Author Topic: Preorders date can now be a year  (Read 2562 times)

notthatamanda

Preorders date can now be a year
« on: January 07, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
Just starting a new book set up now and it let me go all the way out to next January for the date.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Preorders date can now be a year
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 12:06:32 PM »
Just starting a new book set up now and it let me go all the way out to next January for the date.

I must admit, I'm tempted. But it needs covers, and at least some level of blurb, which will push doing it off a bit.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

notthatamanda

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 01:10:33 PM »
It's good for people who are stockpiling a series I guess.  Doesn't really do anything for me, but I figured people would like to know. The trades are putting up books with blank cover holders. I've seen them, but I can't remember any to post here, sorry.

MHodmann

• Blurb unlocked
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 08:07:09 PM »
Here is one example:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0837FWCRQ

I think it works if done correctly.

PaulineMRoss

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 03:08:44 AM »
It's been this way for a while - a few months, anyway. I don't think many people want to go all the way out to a year, but it's perfect for people like me who publish every 3 months. It means I don't have to juggle dates. I can guarantee to put the pre-order for the next book up a few days before each release, so there's always a next book for readers to pre-order.

The other improvement in this change is that you have the right to push out a book's pre-order date by up to a month if you hit a crisis, and you can do it right there on the dashboard, no emailing and pleading. You can only do that one time otherwise it's into the pre-order sin bin with a year's ban, but it's a huge concession.

Writing epic fantasy as Pauline M Ross; writing Regency romance as Mary Kingswood
Bookbub score: 16 for 93

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 04:07:38 AM »
For me, it allows me to set the pre-order date out farther than I actually intend, then bring it closer, just to provide a safe cushion.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 05:31:30 AM »
It's been this way for a while - a few months, anyway. I don't think many people want to go all the way out to a year, but it's perfect for people like me who publish every 3 months. It means I don't have to juggle dates. I can guarantee to put the pre-order for the next book up a few days before each release, so there's always a next book for readers to pre-order.

The other improvement in this change is that you have the right to push out a book's pre-order date by up to a month if you hit a crisis, and you can do it right there on the dashboard, no emailing and pleading. You can only do that one time otherwise it's into the pre-order sin bin with a year's ban, but it's a huge concession.
My bad, I thought they had extended it to six months from three (?).

David have you brought on in yet? Is it as straight forward as it sounds?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 11:13:08 AM »
My bad, I thought they had extended it to six months from three (?).

David have you brought on in yet? Is it as straight forward as it sounds?

Yes. You just reset the date. Minimum is 3 days hence.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 03:40:09 AM »
Completely straightforward. Should have been done ages ago.

Now if only they counted all the sales on Day 1 (or changed the tradpub pre-order rules to be like KDP to level the playing field) it would be a pretty good system.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 03:46:40 AM »

Now if only they counted all the sales on Day 1 (or changed the tradpub pre-order rules to be like KDP to level the playing field) it would be a pretty good system.
I've never been entirely clear on why Amazon didn't do that in the first place. All the other outlets do, and Amazon, as you say, does it for trad books.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 04:43:18 AM »

Not sure what you mean by that, David. Do Amazon not count all pre-orders as sales on Day 1? Can you explain?

What is confusing is when you have pre-orders (or sales) in three different time zones - Oz, UK and the US. It's hard to know, then, what orders have been added/accounted for, and when.

notthatamanda

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 04:46:58 AM »
I think he's talking about rank. Trades get a huge bump when all their preorders hit the day it goes live. We do not. It's one of the things to consider when uh, considering a preorder.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2020, 11:36:20 AM »
I think he's talking about rank. Trades get a huge bump when all their preorders hit the day it goes live. We do not. It's one of the things to consider when uh, considering a preorder.

We do. Perhaps not a 100% rank, but my last book was a trial of this, and instead of a top around 1500, it went to 1150, after debuting on pre-order around 5000.

So while it started slow, release day was better than expected.

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2020, 12:39:55 PM »
Good to know, thanks.