Author Topic: Any British English speakers here?  (Read 1198 times)

cecilia_writer

Any British English speakers here?
« on: March 11, 2019, 01:57:12 AM »
We don't say this where I live (in Edinburgh - not that our grammar is perfect, I hasten to add!) - I think it's more a North of England thing.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

VanessaC

Re: Any British English speakers here?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 02:59:36 AM »
Also living in Scotland, and I wouldn't expect to hear that here - but there is a lot of "local" variation across the UK as a whole - for example, in Glasgow people often ask "where do you stay?" meaning "where do you live?" - I think that's a Glasgow / west coast thing, as I don't remember hearing it elsewhere.

Genre: Fantasy

Tafkal

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 03:09:45 AM »
I believe it's a Yorkshire thing.

Reveries

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 03:15:38 AM »
It's regional phraseology. Used in northern England and some bits of the midlands, with a link to the old mining areas, and of course class sneaks into it a little in that anyone who went to posh schools would be less likely to use it.

There are far more fun phrases, such as:- It's looking black over Bill's mums.

JackT

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 03:21:29 AM »
"He were a great baker were our dad."

From the old Hovis advert. Definitely Yorkshire, that one!

spin52

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 04:03:58 AM »
It's not just a northern thing. My husband informs me, when he reverts to his countrified accent, "I were drug up in Chippy." Translation: He was born in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Gerri Attrick

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 05:06:35 AM »
Definitely regional - Yorkshire, Derbyshire (my county!). Wasn’t aware it was used as far south as Oxfordshire, but I’m not surprised.

I love our English regional sayings, everything from: It’s getting black over Bill’s mother’s, to Well, I gutta ( go to) the foot of our stairs, and She were a sandwich short of a picnic.

The late Fred Dibnah, a steeplejack from Bolton in Lancashire, once claimed there were ten (?) ways to say “house” in Yorkshire. In somewhere like York, they lived in a semi-detached hice, while those in Sheffield had a semi-detached arse.  :hehe

The following users thanked this post: Just Copyeditors - Annie

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »
It's not just a northern thing. My husband informs me, when he reverts to his countrified accent, "I were drug up in Chippy." Translation: He was born in Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire.

If someone said that to me, my first instinct would be to call the police, because I'd assume they were drugged in a chip shop.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime

Paranormal Kitty

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 09:54:22 AM »
Technically that indicates the subjunctive mood, so perhaps whoever started it was just unsure of himself all the time so he only spoke in hypotheticals.

Tafkal

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 07:16:23 PM »
I have no idea whether this is correct, but I wonder whether it isn't "were" as such but rather "was" with the s left off.

spin52

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 07:36:08 PM »
I don't think so. It's a definite 'werrre'.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Tafkal

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 07:45:05 PM »
I don't think so. It's a definite 'werrre'.

Ah, I suppose that would be clearer in that part of the country, where they have a rhotic pronunciation. Up north it isn't so clear.

munboy

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 01:12:46 AM »
North of England

Being a dumb American, I'm curious about this. You're in Scotland, which is north of England...but, I also know that the Irish refer to Northern Ireland as North of Ireland...so, what is North of England if not Scotland?  :hehe

EDIT: Oh wait...do you mean the north part of England? Again...sorry, dumb American  :icon_rofl:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:15:56 AM by munboy »

cecilia_writer

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 01:32:23 AM »
North of England

Being a dumb American, I'm curious about this. You're in Scotland, which is north of England...but, I also know that the Irish refer to Northern Ireland as North of Ireland...so, what is North of England if not Scotland?  :hehe

EDIT: Oh wait...do you mean the north part of England? Again...sorry, dumb American  :icon_rofl:
Yes - for a relatively small country there are quite a lot of regional variations, some rather subtle.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

The following users thanked this post: munboy

Kathy Dee

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 05:05:02 AM »
A lovely thread and the question has been answered by a lot of Brits above. But I just wanted to say to the OP that those two films are absolute classics and Brassed Off is one of my personal favourites.

AYE, IT WERE REET GUD!
"The saddest thing in life is people with sight but without vision." - Helen Keller

Harry J Langley

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 09:24:25 PM »
Britain is big on its regional nuances and even then it gets even messier within regions....Yorkshire for example (where I live but don't originate from) have all sorts of different phrases and variations on their accents in specific towns - some of which are no more than 10 miles apart!   

Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • Just4kix Books
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2019, 09:23:14 PM »
A lovely thread and the question has been answered by a lot of Brits above. But I just wanted to say to the OP that those two films are absolute classics and Brassed Off is one of my personal favourites.

AYE, IT WERE REET GUD!

Aye. It were grand.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website