Author Topic: Big names reading KKR’s blog?  (Read 3129 times)

Vidya

Big names reading KKR’s blog?
« on: November 17, 2018, 08:40:08 PM »
https://kriswrites.com/2018/11/07/business-musings-getting-to-the-stories-you-love/

Tess Gerritsen made this comment here:

“Thoughtful and very relevant article for those of us who’ve been in the business a long time. Those “books of the heart” are the reason we’re still writing, even if our publishers don’t want those books. Even if we know we’ll take a hit in sales. Even if it harms our sales statistics with the bean counters. Those are the books you’ll end up being proudest of.

If you don’t indulge that desire every so often, you’ll burn out and stop writing entirely.”

Why would a trad pubbed author like Tess Gerritsen, who sells in millions, be reading KKR’s blog?

Especially when KKR also says:

“Even the early gurus of self-publishing have either given up or gone back to traditional publishing in whole or in part. Considering how outspoken some of them were about the evils of traditional publishing, you (I) have to wonder what caused the shift. And the silence. None of them are blogging any more.”

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, plennox

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
Re: Big names reading KKR’s blog?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 12:01:59 AM »
KKR is asking in order to answer her own question.

The answer is burnout.

Moving from successful indie to successful tradpubbed author allows a slower pace of writing, and a lot less of the "other stuff." It's like making your fortune "out in the wild west" and then coming back to the cities. Being an indie author encourages burnout, because everything rests on the individual's shoulders. If they don't use strategies to mitigate the burnout, especially when trying to scale up, they might find the well running dry.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 12:40:48 AM by David VanDyke »
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: Eric Thomson, idontknowyet, Ghost5, Anarchist

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 04:48:33 AM »
I read KKR's blog and we sometimes talk on Twitter, but I am far from a big name.  She and Dean are really nice even though I can't afford any of their classes.

Her blog posts are often helpful and it's enlightening to see big names dealing with the same challenges we all face. 

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

cecilia_writer

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 04:54:03 AM »
I read KKR's blog and we sometimes talk on Twitter, but I am far from a big name.  She and Dean are really nice even though I can't afford any of their classes.

Her blog posts are often helpful and it's enlightening to see big names dealing with the same challenges we all face.

I agree - I've just read the post and it is mostly only a difference in scale!
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »
They're reading her blog because she's been in the business longer than I've been alive, has won numerous accolades, written hundreds of books, worked as chief editor for a major sci-fi magazine for the better part of a decade, and is still going strong. She's weathered all the storms, seen all the scandals, and learned from all the hard knocks. She's also reinvented herself numerous times, and done so quite successfully.

She's no self-made "guru" who made a quick buck and is now teaching authors to do the same; she's the real thing. Her star might not burn hot and bright, but it does burn consistently and long.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, CoraBuhlert, PJ Post, Ghost5, AnneRTan, MHodmann, Rose Andrews, ragdoll

plennox

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 01:46:55 AM »
Thank you for posting the article, Vidya - I've been having one of those "God, I wish I'd started all this in the boom market" days, but this was encouraging:

We’re in a mature market now, and the highs aren’t as high (and the lows aren’t as low).

My personality is such that, had I started back then and seen success but flatlined as the market matured, I would have been one of the authors that vanished.  It hurts to admit that, but I know myself. Stability is important to me (though you wouldn't know it from my resume of "server, server, freelancer, indie author"  :icon_rofl:), and I found so much comfort in that line.  The lows aren't as low.

At the end of the day, no matter how much I wish I had a shot at those super-high highs of the boom market, I would much rather have the not-as-low lows of the mature market.

The topic of burnout and not planning for the long haul was great, too.  By my one-year "indie-versary" in February, I'll have written 10 or 11 novels - which makes me feel very accomplished, because it's more than I've written in my entire life combined, but it has put me through the wringer in every way imaginable. I've had to reevaluate my production schedule and take serious stock of why I'm doing this.

Most importantly, I've had to ask myself a question I didn't think of once this year: where do I want to be in 3 years, or 5, or 10?  Will I still be doing this?

The answer was painful, but obvious: I wouldn't last another year at this output.

The writing schedule itself is doable, and I'm blessed to have...maybe not so much "books of the heart," but a genuine love of my genre (meaning, I would be writing it regardless of sales/demand/popularity). All my books have some of my heart in them.  That helps fend off the burnout.

What's really stressful for me is the overall scale. She mentioned the financial aspect of the hamster wheel, "handling cashflow," and that's been the hardest part of a fast production schedule.  I haven't been able to devote the promo time and dollars to a book or series I should before it's time to write the next. My head spins with numbers 24/7, and I'm so not a numbers person.

Anyway, long story short, I'm thinking of slowing to 6 books for my second year. Maybe that means my second year won't be as big as it could be with another 10 books, but it gives me a much better shot of lasting long enough to have a third year, a fifth, a tenth, etc.

Thank you again for posting it :)

Vidya

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 02:00:37 AM »
You're welcome, plennox. It's worth subscribing to KKR's blog and reading her weekly insights. I dont think there's anyone else out there who gives as much inside info on how the industry works.

The following users thanked this post: plennox

Vijaya

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 05:24:51 AM »
Good article. Thank you for sharing the link because I read some more of her posts and they are excellent. Lots to learn.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

ragdoll

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 05:40:33 AM »
They're reading her blog because she's been in the business longer than I've been alive, has won numerous accolades, written hundreds of books, worked as chief editor for a major sci-fi magazine for the better part of a decade, and is still going strong. She's weathered all the storms, seen all the scandals, and learned from all the hard knocks. She's also reinvented herself numerous times, and done so quite successfully.

She's no self-made "guru" who made a quick buck and is now teaching authors to do the same; she's the real thing. Her star might not burn hot and bright, but it does burn consistently and long.

Thank you, Joe. You echoed my thoughts, but were more thorough and eloquent. :D

Vidya

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 11:04:48 AM »
You’re welcome, Vijaya. I think many of us forget sometimes there are still writers who may not have heard of certain famous industry blogs. it’s good to post links now and then so other can also start subscribing to them.

Actually, Tim, how about if we have a sticky listing important industry blogs such as KKR and Passive Voice? I should post that suggestion in the  suggestions forum.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 12:54:57 PM »
You’re welcome, Vijaya. I think many of us forget sometimes there are still writers who may not have heard of certain famous industry blogs. it’s good to post links now and then so other can also start subscribing to them.

Actually, Tim, how about if we have a sticky listing important industry blogs such as KKR and Passive Voice? I should post that suggestion in the  suggestions forum.

There is already a sticky like that.
https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=1091.0

Please add your suggestions :)

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

tdecastro31

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 06:14:18 AM »
I love her blog...and her books. I'm a big fan of her Kris Nelscott penned mysteries.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 11:10:33 AM by tdecastro31 »

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

Ghost5

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 09:27:45 AM »
I love her blog...and her books. I'm big fan of her Kris Nelscott penned mysteries.

Thanks for the tip--I'm going to check these out now.
 :catrun