Author Topic: PSA: Goodreads ratings are now displayed on Amazon product page  (Read 1109 times)

Anarchist

PSA: Goodreads ratings are now displayed on Amazon product page
« on: November 02, 2022, 02:47:29 AM »
Examples:

Could be time to dust off your Goodreads-focused marketing (asking subs to leave reviews, etc.).

At one time this was a good guide on Goodreads.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 02:49:56 AM by Anarchist »
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: PSA: Goodreads ratings are now displayed on Amazon product page
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 02:57:20 AM »
That's going to be confusing for people.

The Goodreads number system has a completely different meaning to Amazon's.

It's going to make most books look worse than they are.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 03:14:04 AM »
Thanks for the warning! Fortunately I'm not seeing it yet.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

idontknowyet

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 03:29:13 AM »
I've only had it show up on one of my books. The ratings were equal.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 05:29:05 AM »
That's going to be confusing for people.

The Goodreads number system has a completely different meaning to Amazon's.

It's going to make most books look worse than they are.

Agreed. Goodreads ratings are lower than Amazon's in my experience.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 10:08:23 AM »
Yeah, I noticed this earlier today.

Not sure what to think about it yet.  Time will tell, I guess.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 12:08:16 AM »
Found them only on a couple of my books. I guess the issue is that the Goodreads average seems to be the one Amazon is pushing. The star rating usually is visibly higher.

Hopscotch

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 02:16:49 AM »
Adds to the clutter already on the page degrading both the sales pitch and whatever limited value a rating may offer.
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

Hopscotch

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 04:07:27 AM »
So much for struggling to compete for ratings and stars:

Inside the Underground Market for Fake Amazon Reviews
Wired   Nov 2, 2022

“Seedy scam networks are using social media to organize campaigns that influence product ratings. They’re a headache for shoppers—and tough to crack down on.

“...Reviews are important. Sales data is hard to come by, but higher ratings generally lead to higher sales…It’s not only about high ratings but also about visibility. Most folks won’t go beyond a page or two of search results, so if your product isn’t in there, you can forget about making a sale.  ‘A quick search today on any big search engine or many social media sites shows how easy it is to buy reviews and how much more platforms could do to protect consumers and honest businesses from this deceptive practice,’ wrote Samuel Levine, director of the Federal Trade Commission's Bureau of Consumer Protection in a recent blog post.”

https://www.wired.com/story/fake-amazon-reviews-underground-market/
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

Writer

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 05:56:04 AM »
My Goodreads averages are always about half a star lower than on Amazon, because the rating systems are different. For example, Goodreads suggests 3 stars for a positive rating, while Amazon suggests 3 stars for a poor read. So reviewers aren't on the same page about what the stars mean.

The following users thanked this post: maiasepp, alhawke

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 06:32:27 AM »
My Goodreads averages are always about half a star lower than on Amazon, because the rating systems are different. For example, Goodreads suggests 3 stars for a positive rating, while Amazon suggests 3 stars for a poor read. So reviewers aren't on the same page about what the stars mean.
Which is exactly why Amazon shouldn't be displaying both without some explanation of the difference in the meaning of the reviews. Admittedly, it's hard to imagine how that could easily be done or whether most customers would bother to read it.

That said, it's pretty obvious that even Amazon reviewers don't really have common standards. I have five-star reviews that read like four-stars (or vice versa). And some people give one-stars to anything that isn't to their personal taste, regardless of general literary merit. (Personally, I don't give a one-star unless the book is plagiarized, an obvious scam, or written in almost incomprehensible English.) But I guess people's standards will differ no matter what.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

LilyBLily

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2022, 08:08:13 AM »
A person who did massive numbers of reviews for Romantic Times explained that she'd give any romance a 3 if it fulfilled the basic requirements of a romance: there's a love story that ends in an HEA.

That's fine for a contemporary romance, but it's not a strict enough standard for a historical romance. I'm more likely to DNF than to write a 1-star review, but that said, I would have no compunction in writing one. I don't write historicals so I feel free to review the ones I read. I'm the customer, and if I feel betrayed, I want to say so.

Also, there are huge numbers of typos, malapropisms, and peerage title mistakes in some Regencies and that is just infuriating. These authors either are getting inferior copy editors and proofreaders or aren't doing more than a SpellCheck pass, and boy does it show.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2022, 08:38:00 AM »
Maybe they need a multi-level star rating system, like eBay has for auctions.  I think there are four or five options, covering description, shipping speed, communication and so on.  Not perfect, but it gives a better overview than a single star rating.  For books, you could maybe have ratings for story/plot, how well-written, meets genre expectations, etc.  Just something that gives a better overview than stars which are very limiting.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

PJ Post

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2022, 11:07:12 PM »
The data's there, it was only a matter of time before they began to integrate the platforms. I'd wager this is only the beginning.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 11:10:07 PM by PJ Post »

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2022, 03:12:56 AM »
As a customer, I don't have much use for ratings without reviews, particularly for creative products. As I mentioned above, people's standards are so different that a star rating without knowing anything about the rater's taste or criteria is meaningless.

From that standpoint, adding a second set of ratings to the product page, unless the Goodreads reviews themselves also transfer over, is just more clutter on a page that already has more than enough. And to the extent that some of them might be wildly inconsistent, given the different ways each rating is described, makes the addition of Goodreads even less helpful.

A short time ago, Doordash, the restaurant delivery service, starting adding Google restaurant ratings to its own rating system, so that both scores were displayed for each restaurant. That didn't last very long, I suspect because it didn't make a positive difference for customers.

That said, Amazon also owns IMDB, and it already draws on that for movie and TV ratings. Of course, IMDB has a ten-point scale, and Amazon offers no guidance about how to interpret it. On IMDB, it offers only guidance for what a one is (terrible) and what a ten is (excellent), leaving what the other ratings are up in the air, except that they obviously fall between the two extremes. So yes, I suppose they will inevitably make the same use of Goodreads as they do of IMDB.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |