Author Topic: Something I posted...  (Read 907 times)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Something I posted...
« on: February 09, 2020, 01:27:57 AM »
Sharing something I posted to social media a couple of weeks ago. I expected to get flamed but, wow, it seemed to resonate with people.

Friends,

A realization made me sad.

My social media feeds have dwindled to a trickle. It required reflection but the reason for the change became clear.

I have blocked many virtual friends.

The reasons for the blocks are numerous and varied but the explanation revolves around a central theme: Politics.

I am not, and never have professed to be a left-leaning liberal or a rightwing conservative. The First Amendment is immutable. As a card-carrying member of the Second Amendment support group, I support protecting the environment, women's rights to self-determination, smaller government, fiscal rigor, and prudent immigration laws.

None of these topics are mutually exclusive.

The binary nature of today's political landscape thwarts active and meaningful conversation. Consequently, I have not responded to postings that perpetuate a false narrative. To prevent flaming arguments, when a virtual friend repeatedly posted false narratives, they received a block.

I miss the ability to converse about many sides of a topic. I miss the concept of healthy debate. “Congress shall make no law … abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press …”

To summarize why my social media feeds have dwindled to a trickle, I wrote this:

Entitlement: 2020

You are entitled to your faith: May it make you joyous.
You are not permitted to tell me my faith is mistaken.

You are entitled to your privacy: Revel in the serenity.
You are not permitted to invade my privacy.

You are entitled to form opinions: Think deeply and be well reasoned.
You are not permitted to manufacture facts of convenience.

You are entitled to ignore facts: There is no requirement to accept reality.
You are not permitted to change facts to fit your opinions.

You are entitled to willful ignorance.
I am entitled to turn away from you with a sadness.

Rauirí

Anarchist

Re: Something I posted...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 02:34:55 AM »
I follow a simpler formula.

You have the right to think, say, feel, or do whatever you like...

... as long as you don't aggress against my property (or hire agents to do it for you).
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: R. C.