Author Topic: Newbie KDP questions - Did I just screw up?  (Read 2464 times)

ErikT

• Blurb unlocked
Newbie KDP questions - Did I just screw up?
« on: October 25, 2018, 05:50:03 AM »
First-time author self-publishing on KDP. And possibly screwing that up...

My book is not totally finalized. I'll probably do one more final edit pass and the print version doesn't have the header it needs with page numbers and chapter headings yet.

I wanted to get the pre-order page working on Amazon, so I just submitted both eBook and Paperback versions to KDP. Based on the statement "You have until Nov. 12th to upload the FINAL version of your manuscript" (ahead of my Nov. 16 launch date), I assumed that meant I could go ahead and publish and I would still be able to come back and update the final version of the MS later.

I also haven't finalized my decision on whether to enroll the eBook in KDP Select or not, and I assume that too was something I would be able to change right up to the day before my release date.

But I just submitted and now the buttons to update the settings and/or reload the manuscript are greyed out! Did I screw up? Will I have the chance to update my final versions before publishing date?

If not, who do I contact to abort what I started? And is there a way to get a live sales page for pre-order before uploading the FINAL version of the MS?

Thanks in advance,
Erik

Rickie Blair

Re: Newbie KDP questions - Did I just screw up?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 06:02:39 AM »
Your ebook should be fine. After you upload a file, you can't make changes until KDP approves the file, which usually only takes a few hours but could be longer. That's why everything's grayed out. And you can enrol in Select at any time (you can do it after the book's approved).

But if your paperback lacks page numbers or headers, though, it might not be approved by KDP (which won't affect the ebook). I don't know for certain, because I've never uploaded a paperback before it was ready. But even then, you'll just have to upload the corrected version.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 06:06:32 AM by Rickie Blair »

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, ErikT

NathanBurrows

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 06:10:04 AM »
You don’t need to worry mate - like Rickie says, just wait until they’re approved and then you’ll be able to edit the source files.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5, ErikT

ErikT

• Blurb unlocked
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 06:18:01 AM »
Phew! THanks guys!

NathanBurrows

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 05:47:53 PM »
If you’re planning on releasing the paperback version first (so that readers can leave reviews), don’t forget that people can read the first 10% through ‘Look Inside’ - you might want to make sure that the print version is accurate by then!

ErikT

• Blurb unlocked
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 09:29:27 PM »
I think something is still very wrong. The eBook is in "Pre-order publishing" state, but the paperback says "Publishing".

I just went and looked at the form for publishing a paperback (by clicking to publish another one), and realized the question about now vs. pre-order only isn't even on the form.

Looks to me like "Pre-order" status is only available for eBooks, not paperback.

I can't figure out how to even contact them. The "Contact Us" page just goes to a help page that isn't helpful.

I think they are in the process of actually PUBLISHING the paperback with no page numbers (and a month before I want to publish it). Can anyone tell me how to STOP this? Who do I contact and how do I cantact them to cancel the publishing of the paperback.

I think I assumed that the paperback would use the same publish date as the pre-order for the eBook, but I now realize that (so far as I can tell), once you say "Publish" for a paperback, it actually publishes it. I can't have that - need to stop it. Can someone please tell me how to contact them to abort this?

Thanks,
Erik

Vinjii

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 09:48:04 PM »
Try and call Author Central, in your Author Central account, the number should be available on the contact us page, and then say you need to speak to KDP support.

Alternatively fill out the contact form and explain your situation and tell them to phone you.

I couldn't find a phone number for KDP.

Maybe someone else knows more.

The following users thanked this post: ErikT

Rickie Blair

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 11:02:12 PM »
Go to your KDP Dashboard page; at the very bottom there's a link to "contact us."
Click on "Book Details" on the left, then click on "Check Publishing Status." A form should come up with the option for a call back (during business hours).

Failing that, wait until the book is actually published, and then go into details and select "Unpublish Print Book."

Don't panic. The likelihood of someone actually purchasing your paperback before you can "unpublish" it is practically nil.

Good luck!

ErikT

• Blurb unlocked
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 11:12:48 PM »
Thanks Rickie!

I was not able to find any callback option, but I was able to send them a note asking them to cancel publishing of the paperback.

Am I correct to interpret all of this to mean that self-published paperbacks cannot be set up for pre-order with a later release date? This seems odd because trade published books are set up that way all the time.

Thanks again!
Erik

Rickie Blair

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 11:23:48 PM »
Am I correct to interpret all of this to mean that self-published paperbacks cannot be set up for pre-order with a later release date?

This is from KDP Publishing on their details page about ebook pre-orders:

"We don't currently offer pre-orders for paperbacks."
https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201499380

Maybe they will in future. But for now, you're correct.

jljarvis

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 09:21:01 AM »
You can unpublish the print version as as soon as it's approved and not grayed out. (Watch your bookshelf. You'll also get an email notification when it's live.) Go into your Bookshelf and click the three dots next to the "Promote and Advertise" button. Second choice from the bottom is "Unpublish print book." Later on, when you're ready, you can republish it. (All the metadata will still be there, so it'll just be a matter of clicking a button.)