Author Topic: [NaNoWriMo] Go ... And Stop.  (Read 17649 times)

LilyBLily

Re: [NaNoWriMo] Go ...
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »
I'm writing a romance, so when in doubt, I throw in a smooching scene.

Way behind at the moment because of a rotten cold that dragged on for the first two weeks of the month, but will catch up now in the home stretch.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2018, 11:00:02 AM »
One more short scene to go! Note the characteristic acceleration at the end. 5,391 words today, a new record for me.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

cecilia_writer

« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »
That's a great-looking graph, Al. I often find myself writing much faster towards the end too.
I was so pleased to have got to 50,000 words at all - it unexpectedly happened on Monday - that I validated it immediately although I haven't finished the story yet. I paused to work out how many more chapters I would need, and will resume writing later today. It will come out at about 60,000 as it usually does, but probably not by the 30th.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

fleurina

• Short Story unlocked
  • Romantic Comedy/Suspense & Self-Help
    • Janet Butler Male
« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2018, 09:51:20 PM »
Wow, you're all doing so well.  It's a lot to do in a month. I did a private NaNoWriMo, as I had too many other commitments in the second half of the month to reach the required amount of words... My self-imposed task was to complete and publish a novella by mid-month - the result was The Chrismas Castle Ghost, begun on 1st November and released on 14th November.  It's not a pace I could keep up regularly - but I now know a doable amount of edited words for me, without tearing out my already thin hair, is 20K per month.
At the moment I'm taking a writing break but will start again on Monday 3rd December.
Keep up the fantastic work; I'm cheering you all on.

LilyBLily

« Reply #104 on: November 29, 2018, 12:32:38 AM »
I don't think 50k in one month of the year is a stretch, and I've even done it two or three times in a year, but spaced apart, and not every year. I can't do the crazy treadmill of full-time writing others do. I don't even want to.

I've only got 10k left on this year's NaNo and see no big issue with getting to 50k in the next three days now that I've recovered from my horrid cold. But then December will be revision time, not writing another new novel. I've got a novella to finish and I should in theory write another 50k novel in February or March to finish this series, really, I mean it, I'm done. But those are not my most productive months. Winter, ugh. For now, it's great to be as far along as I am on this story. We'll see what December brings.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2018, 10:48:52 AM »
I finished it today. 63K words.

At the start, I was saying "This is my last book!" but it was more fun at the end, so I'm already getting ideas for the next.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »
I wasn't talking about cheating. I was wondering what the point of sending your first-draft manuscript in to cyberspace when there's no real "verification" going on.

I think there's a way of verifying with the whole thing replaced by xxx or something (there may be instructions somewhere on the website) but personally I can't be bothered doing that. Probably too tired by verification time.

I did something like that. It only took a few minutes, and my 63K words looked like this:

On Dxc 3, 201x, Horxcx Sxully xrxivxd xt Gooxlovx xnd Shxkxwixh xn xttitudxx My dxughtxr, intxrning with mx whixx onxx brxxk xrom lxw school, showxd him into my officx.xWith xll hxr fingxrs xxtxndxd, shx touchxd xxxx middlx onx to hxr chin, xxxxn turnxdxhxr hxxd towxrx mx: xmxricxn xignxLxnguxgx for “good luck.”

Angstriddengoddess

« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2018, 01:12:06 PM »
I don't think 50k in one month of the year is a stretch, and I've even done it two or three times in a year, but spaced apart, and not every year.

I think it’s a mental stretch the first time, and Nano is worth its weight in angst if it helps people realize that yes, they CAN write that much in a month.

I was all set to write a particular story but promptly on Nov 1st I got hit with an Idea :dizzy. I have to say that when you’re trapped in a car for 80 minutes a day, dictating your story produces an aMAZing amount of word per day. I hit 55k in a couple weeks.

One or two of them might even end up in the final version.

Even if they don’t, I know now I really can write that much. Maybe not every month, but it is possible.
If you're not part of the solution,
you're part of the precipitate.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2018, 03:43:44 PM »
I have to say that when you’re trapped in a car for 80 minutes a day, dictating your story produces an aMAZing amount of word per day. I hit 55k in a couple weeks.

I had thought about that technique when I was still working, but then my dictations would have been filled with tons of very colorful language. I wouldn't have been able to use much of anything.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Keith Ward

« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »
I'm at 45,000 with two days to go. My biggest problem is time, but I'm too dumb to quit so I may as well finish  Grin

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2018, 04:05:39 PM »
Just wanted to pop in and say "good luck" to everyone pushing towards the finish line.   :littleclap
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Angstriddengoddess

« Reply #111 on: November 29, 2018, 04:14:56 PM »
I have to say that when you’re trapped in a car for 80 minutes a day, dictating your story produces an aMAZing amount of word per day. I hit 55k in a couple weeks.

I had thought about that technique when I was still working, but then my dictations would have been filled with tons of very colorful language. I wouldn't have been able to use much of anything.

It’s true that at one point the hero says, “That was a red light. Are you blind?” in the middle of a tender romantic scene. There is editing in my future. :tap
If you're not part of the solution,
you're part of the precipitate.

Rick Partlow

« Reply #112 on: November 29, 2018, 10:07:10 PM »
I am at 62,000 words.  Should hit 66,000 by close of business tomorrow, which will finish out NaNoWriMo, though not the book I'm writing, which looks to be at least a 95K job.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #113 on: November 30, 2018, 06:57:21 AM »

It was a dark and get the F&*# out of my lane, you A$*^@*& stormy nightl

Keith Ward

« Reply #114 on: December 01, 2018, 01:52:52 PM »
I crossed the finish line with three and a half hours left in the month.
Congratulations to everyone who participated.

LilyBLily

« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »
Congratulations to all. I got there around lunchtime.

elleoco

« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2018, 04:51:21 PM »
Congratulations to all who made it. I promised to report here on success or failure, and have to say it was a fail for me. However, on the bright side, I managed 28,879 (Scrivener counter), which is more than I've managed in a month for several years.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #117 on: December 01, 2018, 06:14:21 PM »
Well, I only managed 68,266, which leaves me short of my 70K goal. But, I have one last chapter to write and I'll do that tomorrow and I see it being about 2500-3000 words, so it will take me 31 days to get there.

Oh well, there's always Camp NaNoWriMo in April.   :icon_cool:
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

VanessaC

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2018, 09:55:27 PM »
Contrats to everyone who "won" this year, and everyone who maybe didn't technically "win", but still got plenty of words down.

:banana:   :dance:   :banana:

Genre: Fantasy

Gerri Attrick

Re: [NaNoWriMo] Go ... And Stop.
« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2018, 03:32:44 AM »
Well done to everyone who took part - whether you “won” or not.

I was hit by a bad attack of the November blues and barely wrote at all, so I’m not sorry that I opted out this year.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2018, 02:02:46 AM »
Well done to everyone who took part this year.

Next year I plan to sign up.

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

ragdoll

« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2018, 09:02:05 AM »
Congrats to everyone who made their goals :D I fell way short but I should be wrapping the book I'm working on this week.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2018, 01:40:52 PM »
Well done to everyone who took part - whether you “won” or not.

Yep.  This.

Way to go, y'all.   :cheers

Rick Partlow

« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2018, 12:44:59 AM »
Final number was 66,121.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2018, 10:42:38 AM »

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2018, 06:59:04 AM »
... it recommends trying to write a better first draft, something that I've been considering.

This time I didn't try to "just get the first draft down." That is, even from the start, I tried to make this a little better. For example, I took the time to think of better similes (e.g. Giving him caffeine would be like administering cocaine to a hummingbird).

I concluded that that's a good idea. My progress was slower, but the draft is better.

Feliz

• Flash Fiction unlocked
  • I write YA and NA fiction with asexual themes.
    • Website
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2018, 10:02:53 AM »
Oh, I just noticed this thread. Congrats to everyone here, winner or not. I won at 51.5K words, but it was a book of smaller stories put together after I'd failed to write a full novel. I'd won only one other time in 2015 at 52.5K for a full novel, and it's just brutal each time. My longest of the multiple stories this year is almost 25K words, so I have a promising novella to work with, at the very least. I'm not sure if I'll edit it into a full novel; we'll see. NaNo was fun, though. It definitely kept me writing.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2018, 03:08:23 AM »
I did my 50,000 words, then went back to start rewriting it. Been distracted by Christmas for the last week or so, though.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2018, 03:12:35 AM »
I've added another 11,000 or so words and reached the end of the story. Just editing now as I have caught some seasonal virus and had a few days off from my day job.
Unusually for me, there weren't any major continuity issues or plot holes in the first draft. I must have been concentrating really hard!
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery