Author Topic: Can someone explain to me how to get a report off Ingram?  (Read 1917 times)

notthatamanda

Can someone explain to me how to get a report off Ingram?
« on: November 06, 2019, 12:05:30 PM »
I want to see where the copies of my book were sold, eg, Amazon, B&N, etc.  I got an email from Lightning Source and apparently I sold one in the UK.

The only report I see gives me the title, and the list price, and the sales with the number of copies, total sales minus print charge and my net. Then the total.  Are we not allowed to know where they went?

Thanks for the help.

123mlh

Re: Can someone explain to me how to get a report off Ingram?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 12:25:06 PM »
As far as I know country is as detailed as it gets.

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 12:27:53 PM »
You'll never find out where your book was sold.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:58:12 PM by Eric Thomson »

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 12:36:13 PM »
Thanks.  I thought we could, I can stop thinking about it now.  :)

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 12:35:42 AM »
Okay I'm still thinking about it.  So I sold one in the UK, but the hardcover on the UK amazon site is still unranked.  I guess they could buy it off Kobo in the UK?  Anybody else?  I'm just really interested in learning how this side of the business works a little more even if I don't exactly know where the books are going.  Who makes up the global distribution for Ingram?

Eric Thomson

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 12:51:10 AM »
Okay I'm still thinking about it.  So I sold one in the UK, but the hardcover on the UK amazon site is still unranked.  I guess they could buy it off Kobo in the UK?  Anybody else?  I'm just really interested in learning how this side of the business works a little more even if I don't exactly know where the books are going.  Who makes up the global distribution for Ingram?
Pretty much any book retailer from Amazon down to the local mom & pop can order books from the IS catalog.  If a notthatamanda fan walks into Wooster Books on Hereford High Street and has them order a copy of your latest it'll appear on the IS UK report.  IS distributes if not quite worldwide than close, although it only has production facilities in a limited number of countries.

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 01:09:38 AM »
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured.  Any wholesale bookseller can order off Ingram.  I'm going to google Wooster books after this, I love independent bookstores.

Do you guys think it is worth it to pay the $85 US to be in Ingram's Newsletter?  What about for large print?

I did the $85 dollars for my latest release for both the hardcover and the large print, it wasn't wildly successful but Amazon did order a case of 12 for their stock (I know because it says how many are in stock on the book page).  But I have no idea if that was because of the newsletter.

I'm going to be getting all my books onto Ingram and I don't know if it will be worth it for older titles just going into print for the first time.  I am on the fence, but leaning towards no for the regular book but maybe yes for the large print just because there is less of a selection for that.

All thoughts on the Ingram newsletter and Ingram in general appreciated.  I don't expect to make a killing on Ingram, but if there is anything that could help I'd love to hear about it.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 01:38:01 AM »
Thanks, that's kind of what I figured.  Any wholesale bookseller can order off Ingram.  I'm going to google Wooster books after this, I love independent bookstores.

Do you guys think it is worth it to pay the $85 US to be in Ingram's Newsletter?  What about for large print?

I did the $85 dollars for my latest release for both the hardcover and the large print, it wasn't wildly successful but Amazon did order a case of 12 for their stock (I know because it says how many are in stock on the book page).  But I have no idea if that was because of the newsletter.

I'm going to be getting all my books onto Ingram and I don't know if it will be worth it for older titles just going into print for the first time.  I am on the fence, but leaning towards no for the regular book but maybe yes for the large print just because there is less of a selection for that.

All thoughts on the Ingram newsletter and Ingram in general appreciated.  I don't expect to make a killing on Ingram, but if there is anything that could help I'd love to hear about it.

I've never paid attention to the IS newsletter option because my business model is focused on ebooks and on not paying a cent to produce print books (other than the author copies I order) since paperback and hardcover are complementary products for the tiny segment of my readership who want physical copies. So far this year, IS moved 146 copies of my books, and I have, as of publishing my 16th two weeks ago, 16 paperback and 16 hardcover with IS.  So it's really not worth my while paying $85.  I also have paperbacks through KDP Print for the Amazon market only, and have sold 138 copies of those so far this year.