Author Topic: Amazon review, this is not good. Customer not happy.  (Read 1239 times)

Marti Talbott

Amazon review, this is not good. Customer not happy.
« on: January 21, 2022, 03:21:38 AM »
In a review I received today on one of my books, the reader said:

"Wow Amazon now the reviews are 20 words long. This is truly getting out of hand. Well I guess this will be my last review."
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

LilyBLily

Re: Amazon review, this is not good. Customer not happy.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 04:49:27 AM »
At least the person can read actual books. These days, that sometimes seems like a miracle.

The reader could have just clicked on a star rating. I hope the rest of the review was positive.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 05:09:50 AM »
At least the person can read actual books. These days, that sometimes seems like a miracle.

The reader could have just clicked on a star rating. I hope the rest of the review was positive.

The rest of the review was positive, and more than 20 words, so I'm not sure what he/she was talking about. Some of my readers are teens, so maybe it's a misunderstanding. Still, we don't need readers being turned off of leaving reviews by Amazon's rules, whatever they are this week.

Writer

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 06:50:25 AM »
Reviewers have been complaining for years that Amazon requires their reviews to be a minimum of twenty words long. That's why you sometimes see reviews saying "Really good book, can't think of anything else to say, but need stupid twenty words, so blah blah blah blah."

And yet, plenty of people choose a star rating and don't leave a review at all, so it all works out.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 08:17:09 AM »
I suspect the minimum number of words is why a lot of people just hit the star rating these days. That and Amazon letting you do that when you finish a book.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 08:36:30 AM »
I suspect the minimum number of words is why a lot of people just hit the star rating these days. That and Amazon letting you do that when you finish a book.

Apparently, on the display page, there is no distinction between ratings and reviews. So, guess it doesn't matter.

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 09:12:39 AM »

Apparently, on the display page, there is no distinction between ratings and reviews. So, guess it doesn't matter.

I think that's a good thing. Encourages them to quickly leave a rating just after they've finished your book. It's going to be honest, which will be helpful to you as an author. As the ratings add up, they're the social proof the book needs, which will also be helpful but in a different way. Once a book has some reviews for every star, it doesn't need more reviews; it needs more ratings. No one actually reads 1,000 reviews, but having 1,000 ratings definitely is social proof that people have been reading your book. Which encourages other people to read your book, hurray!

Marti Talbott

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 09:16:13 AM »

I think that's a good thing. Encourages them to quickly leave a rating just after they've finished your book. It's going to be honest, which will be helpful to you as an author. As the ratings add up, they're the social proof the book needs, which will also be helpful but in a different way. Once a book has some reviews for every star, it doesn't need more reviews; it needs more ratings. No one actually reads 1,000 reviews, but having 1,000 ratings definitely is social proof that people have been reading your book. Which encourages other people to read your book, hurray!
You're right, it is a good thing for authors. I wonder how many readers would rather read a review though.

LilyBLily

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 07:30:28 AM »
What surprises me is how many books have 1-star and 2-star ratings but no reviews for those ratings. I depend on the low-rating reviews to save me from buying every book with a pretty cover.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

Marti Talbott

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 07:36:45 AM »
What surprises me is how many books have 1-star and 2-star ratings but no reviews for those ratings. I depend on the low-rating reviews to save me from buying every book with a pretty cover.

It's really not fair. Low ratings could just be competitive authors, bad writing, or a problem the general public can overlook. Reviews at least tells the reader what's wrong.

It took a long time for Amazon to allow ratings instead of reviews, and now I'm thinking ratings are a mistake.

JRTomlin

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 09:29:24 AM »
If you can't manage even 20 words why bother. I liked this book doesn't tell other readers anything. Just leave a star rating.