Author Topic: What's Up with D2D?  (Read 3343 times)

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
What's Up with D2D?
« on: October 11, 2018, 12:40:03 AM »
When I was experimenting with going wide, I used four different aggregators, Each had some unique outlets, but I did all four primarily to see how the processes worked. I used D2D, Smashwords, PublishDrive, and Streetlib.

All four worked reasonably well, but I preferred D2D's system. I also like the fact that D2D seems to be expanding into other author services, like its universal links.

Of course, the problem with any aggregator is that instore promotions, like Kobo's, are typically only available if you go direct. However, in recent days, I've seen evidence that some of the other aggregators are stepping up their game in this respect--but not D2D.

Here's what I've seen. First, Streetlib emails to say that any book distributed to Kobo through Streetlib will be eligible for the Walmart promotion. Second, PublishDrive emails to say that, from now on, all PublishDrive titles are eligible for any instore promotions.

Am I confused, are these two aggregators mistaken, or are they really able to interact with the retailers in ways D2D can't? (I've asked D2D about working toward making their titles eligible for instore promotions, and I've gotten a "We'll take that into consideration in the future" kind of response. If other aggregators are really doing it, and D2D somehow isn't, that would change my opinion about which one to use as my primary channel.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

Denise

Re: What's Up with D2D?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 12:53:44 AM »
Hum, I'm assuming PublishDrive does it manually.

https://publishdrive.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003160313-Store-specific-promotions-and-featuring

I can't find any public articles about Streetlib and Kobo promotions, but I'd assume it's similar.

I think it would perhaps be too much work for D2D, since they have a lot more authors. Some Kobo promotions have specific requirements, and need payment for example, so there's application, response, billing... I think it would be a logistical nightmare for an aggregator to take care of all that.

The Walmart promotion was free (there was no billing involved), and it had super lax requirements. I think it was just a matter of ticking a box, which was nice that Streetlib offered, nonetheless. Would they help with paid promotions? Not sure. Before coming to any conclusion, I'd perhaps take a closer look at how much they are doing.

I think if you want to use store promotions, it's better to go direct. There's no reason not to go directly with Kobo, since it's simple, easy, etc. That said, maybe these smaller aggregators can offer more personalized services, which could be a good incentive to choose them.

I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with Draft2Digital.

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 01:39:45 AM »
Hum, I'm assuming PublishDrive does it manually.

https://publishdrive.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003160313-Store-specific-promotions-and-featuring

I can't find any public articles about Streetlib and Kobo promotions, but I'd assume it's similar.

I think it would perhaps be too much work for D2D, since they have a lot more authors. Some Kobo promotions have specific requirements, and need payment for example, so there's application, response, billing... I think it would be a logistical nightmare for an aggregator to take care of all that.

The Walmart promotion was free (there was no billing involved), and it had super lax requirements. I think it was just a matter of ticking a box, which was nice that Streetlib offered, nonetheless. Would they help with paid promotions? Not sure. Before coming to any conclusion, I'd perhaps take a closer look at how much they are doing.

I think if you want to use store promotions, it's better to go direct. There's no reason not to go directly with Kobo, since it's simple, easy, etc. That said, maybe these smaller aggregators can offer more personalized services, which could be a good incentive to choose them.

I wouldn't say that there's anything wrong with Draft2Digital.
It's my hope that there isn't anything wrong with them. You make a very good point about the paid promotions. I'm not sure how much bigger D2D is than the others (they've been around for a long time, though PD and SL haven't been as active in the US until recently), but I can see there could be some logistical challenges to work out if the number of authors involved at D2D is enormously bigger.

Going direct is better from a store promotions standpoint. I like the convenience of being able to use an aggregator, so I was hoping that eventually the aggregators and retailers would work something out. I know a lot of authors go direct whenever they can (which means go direct to all the more profitable retailers) and use aggregators only for outlets they can't reach any other way. That makes more sense financially, but that course of action seems as if it would eventually drive the aggregators out of business. Perhaps that wouldn't be a big issue, but some outlets that aren't meaningful now might become so in the future. Perhaps I'm just overthinking that part.  :nerd:

guest14

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 01:41:57 AM »
D2D Have big plans, methinks!

I'm very fond of that company even though I am spartan in my use of their services.

The following users thanked this post: Sailor Stone

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 02:11:09 AM »
D2D Have big plans, methinks!

I'm very fond of that company even though I am spartan in my use of their services.
I've gotten that sense, too. Any idea what those plans might be?

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 03:18:25 AM »
c4c

:banana-riding-llama-smiley-em

Maggie Ann

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 03:59:37 AM »
Didn't you get the email from D2D that we are in WalMart? My books are there. Tough to find anything, though. It's WalMart's usual bad search engine.

boyd

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 09:40:18 PM »
You guys interested in seeing if I can get Dan Wood from D2D in here to answer the question for you? I'm new here and with the new forum, I don't wanna step on any toes.  Kobo is now Mark from D2D :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:54:07 PM by boyd »

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, Sailor Stone

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 12:03:19 AM »
You guys interested in seeing if I can get Dan Wood from D2D in here to answer the question for you? I'm new here and with the new forum, I don't wanna step on any toes.  Kobo is now Mark from D2D :)
I'd be interested, though the issue may be resolving itself. I got an email just yesterday from Dan Wood indicating that D2D books were eligible for an upcoming Kobo promotion. I don't end if that will end up being a frequent thing or if Kobo is testing with different aggregators to see what the results are. I've gotten Streetlib emails about a couple of other promotions since I started this thread, but not this particular one.

Maggie Ann, yes, I got the email that D2D books were in Walmart. The issue was never availability of books--it was eligibility for instore promotions.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:51:14 AM »
I'd be interested, though the issue may be resolving itself. I got an email just yesterday from Dan Wood indicating that D2D books were eligible for an upcoming Kobo promotion. I don't end if that will end up being a frequent thing or if Kobo is testing with different aggregators to see what the results are. I've gotten Streetlib emails about a couple of other promotions since I started this thread, but not this particular one.

Maggie Ann, yes, I got the email that D2D books were in Walmart. The issue was never availability of books--it was eligibility for instore promotions.

Ah, I didn't realize that.  :angel:

Sailor Stone

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 04:01:29 AM »

Welcome Boyd.  Good to see you here.  Yes, I would love to hear from him. Great idea.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 06:21:31 AM »

Hey, Boyd.   :mhk9U91:  Glad you made it over here.  And I'd love to have Dan here, too.  I think the world of D2D.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

guest430

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 07:00:34 AM »

boyd, great idea, if Dan agrees please drop Tim a PM and let him know so that he can set aside a forum / thread for him and make a global announcement.