Author Topic: help with youtube problem  (Read 1376 times)

Marti Talbott

help with youtube problem
« on: January 30, 2022, 07:00:17 AM »
When I try to watch a video on YouTube, all I get is a black screen. I've cleared my history, signed out, and still get blacked out. Anybody know what else I can try?
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

Jeff Tanyard

Re: help with youtube problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 07:41:16 AM »
Are you on YouTube's site, or are you trying to watch a YouTube video that's embedded elsewhere?
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Marti Talbott

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 08:01:31 AM »
Are you on YouTube's site, or are you trying to watch a YouTube video that's embedded elsewhere?

I've tried on both their site and the videos people share on Facebook. I can see the tools on the bottom of the screen and the little picture when I put my curser on the red movement bar, but the big screen is blacked out. I can even see the "end ad" button and can click it.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 08:16:25 AM »
Sounds like the ads might be hanging you up.  You can test this by installing some ad blockers.  Try adding Adblock Plus and Ublock Origin to your browser, and then reload a YouTube page and see if it works.

Just out of curiosity, what browser do you use?

Marti Talbott

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 08:20:22 AM »
Sounds like the ads might be hanging you up.  You can test this by installing some ad blockers.  Try adding Adblock Plus and Ublock Origin to your browser, and then reload a YouTube page and see if it works.

Just out of curiosity, what browser do you use?

Thanks for the help. I'll try that. I'm using Chrome.

R H Auslander

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 07:05:51 PM »
I use a proxie server although I generally list Russia as location. I'm blocked all the time by youtube and others because of location. My first thought is 'good, you can't come here anyhow and there is no pity in that fact' and if I'm really interested in the vid I just change locations, wait a few minutes and voila, it shows. Sad truth is it generally turns out to be not worth the trouble.

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 11:13:20 PM »
I use a proxie server although I generally list Russia as location. I'm blocked all the time by youtube and others because of location. My first thought is 'good, you can't come here anyhow and there is no pity in that fact' and if I'm really interested in the vid I just change locations, wait a few minutes and voila, it shows. Sad truth is it generally turns out to be not worth the trouble.

Location does make a difference. I keep thinking I should get a proxy server with a Paris location because there's a lot of opera and other music available in western Europe that is blocked from the U.S., presumably due to rights issues.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 03:48:21 AM »

Microsoft is always uploading something to my computer in the middle of the night. I did everything I could think of to solve my video problem, then one morning I got a "restart computer" notice. After I did, the videos worked, so it was something they did and not me. Problem solved.

R H Auslander

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 05:10:25 AM »
My friend, you don't understand. My HOR is Sevastopol, Russia...the real Sevastopol. Talk about waving a red flag in front of a bull.....and I make sure the location is generally this village just to annoy the unwashed masses in Foggy Bottom et al. Gives 'em heart burn.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 05:17:26 AM »
My friend, you don't understand. My HOR is Sevastopol, Russia...the real Sevastopol. Talk about waving a red flag in front of a bull.....and I make sure the location is generally this village just to annoy the unwashed masses in Foggy Bottom et al. Gives 'em heart burn.

:clap:

The following users thanked this post: R H Auslander

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 07:15:13 AM »
Microsoft is always uploading something to my computer in the middle of the night. I did everything I could think of to solve my video problem, then one morning I got a "restart computer" notice. After I did, the videos worked, so it was something they did and not me. Problem solved.

Lol... doesn't surprise me at all.  You can always count on Microsoft to throw a monkey in the wrench.