Author Topic: "(Number+) bought or read in past month"  (Read 75 times)

Seoulite

• Tag Line unlocked
"(Number+) bought or read in past month"
« on: May 16, 2024, 02:44:51 PM »

It seems Amazon is now posting estimates of reads/boughts on the books' pages in small font, right above the synopses. For example, on Freida McFadden's Never Lie page, it says "100K+ bought or read in past month." I thought it might only apply to KU books, so I checked out some wide authors. It's the same for them as well.

Have you noticed these additions on your books' pages? From my brief observations, though, I think this only applies to books selling 100+ per month.

cuberoute

Re: "(Number+) bought or read in past month"
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 08:55:14 PM »
Interesting that it seems disconnected from ranking a little. I have a audible title with 500+ on it, and the books with worse ranks say 10K bought.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2024, 12:09:17 AM »
I have seen this on some other kinds of products for a while.

From glancing at the discussion on FB, I noticed an alleged Amazon response that makes it sound as if the figure is more than just borrows and reads. It might, for example, include listens. (Amazon uses that data in its Amazon Charts system.)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

cecilia_writer

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2024, 03:53:21 AM »
I wonder if this is only on amazon.com - my new release has unexpectedly sold over 200 copies this month (mostly on co.uk though) and there is no sign of it - I don't seem to be seeing it on anyone else's so that is some consolation!
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2024, 12:26:10 PM »
I wonder if this is only on amazon.com - my new release has unexpectedly sold over 200 copies this month

it says "100K+ bought or read in past month."

Slight scale imbalance.

100,000 sales/reads in a month to get that. The quoted book has high level orange tags, which I suspect comes first before the extra note.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

cecilia_writer

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2024, 05:34:22 PM »
I wonder if this is only on amazon.com - my new release has unexpectedly sold over 200 copies this month

it says "100K+ bought or read in past month."

Slight scale imbalance.

100,000 sales/reads in a month to get that. The quoted book has high level orange tags, which I suspect comes first before the extra note.

Yes, when I thought about this overnight I realised it probably only applied to books in top 20s or something, sorry.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #6 on: Today at 12:45:57 AM »
It may also still be in the experimental phase. I've heard reports of some people not seeing it, even on very high-ranking books.

But since it's only likely to benefit high-selling books, wasn't the ranking enough? This seems a little bit like overkill.

Seoulite

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #7 on: Today at 12:49:41 AM »
This has been a nice little distraction for the past couple of days (checking on my favorite books' sales estimates), but honestly, I'm not clear on the purpose of all this. Will it help with marketing? Will it help increase sales? At the moment, it feels more like clutter to me. :confused:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #8 on: Today at 12:50:04 AM »
It may also still be in the experimental phase. I've heard reports of some people not seeing it, even on very high-ranking books.

But since it's only likely to benefit high-selling books, wasn't the ranking enough? This seems a little bit like overkill.

It sounds to me like a keep Trad happy thing.

When they hit a winner, they want Amazon to acknowledge it with something special.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #9 on: Today at 01:04:18 AM »
It's not just for trads. I just checked two authors I know to be a high-selling indies, and the rough number of sales this month is present. But it's probable it will appear more with trads because of the household-name authors.