Author Topic: Who is the author - the sensitivity reader?  (Read 1243 times)

Hopscotch

Who is the author - the sensitivity reader?
« on: June 13, 2023, 05:00:23 AM »
21st-century editors should keep their hands off of 20th-century books
Washington Post   June 12, 2023

“...it’s a threat to free expression, to historical honesty and, indeed, to readers themselves for contemporary editors to comb through works of fiction written at different moments and rewrite them for today’s mind-set, particularly with little explanation of process or limiting principles. The trend raises uncomfortable questions about authorship and authenticity, and it ignores the reality that texts are more than consumer goods or sources of entertainment in the present. They are also cultural artifacts that attest to the moment in which they were written — the good and the bad....Who, in the end, is the author, [the writer] or the sensitivity reader?...”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/06/12/books-editing-retouching-free-expression/
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

APP

Re: Who is the author - the sensitivity reader?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 10:27:40 AM »
Agreed!

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 12:29:10 PM »
Yeah, that's crazy. It's Bowdlerizing of a different sort.

Let's turn all of Shakespeare's tragedies into happy endings with unicorns and rainbows while we're at it.   

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 03:33:28 PM »
Meet the new Puritanism, same as the old Puritanism but without the God facade.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post, Wonder

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 12:02:46 AM »
During the Restoration, there was a tendency to rewrite Shakespeare plays to have happy endings or for other reasons.

It's normal for cultures to adapt materials to suit themselves. I don't really a problem with that. But it's one thing to create an adaptation. It's quite another to suppress the original.

When I was an English teacher, I used to teach Huck Finn to juniors. As you may know, one of the big objections to that book is the use of the N word. I actually wouldn't have minded the substitution of a different term for high school use. I have been unhappy, however, with later attempts to ban the book. They're rooted primarily in a misunderstanding of what Twain was trying to do.

Twain was writing in 1884 for an audience that wasn't especially racially enlightened--to put it diplomatically. His own sensitivity to racial issues was, by his own admission, a work in progress. He grew up in pre-Civil War Missouri, and there is a large autobiographical element in books like Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. In later life, Twain admitted to being uncomfortable when white people waited on him. He had other issues adjusting to new realities as well. But he recognized his reactions for the shortcomings they were and worked to change them.

What's the best way to get a bigot to realize the error of his ways? The stealth approach--you sneak the message in, rather than making it too obvious at first. That's exactly what Twain does in HF. Jim, Huck's slave friend, starts out as a figure of fun who is often the butt of the joke. Black characters would have often been portrayed this way at the time. When Huck, who has run away from his abusive father, encounters Jim again and realizes Jim is now runaway slave, he wants Jim to turn himself in. Much later in the book, when Huck has had time to realize the truth of Jim's situation and to appreciate their common humanity, he tells himself that he's going to help Jim escape instead of turning him in. He's been taught that helping an escaped slave means going to hell, and he says if that's what has to happen, he'll go to hell to help Jim.

As for Jim, he evolves from the butt of the joke to a father figure for Huck, far superior to his white biological father. In fact, Jim puts his own life at risk to save Tom Sawyer after Tom has been shot. Morally, he ends up being the best person in the whole book.

How many bigots Twain actually converted might not be possible to determine, but he does all he can to shift our sympathies toward Jim and away from the society that is ready to condemn him. Banning the book deprives students of the opportunity to see how prejudices are sometimes overcome in the real world. It also cuts them off from Twain's real-life attempt to redeem himself.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, LilyBLily

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 01:48:21 AM »
That's one of my concerns, too.  What was actually progressive in its day, is tossed aside as "unenlightened" in 2023.  Without those sometimes subtle changes, would we be where we are today? 

The fact that some well-known movies contain an apology for some of their content ignores how much they pushed the envelope in their own time.  It's not only unfair to judge them by our standards today...it also dismisses the messages they were sending to society in their time.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: cecilia_writer

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 03:45:43 AM »
Yes, earlier figures should be judged by the standards of their own time, not by ours. It's also true that, even if they would be out of place today, they helped us get where we are.

Also, we don't have to agree with literature in order to appreciate its value. It's important to understand not only where we are but how we got here.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 04:37:32 AM »
Several years ago, CBS/Paramount or whoever owned Star Trek spent quite a lot of time and money to clean up the original series episodes so they would look good on modern high-definition television screens.  For the most part, they were pretty faithful to the original but they also "fixed" production errors, continuity issues regarding stuff like the appearance of phasers and photon torpedoes and went really hi-def on some of the planets.  And those changes big me because, even though consistency is nice, you're not really watching the original episodes anymore.

So, even changes like that are bothersome, in my opinion.  I mean, sometimes in 3D, they redo effects from older movies and TV shows but, in a lot of those cases, they are using the same original models and files, but they are just re-rendering them using modern computers that can render higher resolutions in a more reasonable timeframe.  There, at least, you're seeing essentially the same thing only rendered for newer, high resolution displays.  So, that's easier to accept because it's effectively upscaling rather than recreating.  It would be akin to going back in time and giving yourself a modern 8k digital camera to film your grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary in 1985.  Same event, same people, same everything just in high resolution.

But, if you instead take the old footage and upscale it to 4k or whatever and then decide the anniversary cake doesn't look right so you have a bakery bake you a new one, then you film it and digitize it and insert it into the old footage so the cake looks better on the modern TV screen, well, that's just weird and not quite right.

It's like when they re-did E.T. and the government agents went from having guns in their hands in the original to radios in the do-over.  Or Greedo shooting first and Han unnaturally tilting his head out of the way of the shot.

Often, it's best to just leave stuff alone.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Hopscotch

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2023, 06:09:02 AM »
Yes, earlier figures should be judged by the standards of their own time, not by ours.

Who judges us in 50 years and what will they think, I wonder?
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 06:26:18 AM »
I guarantee that they will find fault with many things.

I remember reading an afterword to a fantasy novel that said something like, "Anybody who lived more than a hundred years ago would be a monster to us now." That's not completely true, but there is a lot of truth to it. Attitudes change, partly because circumstances do, and sometimes, whole new issues arise.

Only people who can see the world from different perspectives can really appreciate why earlier attitudes may be different from their attitudes, and these days, that's a rare gift. People don't have as much sense of the historical evolution of human society as they should. So they expect people from the past to be like them and are invariably disappointed--or else they live in a fantasy world in which historical people are just like us. That approach creates problems of its own.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 04:26:20 AM »
Many people have very little idea of history in general, and that's a very dangerous thing.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, spin52, RiverRun

seppy123

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 05:42:00 AM »
Yeah, that's crazy. It's Bowdlerizing of a different sort.

Let's turn all of Shakespeare's tragedies into happy endings with unicorns and rainbows while we're at it.
You know, I can honestly say I've never worried about the sensitivity of the reader when I write other than to be aware there are beats in a romance I have to hit. I'm not playing that game. You can't win anyway. There's no pleasing everyone. I have my own writer's voice and my own style. I keep my mind on my story and just do that.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023, 03:11:20 PM »
You know, I can honestly say I've never worried about the sensitivity of the reader when I write other than to be aware there are beats in a romance I have to hit. I'm not playing that game. You can't win anyway. There's no pleasing everyone. I have my own writer's voice and my own style. I keep my mind on my story and just do that.

I'm the same.

I'm not doing woke to be woke. If the violence is there, so be it. If the sex gets a bit racier, so be it.

The story is the story.

I get a few 1 and 2 star ratings on every book, and there seems to be no way of pleasing those people, so I don't even try.

Even if you do try, all you do is piss off someone else on the other end of the spectrum.

There's no point.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

PJ Post

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2023, 10:24:56 PM »
The best writing advice I ever heard was - write for the fans you want.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2023, 12:30:28 AM »
I write what I like and find readers who also enjoy it. That way we're all happy!

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

seppy123

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2023, 01:11:22 AM »

I'm the same.

I'm not doing woke to be woke. If the violence is there, so be it. If the sex gets a bit racier, so be it.

The story is the story.

I get a few 1 and 2 star ratings on every book, and there seems to be no way of pleasing those people, so I don't even try.

Even if you do try, all you do is piss off someone else on the other end of the spectrum.

There's no point.
Yeah, I never go out of my way to be offensive, but there are lots of other books out there someone can read if they don't like mine. So far, I've never had anyone complain. I do think if you worry too much about it you lose what you love about writing in the first place, which is telling the story in your head. It's not yours if you let people dictate how it should be.

LilyBLily

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2023, 03:08:36 AM »
I do go out of my way to choose words that aren't offensive to my audience, but not the topics themselves. This year I've been writing two books that raise some very hot topics and seem to go the other direction from my personal opinions. But in reality, they don't. It's all in the angle by which the story is told.

I'm never going to be able to keep up with what is most correct this week about various issues, and I don't think it matters. As an example, I wrote a book about a character maimed in the Iraq War. Did I call him "differently abled" or "handicapped" or whatever? No. I got into his head and let him use the bitter words that people really use talking about what has devastated them: "I'm a cripple now." And so on.

I try to eliminate phrases or idioms that were current and acceptable in my youth but today aren't. It doesn't cost me anything. On the plus side, it keeps me from sounding like an old fogy.

The following users thanked this post: spin52

Hopscotch

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2023, 05:26:55 AM »
I never go out of my way to be offensive, but there are lots of other books out there someone can read if they don't like mine.

Exactly.  I used to think (based on bitter experience) that tradpub editors are beasts determined to gut a good book.  But now I see they merely are looking out for the publisher's bottom line w/maybe a dash of their own prejudice and lunacy.  But tradpub hiring "sensitivity readers" whose sole task is to savage your writing?  :doh: Got to drive more into the Elysian Fields of indiepub.
. .

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2023, 06:25:01 AM »
There's a saying that's often (rightly or wrongly?) attributed to Ben Franklin and that is something like: If printers were to avoid printing anything lest they were sure it would cause no offense, there would be very little printed.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2023, 06:32:48 AM »
But tradpub hiring "sensitivity readers" whose sole task is to savage your writing?  :doh: Got to drive more into the Elysian Fields of indiepub.

Indies do it too.  I recall discussions over hiring sensitivity readers over at The Place That Shall Not Be Named.

Hopscotch

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2023, 12:41:07 PM »
Indies do it too.  I recall discussions over hiring sensitivity readers over at The Place That Shall Not Be Named.

Hmm, suggests there must be $$$ in this sensitivity reader gig...
. .

seppy123

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2023, 12:42:53 PM »
I never go out of my way to be offensive, but there are lots of other books out there someone can read if they don't like mine.

Exactly.  I used to think (based on bitter experience) that tradpub editors are beasts determined to gut a good book.  But now I see they merely are looking out for the publisher's bottom line w/maybe a dash of their own prejudice and lunacy.  But tradpub hiring "sensitivity readers" whose sole task is to savage your writing?  :doh: Got to drive more into the Elysian Fields of indiepub.
I've been publishing on Amazon since 2011 and for all the problems I've had with them over the years, I'm very grateful for the opportunity to run my own business. I never got rich and famous, but I pay my rent and keep my lights on with it and that's all I ever wanted. I have complete control over my stories and I don't have to work at Walmart. Life could be worse. I hire beta readers and if they have legit criticisms I take those under consideration, but the final choice is mine. I never hated trad publishers, though. Thousands of people write books and their budget only allows them to publish like five, so I never took my rejections as an insult. I can't imagine going back to waiting six months to find out if mine is the story they're going to take on, though. That's like hoping you win the lottery.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2023, 11:56:54 PM »
Yes, there are many things to be said for running your own business. There is also something to be said for not being famous. The famous people are much more likely to be targeted by ideological mobs of one persuasion or another. Even indie authors that run very profitable businesses are seldom, if ever, reported as targets.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, cecilia_writer

LilyBLily

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2023, 07:03:43 AM »
Flying under the radar is fine with me. I would not want my comfortable life cratered by the wrong tweet at the wrong time, defending something stupid. Or something smart. I feel sorry for big name authors whose personal beliefs get pilloried. Mine might be just as stupid or backward but the world pays no attention--and that's a relief.

The irony is that these big name authors often have a burnished public image. Yet they still screw up and get entangled in things that really have nothing to do with what they write or have written. Having the attention of many people is a double-edged sword.

seppy123

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2023, 11:01:53 AM »
Flying under the radar is fine with me. I would not want my comfortable life cratered by the wrong tweet at the wrong time, defending something stupid. Or something smart. I feel sorry for big name authors whose personal beliefs get pilloried. Mine might be just as stupid or backward but the world pays no attention--and that's a relief.

The irony is that these big name authors often have a burnished public image. Yet they still screw up and get entangled in things that really have nothing to do with what they write or have written. Having the attention of many people is a double-edged sword.
Yeah, I put my book cover as my photo on my Author page. I want zero recognition. I've always kept to a small circle of friends and been a bit reclusive aside from them. I think if I were a huge selling author and someone leaked my real name I'd have a breakdown. As for Twitter, I don't even have an account. I never have. I'm a bad promoter. I write in two mainstream categories and one underserved niche and cross promote. Other than that, I create universes so if they read one they might like the other. That's it. Probably why I don't make 50k a month, but honestly, I've never gotten much more back than I spent on ads, so I just don't bother other than an occasional free promo. The only thing that has ever worked for me is publish a lot and I'm only trying to pay rent, so that's doable.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2023, 11:45:59 PM »

Yeah, I put my book cover as my photo on my Author page. I want zero recognition. I've always kept to a small circle of friends and been a bit reclusive aside from them. I think if I were a huge selling author and someone leaked my real name I'd have a breakdown. As for Twitter, I don't even have an account. I never have. I'm a bad promoter. I write in two mainstream categories and one underserved niche and cross promote. Other than that, I create universes so if they read one they might like the other. That's it. Probably why I don't make 50k a month, but honestly, I've never gotten much more back than I spent on ads, so I just don't bother other than an occasional free promo. The only thing that has ever worked for me is publish a lot and I'm only trying to pay rent, so that's doable.

If you're managing to pay the rent without doing much promotion, that's an amazing achievement! Congratulations!

I'm not really good at self-promotion, either. Publishing under my own name does help make the occasional sale. (Having taught for 36 years, I have a lot of former students floating around, some of whom will buy one of my books if they stumble upon them. One of my old high school friends found me on FB and has already bought eleven books of mine.) But I never talk to people (like neighbors) about my books unless they ask.

I subscribe to the school of thought that the books should stand on their own. I suppose if I had a fascinating life, I might feel differently. In that case, I would use my own identity more as part of my branding. As it is, I try to keep the focus on the books rather than on me. I do sometimes bring up my background when blogging, but only when it is relevant.

seppy123

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2023, 12:57:35 AM »

If you're managing to pay the rent without doing much promotion, that's an amazing achievement! Congratulations!

I'm not really good at self-promotion, either. Publishing under my own name does help make the occasional sale. (Having taught for 36 years, I have a lot of former students floating around, some of whom will buy one of my books if they stumble upon them. One of my old high school friends found me on FB and has already bought eleven books of mine.) But I never talk to people (like neighbors) about my books unless they ask.

I subscribe to the school of thought that the books should stand on their own. I suppose if I had a fascinating life, I might feel differently. In that case, I would use my own identity more as part of my branding. As it is, I try to keep the focus on the books rather than on me. I do sometimes bring up my background when blogging, but only when it is relevant.
Thanks. I will say there is something to be said for writing in an underserved niche. Occasionally the content mills will start to flood it, but they move on to more popular ones where they think they can make more. Yet, there are readers for that niche. I was banging my head against the wall not being able to compete in the more mainstream genres. A friend of mine suggested that if you can get a small slice of Amazon's pie, it's a really big pie, so you'd pay your bills with it. It worked, so I'm staying with that. My mainstream stuff doesn't make as much because the visibility doesn't stick as long. That's why I rarely give out advice to new writers. If they're looking to make big money anything I tell them would probably hold them back. But rent is totally doable. I really believe anyone can get that far, because I am no genius.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2023, 09:30:09 AM »
There's money in being a sensitivity reader, and in being a beta reader. I use neither. I've been studying and writing long enough, if I can't get it now, nothing is going to help. And I have a brain, and eyes, and ears, and a heart. I have sense enough to know whether what I write is going to come off the way it's meant, and I have sense enough to research things I don't know.

I grew up in the sixties and seventies. I've seen things, good and bad, and I've seen things change. Hard to keep up sometimes, but we must. :D

People are getting afraid of just being people. In being fellow travelers on the road of life. Many can't seem to accept that they might be wrong in the way they treat others, in how they're passing laws to make others less. Sooner or later, it will turn against them.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.