Author Topic: Is there an easy to use print cover designer tool?  (Read 1576 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Is there an easy to use print cover designer tool?
« on: May 02, 2020, 08:58:29 PM »
I've been trying to do covers for my book 1 for print.

Amazon's is a nightmare. D2D's new beta isn't much better. Photoshop of the D2D template is beyond me.

I just want to use my existing cover on the front, upload a different image(s) for the back, and be able to do the spine with an added book number readable standing up, as well as title and author readable sideways.

I can do covers up to a point, but doing the print cover is beyond me.

Is there any tool around which can do this?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

j tanner

Re: Is there an easy to use print cover designer tool?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 02:19:24 AM »
I'm not aware of any tool that simplifies from the template because the size needs to be so precise for the number of pages in the finished book. (Based on the final PDF for print.)

But it's not a huge task for someone who knows Photoshop. Just a few minutes. I'm happy to help if you don't find a tool I'm not aware of.

Just hit me up in PM and I'll give you the list of what I need to do it for you.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 02:36:47 AM »
I'm not aware of any tool that simplifies from the template because the size needs to be so precise for the number of pages in the finished book. (Based on the final PDF for print.)

But it's not a huge task for someone who knows Photoshop. Just a few minutes. I'm happy to help if you don't find a tool I'm not aware of.

Just hit me up in PM and I'll give you the list of what I need to do it for you.

Thanks, but 32 novels and 5 shorts to do.  grint

Too much to get someone to do.

Maybe if there isn't a tool, I need a YouTube of how to take the D2D template download, add a background, add in what I need on top of it, and then delete the template, before uploading to Amazon.

I can use photoshop, but when I added a background layer, all I got was the background layer showing. I'm not trained on it. Just picked things up. I need instructions, and shown where the tools are to use.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

j tanner

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 04:52:25 AM »
I can use photoshop, but when I added a background layer, all I got was the background layer showing.

That's normal. In the layer palate you'll need to toggle the eye icon for the layer so you can see layers behind it, like the template. Or lower the opacity of "higher" layers from the slider in the layer palette if you need to see through them but still have an idea.

This is how I do it, mostly. Just line everything up while it's partially transparent and then raise it back up to 100% opaque at the end.

Alternately, drag the guide to the top of the layers, then lower its opacity. Same difference. Then hide it at the end.

Some prefer to set a bunch of  vertical and horizontal Guide lines to match the important template points. You can add  as many as you need from the View menu with the New Guide option. And you can drag them around when using the Move tool rather than trying to perfectly determine the number of inches in the popup. Guidelines offer a snap function which means elements will align perfectly when you get close. It's really handy in some cases, but may not be necessary for something like this where you can eyeball it.