Author Topic: Instafreebie is rebranding to Prolific Works  (Read 11746 times)

Denise

Instafreebie is rebranding to Prolific Works
« on: September 18, 2018, 06:29:35 AM »
https://support.instafreebie.com/article/229-prolific-works-rebrand-faq-for-authors?

I find "Prolific Works" a little bizarre.

Prolific Works Rebrand FAQ for Authors
Instafreebie is rebranding!

Starting October 1st, this platform will say farewell to the name Instafreebie, and say hello to the name Prolific Works!

The brand shift to Prolific Works represents a big shift for this platform! While we will continue to build upon our foundation of serving readers with easy access to great free content and simple, hassle-free downloads, our vision and goals for this platform have expanded.

We’re letting go of the name Instafreebie and taking on a new name, Prolific Works, that better reflects and aligns with our vision of better serving YOU, our authors, in becoming successful and prolific.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:43:19 PM by DayLight »

Post-Crisis D

Re: Instafreebie is rebranding
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 06:33:39 AM »
Maybe they hired the same branding company that came up with rebranding Tribune Publishing as Tronc.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner, AtoZ, Attention

WasAnn

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 07:14:17 AM »
Wow...I'm shocked. Also, I saw this coming a mile away.

So many authors are put into the position of choosing either IS or BF and often, BF wins simply because of the ease of use, help for their side-loading customers, cool innovative ways to pass out books...etc.

I stayed with IF because they always feature anything I put there, which gets me loads of subs even though I put optional on my opt-ins. Yet, even with that, I've been debating the move.

I'm going to bet they knew they either had to step up their game or slowly lost market share to BF.

Also, I agree...Prolific Works? What a weird name.

Science Fiction is my game.

Shoe

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 10:37:37 AM »
It's a terrible name but it's hardly their worst problem. They're not attracting enough new readers. I'm in eight giveaways this month and have collected 88 new subs. Six months ago I would have had 500 by now.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

WasAnn

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
I think they focused too much on the fact that they've built a brand on attracting freebie hunters. It's become like trying to market to people who will only buy something at the grocery store with a coupon that makes what they buy cost -0.10 at checkout. Basically, that's what's happened.

Personally, I'm not sure if that's true. I think they are freebie seekers, but I think you can get real readers there who simply want to try a new author for free before they buy.

They want to monetize more than they have, and that means competing with BF in ways they don't now. I'm keeping a weather eye on them.

The following users thanked this post: Attention

HSh

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »
What is BF?

Mark Gardner

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »
What is BF?
book funnel - a superior, but paid service.

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 02:36:22 PM »
To be fair, "kindle" is a pretty weird thing to call an ereader device. It sounds almost like it encourages book burning.

Come to think of it, "Amazon"? What kind of name for a store is that?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »

Probably better than Monongahela.   :wink:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Mark Gardner

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 03:40:59 PM »

or Allegheny?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 03:42:02 PM »

or Allegheny?

Three syllables versus four.  Yep, definitely better than Allegheny.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »

or Allegheny?

Chippewa? None still three syllables...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 03:45:39 PM »

or Allegheny?

Sort of a wash, but Amazon has the letter z in it, which is always cool, so that breaks the tie.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 03:47:25 PM »

or Allegheny?

I'm sure there are some other river names around the 'burgh we could try out.

Sort of a wash, but Amazon has the letter z in it, which is always cool, so that breaks the tie.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 03:51:29 PM »

I've got it.

Shenandoah.

Sure, it's got more syllables, but it's also a song and a movie.  That's the clincher.   :icon_mrgreen:

Mark Gardner

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »

I've got it.

Shenandoah.

Sure, it's got more syllables, but it's also a song and a movie.  That's the clincher.   :icon_mrgreen:
winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Denise

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 11:43:04 PM »
I stopped paying for Instafreebie after the GDPR changes. All I have there is a preview that doesn't require emails.

I noticed that they had a lot less group giveaways while Bookfunnel suddenly had a bunch of giveaways, so I think that most people weren't happy that Instafreebie stopped promoting giveaways with mandatory sign-ins.

Anyways, I think not promoting mandatory sign-ups would be reader-focused, right? I mean, what's the advantage for authors?

Now they want to become more author focused :shocked:. OK.

I really wonder what services they can provide to authors and why those services are so complicated that they need a webinar. It sounds like they'll be selling $397 packages, because that's the kind of thing sold in webinars.  :icon_lol:

I'd be happy to be wrong. Authors need good marketing services, and if Prolific Works is to be one of them, awesome.

Simon Haynes

Re: Instafreebie is rebranding to Prolific Works
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 11:52:22 PM »
I posted this response the other day (curse the crash), but I've never enforced mailing list signups on instafreebie.  I've added (goes to check) 800 voluntary sign-ups to my ML since I started using the service around May or June.

I don't know - I just value the voluntary ones a touch higher than people who are forced to give an address. I'd always give a disposable email if I was forced to sign up somewhere anyway, and I never check mail for that one.

In my dash, instafreebie subscribers have a 48% open rate for my newsletters, and a 21% click rate. I don't know how that compares to anyone else. If you're all on similar stats then I'd rethink my attitude towards enforcing signups.

PS I use a homebrew email client for ALL my mail. (yMail2)  It converts HTML to plain text before displaying the email in a preview window, and doesn't load or display any images, or run any scripts, which means I'm completely invisible when it comes to opens. (Clicks are another matter if the URL is crafted to go via mailerlite.)

Shoe

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 02:26:59 AM »

In my dash, instafreebie subscribers have a 48% open rate for my newsletters, and a 21% click rate. I don't know how that compares to anyone else. If you're all on similar stats then I'd rethink my attitude towards enforcing signups.

My IF open/click rates and about half of yours. The bulk of my IF mailing list was built using mandatory opt-ins.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

WasAnn

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 02:42:31 AM »
Max - It used to be tied to Midlist, which they built using Indies to gain subs, then sold to TP as a private TP only list. Angered a lot of folks.

I've been a paying client of IF since I finished being mad at them, which is a long time, and I do opt-in for the same reasons as Simon, so I've been one of the few unaffected by GDPR changes at IF. Also, they feature the heck out of me, so I've gotten thousands of signups from them. So, they absolutely do what they promise, but unfortunately, they need to do more, which BF already does.

Denise

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 02:45:43 AM »
I think some authors like to offer exclusive books for their subscribers, and if they put them on IF for anyone to grab, they're no longer exclusive.

Another problem I see with Instafreebie promoting only non-mandatory sign-ups is that, with time, it will change their userbase. I think previous users knew the deal, and they probably thought twice before downloading a book.

Now, since users who don't want to sign up for newsletters are going to be getting lots of books, this type of user is going to stick around.

Anyways, regardless whether non-mandatory sign-ups are good or bad, useful or not, the truth is that many authors didn't like the IF change, and left the site or went into unpaid plans. Instafreebie must be responding to that by trying to offer new services for authors. Services that require a webinar to be explained.

Max

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2018, 02:47:43 AM »
Thank you, Was Ann! I've used them, but not recently as the subscribers tapered off significantly after the first year or so. It wasn't a bad thing, not by a long shot. Open rates were as expected, but still, a good deal.

JRTomlin

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 05:14:58 AM »
I'm still puzzling over how a 'work' can even be prolific.  :icon_think:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 08:05:46 AM »

I'm thinking "Works" is meant to be both a noun and a verb, as in lots of works and being prolific works.  Still not understanding how that ties to the service but, you know, Tronc.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

Mark Gardner

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:04 AM »

I'm thinking "Works" is meant to be both a noun and a verb, as in lots of works and being prolific works.  Still not understanding how that ties to the service but, you know, Tronc.
I think that Prolific Works is a stupid name... I would eat a a Prolific Woks though. Bring my trusty D20, and start on their menu.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 09:02:17 AM »
I think that Prolific Works is a stupid name... I would eat a a Prolific Woks though. Bring my trusty D20, and start on their menu.

You need to start that restaurant chain.  Panda Express needs the competition.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 09:41:06 AM »

You need to start that restaurant chain.  Panda Express needs the competition.
Panda Express has plenty of competition: Fry's, Kroger's, McDonald's, you know, everyone- even if they don't serve garbage Chinese food.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
Panda Express has plenty of competition: Fry's, Kroger's, McDonald's, you know, everyone- even if they don't serve garbage Chinese food.

We have Twin Dragon.  It may be strictly local.  But it's a buffet and they have all the goodies.  They even have pizza, but no.  Fries too.  I think that's for the kids that don't like the other stuff.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2018, 09:51:13 AM »

We have Twin Dragon.  It may be strictly local.  But it's a buffet and they have all the goodies.  They even have pizza, but no.  Fries too.  I think that's for the kids that don't like the other stuff.

My favorite local Chinese food establishment is called Canton Dragon. Each time we order from there, I roll my D20 to chose my entree. Lady Luck hasn't shown her fickle side yet.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2018, 03:36:53 PM »

My favorite local Chinese food establishment is called Canton Dragon. Each time we order from there, I roll my D20 to chose my entree. Lady Luck hasn't shown her fickle side yet.

Do you take your icosahedron everywhere?

Mark Gardner

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2018, 12:36:08 AM »

Do you take your icosahedron everywhere?

Of course I do! A random one, and a spin-down.

RappaDizzy

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2018, 05:46:42 AM »
I'm wondering if Instafreebie isn't trying to move more in the direction of Bookbub. They've definitely been looking at monetizing the giveaways. Hopefully they come up with something that helps us push more sales.

Denise

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2018, 07:05:15 AM »
I'm wondering if Instafreebie isn't trying to move more in the direction of Bookbub. They've definitely been looking at monetizing the giveaways. Hopefully they come up with something that helps us push more sales.

Paid features could be cool, especially if the monthly plan wer cheaper.

Edit to add: The video of their Webinar is online. I skim watched it. They talk about connecting with fans, sending notification about new books and promos (sounds similar to Bookbub) and crowdfunding. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 07:39:18 AM by Denise »

The following users thanked this post: ashleycapes

RappaDizzy

« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2018, 08:28:14 AM »
I was part of new features they worked on with Kickstarter and running ads on Facebook to drive eyeballs to giveaways so they definitely have some things in the works. They are definitely trying to improve :banana:

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2018, 09:24:59 PM »

Paid features could be cool, especially if the monthly plan wer cheaper.

Edit to add: The video of their Webinar is online. I skim watched it. They talk about connecting with fans, sending notification about new books and promos (sounds similar to Bookbub) and crowdfunding. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That sounds interesting - real shame about the name though, fascinatingly poor I reckon - but hopefully that new stuff works out, thanks for the info :)

Ashley Capes | website

Shoe

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2018, 04:00:45 AM »
Is Instafreebie (or whatever they call themselves) working for anyone right now?  I'm in about eight opt-in giveaways and collecting only three or four subscribers a day. A year ago it would have twenty-five or more.

WasAnn

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 06:14:08 AM »
Mine is working fine, but they did change all their links, so you're going to need to go in every place you've got it linked and change it.

HUGE pain.

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2018, 08:19:42 AM »
Is Instafreebie (or whatever they call themselves) working for anyone right now?  I'm in about eight opt-in giveaways and collecting only three or four subscribers a day. A year ago it would have twenty-five or more.

I got only 79 new unique subscribers last month (who were not already subscribed to my email list), which was pretty low. Then again, I haven't been as active about signing up for giveaways, so that may explain some of it as well.

I'm waiting to see what new changes they bring out. If they prove to be as transformational as their giveaways were, I look forward to getting in on the ground floor.

Shoe

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
I had 165 sign-ups (new emails) in September, 24 so far this month. That's not terrible, but certainly not like it used to be. It could be I've already picked up the bulk of IF's subscribers base that would be interested in my books, and my present low numbers reflect the possibility that IF's not expanding much on the reader side.

To any newbie starting out, I can't recommend IF highly enough. I build my list to over 15,000 in one year.

When you've used them for a long time, you're bound to get diminishing returns.

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2018, 09:17:16 AM »
I had 165 sign-ups (new emails) in September, 24 so far this month. That's not terrible, but certainly not like it used to be. It could be I've already picked up the bulk of IF's subscribers base that would be interested in my books, and my present low numbers reflect the possibility that IF's not expanding much on the reader side.

To any newbie starting out, I can't recommend IF highly enough. I build my list to over 15,000 in one year.

When you've used them for a long time, you're bound to get diminishing returns.

Do you do mandatory opt-ins or optional?

Shoe

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2018, 09:27:52 AM »
I select mandatory whenever possible. Most of my giveaways forbid it.

C. Gockel

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2018, 01:41:20 AM »
TL;DR: I'm switching over to Story Origins now.

I never enforced mandatory opt-ins, so switching to optional opt-ins wasn't something that bothered me. I found that my read-thru was about the same from Instafreebie as from other places.

However, changing the name to "Prolific Works" seems to have really cut Instafreebie's (Oops "Prolific Works") effectiveness. Before, when they would feature one of my titles I would get 1,000 plus downloads and about 500 email addresses. They featured a title for me last month. It is exclusive. I had 530 downloads and only about 79 email addresses.

I think that the name change has just confused readers, and they stopped opening their emails.

Or it could be the push to get everyone to download their app. I don't want more (insert curse) apps on my phone. I just want to email my book to my Kindle or download it for Overdrive. Trying to get the app not to be your default delivery method means waiting either a whole weekend or overnight. (I'm not just a writer, I'm a reader! And I used to really like Instafreebie for picking up books that weren't free anywhere else. And yes I bought sequels. I was frustrated not once, but twice, by somehow winding up with the app as my "preferred" delivery method.)

Anyway, I am going to cancel my subscription at the end of the month.

I was going to have to go through and change the name Instafreebie to Prolific Works on a ton of freaking welcome email sequences (Thanks Instafreebie! It's not that I don't have enough non-writing (insert curse) to do. Wait! I meant "Prolific Works".) Now I'm changing it to Story Origins, and am loading up all my stuff over there.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

The following users thanked this post: Denise

Denise

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2018, 02:19:52 AM »
TL;DR: I'm switching over to Story Origins now.

Or it could be the push to get everyone to download their app. I don't want more (insert curse) apps on my phone. I just want to email my book to my Kindle or download it for Overdrive. Trying to get the app not to be your default delivery method means waiting either a whole weekend or overnight.

That's great feedback! I'll stop participating in PW giveaways. I think I would really piss off my list if I sent them to giveaways that would give them a hassle. Even if I don't pay for PW right now, I always have to promote group giveaways, and they need to be something my subscribers will enjoy.

Pity, though. I swear it's a pity.

Shoe

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2018, 02:27:10 AM »
It was the dumbest rebranding I've ever heard of, and I lived through the "Classic Coke" fiasco.

I had one IF sign-up yesterday from eight different giveaways.

Is Story Origins truly a viable alternative?

C. Gockel

« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2018, 02:43:36 AM »
Is Story Origins truly a viable alternative?

Right now, I don't think it is a replacement for what Instafreebie was. However, it will let me collect email addresses for free and the name isn't confusing for readers. I'm going to use it now for my short stories. I have been giving readers an option to download the short stories free from Instafreebie, or purchase them at their favorite vendor for 99-cents.

For serious email collection I'm going to try Ryan Z and also participate in curated giveaways some of my friends have been hosting.

Shoe

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2018, 12:44:38 PM »
I'm in nine Instafreebie Giveaways at the moment. The total number of new subs since Friday? Zero.

The total for November to date: Eight.

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »
What is "Story Origins"? I tried to Duck Duck Go it but none of the results were useful.

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2018, 01:48:56 PM »
I'm in nine Instafreebie Giveaways at the moment. The total number of new subs since Friday? Zero.

I've had 75, but only a third of them are new subscribers.

Shoe

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2018, 02:11:05 PM »

I've had 75, but only a third of them are new subscribers.

I should have clarified. I've had 42 claims, all but eight already in my database as subscribers.

C. Gockel

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 03:01:30 PM »
What is "Story Origins"? I tried to Duck Duck Go it but none of the results were useful.

It's a newer Instafreebie, that doesn't have the reach yet, but so far it is free. https://storyoriginapp.com/

I had to go through and change all my Instafreebie links to "Prolific Works" so figured I might as well just change them all to StoryOrigins. At least it says "Story" which is bookish in the name. I'm very disappointed in ProlificWorks right now.