Author Topic: Prime is $12.99/month now?  (Read 2809 times)

notthatamanda

Prime is $12.99/month now?
« on: September 23, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
I just placed an order and it made the usual pitch for prime, but that is a lot more that what I thought it was.

Post-Crisis D

Re: Prime is $12.99/month now?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 10:12:38 AM »
They gotta pay for all the streaming junk no one watches somehow.  :hehe

I kind of wish they had tiers where you could get a free shipping only option for $79/year.  The free shipping was the only thing that was worthwhile for me.

On the flip side, I find myself ordering less and less on Amazon anymore.  Used to be a good place for hard to find stuff, but now they just make it hard to find stuff.  Too many junk listings; too many of the identical products from different sellers.  Ironic that they brought the hammer down on public domain books because those would lead consumer confusion or whatever, but they're perfectly happy with thirty companies selling the same widget with their own company name imprinted on it.

Oh, but I digress.  Yes, Amazon Prime is $13/mo. now.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner, Rosie Scott, mk31333

elleoco

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 11:07:58 AM »
The free shipping was the only thing that was worthwhile for me.

Me too. So I group my orders and settle for slow standard free shipping. The couple times I've been induced to try Prime with some low offer, I've never gotten everything in the advertised two days anyway.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 11:49:03 AM »
Prime works for me, although if they keep pushing the cost up, it may not be worth it. But I take advantage of Prime reading, music, and movies as well as the shipping.

And I shop Amazon a lot. Just today, I had to order iron pills from Zon because two places I shopped didn't carry it. I wasn't about to make a special trip to find it at another store so I ordered it from Amazon.

I've gotten a few things in one day, as well. Sometimes, that matters.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »
Just checking on a package that was delivered by Amazon's delivery service. It's a little disconcerting to see a photo of my front porch with the package sitting on a chair as proof of delivery. Neither UPS nor USPS does that.  :dizzy

JRTomlin

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 01:38:51 PM »
It was rather convenient when they delivered something to the wrong address and I pointed out that it looked nothing like my front door.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 10:51:30 PM »
It was rather convenient when they delivered something to the wrong address and I pointed out that it looked nothing like my front door.

I suppose so, but they shouldn't post it unless they do need proof of delivery. Besides, it reminded me that my front door needs painting a different color.

Rosie Scott

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »
You "save" $37 if you buy a year outright, which is what we do. It's currently $119 per year. It used to be worth it for us not just for the Prime shipping, but the pre-order discounts on video games. Each game pre-ordered through Amazon used to be $47.99, which was an instant savings of $12 a piece. Within two to three months our subscription paid for itself.

...Then they got rid of that, and the last video game we pre-ordered beforehand charged us full price after the benefit ended. During a long phone call with the Amazon rep, he informed me he had no idea what this pre-order price discount was and didn't understand where I'd heard of it. He eventually refunded the $12, but that conversation made me realize just how incompetent Amazon can be.

Regardless, without the video game discounts Prime teeters on the edge of uselessness for us. We don't use any benefit other than the free shipping now. I'll be reviewing the cost/benefit of this year's Prime when it's up for renewal in February.

Fantasy/sci-fi. Writer of bloody warfare & witty banter. Provoker of questions.
Rosie Scott | Website | Release Mailing List

WasAnn

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »
I've been a prime member since 2001 and it was always a good deal for me because I've literally placed thousands of orders. Plus I send stuff all the time to the parents. Also, I have echo devices all over both houses (at my parents' for safety reasons). Prime music, prime reading...yay, works for me.

And then....

Prime video turned lame, prime music has fewer selections, prime reading is ONLY first in series for indies, Kindle first is 80% crappy books, and I'm ordering less now that they've been outed now for manipulating the search results to show items with more profit...instead of what you might actually want to buy.

Phew....gross.

Of course, with 17 echo devices, I'm now trapped in Prime like a spider's web...so...

Science Fiction is my game.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
I've been a prime member since 2001 and it was always a good deal for me because I've literally placed thousands of orders. Plus I send stuff all the time to the parents. Also, I have echo devices all over both houses (at my parents' for safety reasons). Prime music, prime reading...yay, works for me.

And then....

Prime video turned lame, prime music has fewer selections, prime reading is ONLY first in series for indies, Kindle first is 80% crappy books, and I'm ordering less now that they've been outed now for manipulating the search results to show items with more profit...instead of what you might actually want to buy.

Phew....gross.

Of course, with 17 echo devices, I'm now trapped in Prime like a spider's web...so...

I gave up on Kindle First books a long time ago. I knew it was time when the only books that were looking good were kids books.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 12:58:09 AM »
i feel the same way about Apple. Five phones and ten years of apps. Moving away from Apple is cost prohibitive.

Anyway, back on topic... prime music was great, until Amazon decided that they wanted more money, and created their premium music service, and moved music I listened to to there. Prime reading was great, until the available selections got crappier and crappier. Prime video was a decent alternative to Netflix, until each streaming service decided to start doing exclusive offerings.

I subscribe to Netflix, Hulu, Prime & Disney.