to clarify that each code belongs to the book title indicated above it.  The bottom one kind of does that but the type is too small.

Have you considered doing three cards and bleeding the image off the edges so when you line up the three cards you get the panoramic image?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

RappaDizzy

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 05:39:50 AM »
I like the bottom better - the QR code is easier on my eyes and the image stands out better. But I like the title across the top - easier to read. IMHO combine the two.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 05:42:08 AM »
I prefer the second one.  Although I like the titles at the top of the first, the second card is clearer.

Ace Fletcher

• Fig Leaf in place
  • Flash Fiction unlocked
  • I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 06:14:20 AM »
I also prefer the second card. I'm assuming that IRL the word 'blank' in the center of Alyssa's QR code will stand out against the white background a little more. (I'm viewing it on my phone, so perhaps that's why it appears to blend in.)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 06:21:11 AM by Ace Fletcher »
I changed my password to 'incorrect'. That way when I forget, it always reminds me, "your password is incorrect".

Maggie Ann

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 06:19:37 AM »
I like the bottom better - the QR code is easier on my eyes and the image stands out better. But I like the title across the top - easier to read. IMHO combine the two.

+1

Mark Gardner

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 07:40:47 AM »
Okay, made a third version incorporating everyone's advice. Only the URL for the first book is active. the URLs for the others will be live as they books publish. I've printed these on my laser printer, and the QR codes scan correctly.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 07:43:17 AM by Article94 »

Maggie Ann

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 07:48:44 AM »
Okay, made a third version incorporating everyone's advice. Only the URL for the first book is active. the URLs for the others will be live as they books publish. I've printed these on my laser printer, and the QR codes scan correctly.

:clap:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 08:08:44 AM »
Should there be a call to action in the QR codes, such as "Buy Aubrey's Beautiful Crown" or "Download Aubrey's Beautiful Crown"?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Mark Gardner

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 09:16:14 AM »
Should there be a call to action in the QR codes, such as "Buy Aubrey's Beautiful Crown" or "Download Aubrey's Beautiful Crown"?
i’d like to, but I’m just out of space.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 09:46:21 AM »

I know everyone likes the second QR codes better, but an advantage of the first is that they can be made smaller and still be readable.  You could experiment to see if you can get enough space to fit a call to action.

idontknowyet

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 02:11:22 AM »
Couldn't you put the codes on the back of the card. The image looks much nicer without the code on it. Maybe add the website or all three connected covers on the front.

Vijaya

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 05:05:30 AM »
Couldn't you put the codes on the back of the card. The image looks much nicer without the code on it. Maybe add the website or all three connected covers on the front.

Yes, for a business card, it'd be nicer not to have the barcode at all. But if you have to have it, the last one--but on the other side.

I am not sure you need to add Buy this or that. It's obvious.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books