Author Topic: Book a month ...  (Read 12654 times)

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Book a month ...
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2019, 05:23:08 AM »

Do you have a big catalogue?  30k-300K -->decent living I'm assuming that's a lot of books bouncing around in that range.  Just curious.

I've published nine novels and three novellas. A decent living for me is $50k.
Congratulations! Many of the people whom I know make a living have larger catalogs than that. You must really have found methods that work well for you to be making a living at this point in your career.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

notthatamanda

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2019, 06:24:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing the info. 

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2019, 07:56:41 AM »
A retired individual living in Harlingen, TX will define it differently than a 45-year-old individual living in Manhattan, NY. The former might define "decent living" as netting $20,000 a year. The latter might define it as netting $200,000 a year.

This is the first time I've ever heard of Harlingen, Texas.  I googled it.  It's apparently a suburb of Brownsville.

I've never been to Texas.  I really need to remedy that some day.  The farthest west I've ever been is Baton Rouge.  I've been to Africa, but I haven't seen the American West.   :confused:

On the other hand I live in Australia, so no health insurance required.

It's not required for me, either.  ;)
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

cuberoute

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »
The sad fact is is that writing as a business is a lot like construction work. There are good times and bad, and just when you think you're at the top and things are smoothing out, things can take a wild dip. If you're not prepared for these, you're going to be caught by surprise. There's really not a lot of stability in careers in the arts.

Reminds me of that article about the woman who spent as if the money was going to keep coming after she sold some books. If you've ever read any of Lawrence Block's writing books, you'll probably be prepared. He's very open about the ups and downs he went through in his career.

Anyone who can write a book a year and make good money should be proud of that--and a little cautious. It could continue, even get more stable, or it could not. I'd be planning for it to not. :D I'd try to get some books in the bank, so to speak for a dip.

One book a year for most people is really not going to cut it long-term. That's the top 1% of authors or an even smaller slice of the pie of all authors earning a living exclusively through writing. If you aim for that, you're probably going to be disappointed. Maybe not, but... yeah. It's like deciding you're going to make a living on lottery winnings. :D

Four books a years is much more common in the earning a living group, and more than that for a lot of people if you count in pen names and the like. And some of those people are not depending 100% on book sales for money either.

Truly, it's different for everyone. If a few books a year don't work, try more, and if that's not doable, try something else until you find something that does work. And if one a year is all you got in you or all you're willing to do, then try anyway and hope for the best. That 1% is made up of people and you never know. Could be you. Just try not to lose hope if it isn't.

I love writing for a living, and I've had some years at this point where I put out one book and made a good living and some where I've put out four and had to scrape by. It really depends on the book, the series, and the pen name and the amount of money I happen to need to get by. :D

Up or down, I wouldn't want to do anything else. If writing a book a month is what it took, I'd be trying a lot harder to write a book a month. As it is, I'd love to be there anyway, because I'd love to finish everything I've started and write a whole lot more besides, long before I die. :D

Lecture done!

TL;DR I don't pander to non-readers. ;D  :hehe

This is why I think financial independence discussions should be a vital and ongoing conversation amongst writers actually making a living at this.

The flood of gold needs to be preserved, thrown into index funds with an aim of having enough to live off if Amazon boots you.

I'm acutely aware I'm entirely reliant on Amazon. I've made money wide but the other stores are a joke compared to Amazon. Even diversification to audiobooks is still just Amazon and the recent ACX ban just shows how quick it can be taken away.

Years ago I had novels that reliably would make $50K in a reasonable time. Then in came KU and now the same novel makes around $20-35K. I can sit and work out the pages read and convert them to sales and my novels now still are on level with the pre-KU ones. The only difference now is that instead of making 70% of $4.99 per sale, I'm getting $0.0045 per page and the rest of that money stays in Amazon's pocket.

I'm pretty cynical about the next five to ten years. I don't think Amazon will ever stop reducing royalties. They started with 35% and only went to 70% because Apple entered the game.

But they can read the landscape. They cut audible from 70% to 40% and there's not much anyone can do. They are the biggest game in town and other places have even worse terms for weaker distribution and sales.

I'm coming out of a period of disrupted writing due to having two children and now I'm starting to pedal like a motherf*cker again. Plans of stock up on manuscripts, release one a month have been replaced with get them out as fast as possible, take the royalties and keep them in the bank.

I really don't trust Amazon at all. If they could Spotify us with royalties they would and may still. It'll just be some new per page calculation model that will come out and suddenly that $0.0045 per page will be a fever dream as payouts will be 1/3 or even less than that.

The following users thanked this post: alyson

Shoe

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2019, 11:27:34 AM »

This is why I think financial independence discussions should be a vital and ongoing conversation amongst writers actually making a living at this.

You might enjoy reading this revealing article on author income from The Authors Guild (both traditionally and self-published):

https://www.authorsguild.org/industry-advocacy/six-takeaways-from-the-authors-guild-2018-authors-income-survey/

Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2019, 01:56:40 PM »
The only difference now is that instead of making 70% of $4.99 per sale, I'm getting $0.0045 per page and the rest of that money stays in Amazon's pocket.

While I will agree with the sentiment that we would make more from an actual sale, Amazon really isn't getting to keep any money from their KU side of the business. They sell a membership for ten dollars a month and those readers can read one book a month or a hundred books a month. Amazon, themselves, would have to see that they could make more from the sale of a book than from page reads. I wouldn't mind seeing KU go tits-up, but then again, we do make some money from it. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »
Over the past 30 days my income has been split 50/50 between KU and royalties. (I'm all-in now with Amazon)

But the page reads haven't cannibalised my sales, because without them it was a pretty normal month. The only difference is that I've been advertising heavily (for me) on AMS to get page reads.

In other words, 2 steps forward and one step back.

I'm still tweaking ads daily, trying to hit the sweet spot between getting reads and having a runaway spend on one ad because I'm outbidding. At first I know I was paying too much but did so anyway, because it was bringing my rankings up.

cuberoute

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2019, 02:50:41 PM »
The only difference now is that instead of making 70% of $4.99 per sale, I'm getting $0.0045 per page and the rest of that money stays in Amazon's pocket.

While I will agree with the sentiment that we would make more from an actual sale, Amazon really isn't getting to keep any money from their KU side of the business. They sell a membership for ten dollars a month and those readers can read one book a month or a hundred books a month. Amazon, themselves, would have to see that they could make more from the sale of a book than from page reads. I wouldn't mind seeing KU go tits-up, but then again, we do make some money from it. Might as well enjoy it while it lasts.

Netflix has 151 million subscribers, taking in roughly $1.5 billion a month.

How many KU subscribers do you think there are?

September was $25.9 million they put into the pot. That's roughly 2.5 million KU subscribers to pay for that.

I think Amazon has far more than 2.5 million KU subscribers. Once the pot money is filled, the rest goes into Amazon's pocket.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »
Over the past 30 days my income has been split 50/50 between KU and royalties. (I'm all-in now with Amazon)

But the page reads haven't cannibalised my sales, because without them it was a pretty normal month. The only difference is that I've been advertising heavily (for me) on AMS to get page reads.

In other words, 2 steps forward and one step back.

I'm still tweaking ads daily, trying to hit the sweet spot between getting reads and having a runaway spend on one ad because I'm outbidding. At first I know I was paying too much but did so anyway, because it was bringing my rankings up.

Well, I certainly saw a cut to my sales when I pulled my ebooks from wide and put them all back in KU. Like you, I am experimenting with AMS right now, trying to find "sweet spot" and I can get it going back and forth. I started off my latest set of ads at .30 cents per bids and was getting well over 10K impressions a day. I know a lot of authors get 10K in twenty minutes, but I'm a small fish. Then I dropped my bids to .20 cents across the board and saw the impressions go down by 2/3 and clicks about the same. I went back to .30 a few days ago and saw them rise back to where they were before the cut. On the 21st, I'm going to drop to .25 cents and see how that affects things.

One thing I'm cognizant of is this is the beginning of the holiday season, so my little experiments may mean nothing in the long run. I'm already planning to run the same experiments during the first three months of 2020 and see how that goes. I want to let each price point run for an entire month.

One thing I am beginning to see is that the standard ad is just as effective as the custom ad with the small blurb, making your idea of combining multiple books in one campaign a no-brainer.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

selyons

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2019, 01:48:24 PM »
I do get burned out when I crank too hard for too long. That said, I let it flow when it flows and I don't fret when it doesn't. Sometimes, I write 12K in a day. Sometimes, I write 0k in 12 days! LOL

This is me. Sometimes, I meet my daily goal (3000 words) every day in a week. Other weeks, I go for four or five days without writing. Then, I make up for it, but 7,000 words is my absolute limit and that burns me out for a day or so so it averages out to between 2,000 - 3,000 words each writing day. I don't write every day. I write 4 or 5 days a week when I am actively writing a book. Then I have editing and planning weeks between books. I spend 10% of my revenues on advertising, including Facebook ads and promos like Bookbub and Fussy Librarian, Freebooksy.

It's not necessary to write 12 books a year to make a living at this. It all depends on what you write and how big your market is. I will have published 6 novels and 2 three-book collections of those books this year and will make $200K. Maybe if I did publish 12 books, I would make more but not necessarily twice as much money. It depends on how well my books are received, how much advertising I do, etc.

There is no guarantee except that if you don't finish books and publish them, you'll never know.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:53:11 PM by selyons »
The Author Formerly Known as Sela

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet