Author Topic: Is this a rare Triple Negative?  (Read 3056 times)

Sailor Stone

Is this a rare Triple Negative?
« on: January 07, 2020, 11:34:09 PM »
I was just on a tech forum and came across this beauty of a sentence in one of the subject threads:
"Ain't nobody got no time for that."
Is this a legitimate triple negative? I will try to break it down:
Aint' (negative number one which signals the sentence to be a negative) nobody (negative number two which, like in mathematics where two negatives make a positive, now brings the sentence back to the positive) got no, (negative number three, which now brings the original negative back into line as the writer of the sentence intended for it to be, a net positive) time for that.
It's not often that I find such a sentence in the wild. Have I found the rare and elusive "triple negative"? Does anyone else ever come across a train wreck like this?

idontknowyet

Re: Is this a rare Triple Negative?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 12:10:58 AM »
Have I heard that used?

Absolutely!

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em  :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

The following users thanked this post: Sailor Stone

Anarchist

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 12:36:54 AM »
When it comes to vernacular, anything goes (e.g. "I'm is talking right!")
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 01:22:51 AM »
My kids love to say "We the best music" (DJ Kaled) just to hear me say, "We the worst grammar".

I've heard "aint nobody got time for that".

Maybe it's kind of like "I could care less" has replaced "I couldn't care less," and literally now means figuratively etc, etc, and so forth.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 03:34:56 AM »
I don't know if it is rare, but it's a beauty - and, speaking as a Brit, it sounds right out of the southern USA, there's a lovely Yankee twang to it.

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 04:54:39 AM »
It might could be.

Interestingly, some languages like French have the double negative structured into them, to mean the negative, not the negated negative. It's one source of our own double negatives in English, especially dialects of American English--the French/Creole/Cajun influences, especially among immigrants and those lacking access to formal education, historically.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: TinkSaid

Shoe

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 04:57:17 AM »
I ain't got no clue.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 05:01:26 AM »
I never took French, but my kid is and they were warned at the beginning of the semester if they run their homework through google translate the teachers will know because google translate is really good at the sophisticated French conjugations that aren't taught until the AP level.

Sailor Stone

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 06:10:28 AM »
I ain't got no clue.

Not me, neither.

Sailor Stone

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 06:16:48 AM »
It might could be.

Interestingly, some languages like French have the double negative structured into them, to mean the negative, not the negated negative. It's one source of our own double negatives in English, especially dialects of American English--the French/Creole/Cajun influences, especially among immigrants and those lacking access to formal education, historically.

Yes, and regarding the lack of access to a formal education; I believe (not one hundred percent sure on this) that there was no southern accent in the United States until after the Civil War when large rural areas were left in utter poverty and the "southern accent" grew out of a combination of local dialects that regressed from what was considered proper speak before the war.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 06:24:53 AM »
It might be, or it might not be, but I can't tell one way nor the other nohow.

It might could be.

Yes, and regarding the lack of access to a formal education; I believe (not one hundred percent sure on this) that there was no southern accent in the United States until after the Civil War when large rural areas were left in utter poverty and the "southern accent" grew out of a combination of local dialects that regressed from what was considered proper speak before the war.

The accents of the four major British-American folkways have their origins in Britain and Ireland.  See David Hackett Fischer's Albion's Seed for more details.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

elleoco

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 07:40:27 AM »
I don't know if it is rare, but it's a beauty - and, speaking as a Brit, it sounds right out of the  southern USA, there's a lovely Yankee twang to it.
Yup, you have Brit bona fides. Yankee twang isn't a Southern U.S. thing.

Vijaya

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 08:03:48 AM »
I don't know if it is rare, but it's a beauty - and, speaking as a Brit, it sounds right out of the southern USA, there's a lovely Yankee twang to it.

I live in the South Carolina and have heard this many times.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Sailor Stone

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 10:07:56 AM »

I live in the South Carolina and have heard this many times.

Ha! Good for us, I live in South Carolina as well, but what I don't see often is something like that being written in a tech forum. I think hearing it is fairly common, but seeing it in print on a forum where educated people are online is rather startling.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »
Ehhh, you just need to get rid of that "no" and it will read correctly.   :tap

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:34:08 PM by dgcasey »
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 03:09:47 PM »
I just knew Sweet Brown would make an appearance in this thread.   :icon_rofl:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Laughing Elephant

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 11:55:14 PM »
I was just on a tech forum and came across this beauty of a sentence in one of the subject threads:
"Ain't nobody got no time for that."
Is this a legitimate triple negative? I will try to break it down:
Aint' (negative number one which signals the sentence to be a negative) nobody (negative number two which, like in mathematics where two negatives make a positive, now brings the sentence back to the positive) got no, (negative number three, which now brings the original negative back into line as the writer of the sentence intended for it to be, a net positive) time for that.
It's not often that I find such a sentence in the wild. Have I found the rare and elusive "triple negative"? Does anyone else ever come across a train wreck like this?

I dur say there's more negatives goin' on in that there comment.

I know I ain't got no time for no more negatives cos there ain't any more negatives I can handle right now and that right there is the only positive thing to say about that, ain't that the truth!

:eek: :dizzy :icon_eek:

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2020, 03:07:58 AM »
I don't know if it is rare, but it's a beauty - and, speaking as a Brit, it sounds right out of the  southern USA, there's a lovely Yankee twang to it.

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend.  :icon_redface:

elleoco

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 09:46:29 AM »

Sorry. Didn't mean to offend.  :icon_redface:
Oh, you took that wrong. There is no offense. I thought it was cute. Twangs tend to be New England. South is drawl.