Author Topic: Keywords for categories - how do they work exactly?  (Read 1791 times)

Lysmata Debelius

Keywords for categories - how do they work exactly?
« on: November 02, 2018, 12:05:02 AM »
I've googled this and am finding quite a few articles that clearly contain misinformation so I'm hoping somebody here can help me understand.

I think I understand the basics of what keywords are and how they can help a reader find your book.  But what about those keywords that Amazon uses to put your book into additional categories?

I understand that by using them, you can have your book in more than the two categories you can choose explicitly.

But if you use one of these category keywords - like, for example, "genes", which will get your book into the category

Science Fiction & Fantasy/Science Fiction/Genetic Engineering

Is there any practical difference between using the keyword, and so having the book placed in that category, and choosing the category yourself? Is there any difference from the reader's point of view, in how the book is presented to them while they're searching?

Lysmata Debelius

Re: Keywords for categories - how do they work exactly?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 07:46:52 PM »
I'm surprised no answers? Or is this a dim question?

YouMeWe

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 12:58:54 AM »
Not dim at all.

You've got this, right?

https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201216150

You need to be in the 'over-riding' category for the keywords to get you into the sub cats.

I'd hazard a guess that how the books are presented would depend on how the customer searches. Personally, I prefer keywording into my sub categories, I seem to get more visibility that way with crossover audiences. I hope that makes sense. :n2Str17:

Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 01:19:22 AM »
Personally, I prefer keywording into my sub categories, I seem to get more visibility that way with crossover audiences. I hope that makes sense. :n2Str17:

So do I understand this correctly - you prefer to use keywords to get into those subcategories?

Does that mean that the two categories you get to choose, should ideally be higher level categories e.g. Science Fiction & Fantasy/Science Fiction/ and then put say, "genetic engineering" as a keyword to get into the Science Fiction & Fantasy/Science Fiction/Genetic Engineering category?  Rather than choosing Science Fiction & Fantasy/Science Fiction/Genetic Engineering as a category?

(I can't offhand remember if you can even choose the genetic engineering category but let's say you could?)

YouMeWe

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 01:38:25 AM »
You understand correctly. Yes, if there's a choice, I will use a keyword to get into the category.

I'm in a different genre to you, but the same thing applies.

I write 'mystery, thriller and suspense' which usually crosses genres. On the dashboard, I usually choose two broader 'main categories' and keyword into the smaller sub cats.

I've had more success finding my readers that way.

It's not a once and done event for me either. We have the freedom to change them at will, so I set aside time to revisit my keywords every month.

Don't be afraid to play with them. You can always change them back.

EDITED TO ADD: Don't forget, you can also ask Amazon to add you to other categories. I believe the maximum, including your two dashboard choices, is ten.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:42:52 AM by YouMeWe »
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

The following users thanked this post: Lysmata Debelius, fleurina

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 01:42:05 AM »
If its a genetic engineering story, use that as a major category to make sure you're in it.

Both major categories should be your two best sub-categories. The keywords are to get you into others.

But if you cross genres, 1 of your majors might need to be a lesser sub-category, in order to get eh keywords to activate.

eg. My books are a mix of sci-fi and fantasy elements, the latter being pointed out to me much later. Hence I use Space Opera for sci-fi, and Epic for fantasy, activating both genre keywords, many of which they share.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: fleurina