Author Topic: Don't judge your book launch too fast  (Read 1389 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Don't judge your book launch too fast
« on: February 03, 2022, 12:10:24 PM »
Now that my current release is a few weeks in, I'm seeing some interesting stats for the previous one.

Old Magic was a change in genre for me, from Space Opera/Fantasy based, to Contemporary Fantasy in an urban setting. One of my main characters does an extended cameo, so it's firmly in universe.

The launch totally flopped. Definitely the worst launch for a long time.

Several reasons though, including the change in genre, and the cover being wrong as far is being in universe is concerned. It's also a stand alone.

BUT....

Well into the cycle of the next release, the 90 days stats are showing me a different story.

While sales are down, KU full reads are significantly higher, with the money being about normal.

In fact, the only reason why this book is not performing much better than previous ones in money terms is it's a lot shorter than my normal, and only just novel length for the same price as my books averaging 12k longer.

So, far from being a flop, it has in fact performed very well, even though it gained no decent rank.

It is however holding rank quite nicely, when normally it would be sinking rapidly by now. Part of that though is the last release references the main character from Old Magic, 600 odd years in the future, and so some of my normal readers who ignored it have been going back to it.

One of the things I keep telling people on Quora answers is initial sales are not the be all and end all.

It's how the book performs in the long run that counts, and potentially, the long run is now possibly decades if you can keep your momentum going.

My first book, now 7 years old, is still hovering around the 50k mark. My book 2 is still at the top of my all time sales totals list, in spite of my series 3 books which hit #132, #97, and #218 respectively.

It just goes to show that you can't judge a book by it's initial performance.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, djmills, Wonder, angela

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
Re: Don't judge your book launch too fast
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 04:25:14 PM »
I'm also finding myself surprised at some of my recent releases. I had a November release (new pen) that didn't do well on launch, despite my efforts and a big ad spend, yet it is kinda hanging in there now. I had a theory my AMS spend was an investment that's continuing to pay off long-term, but maybe it's just a general algorithm thing.

The following users thanked this post: Paul Gr

JRTomlin

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 04:07:44 AM »
I have always thought that we tend to put too much emphasis on launch. A great launch is ... well ... great, but our novels should (IMO) make more money over time and that does not depend on the launch.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

Eric Thomson

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 05:04:30 AM »
I have always thought that we tend to put too much emphasis on launch. A great launch is ... well ... great, but our novels should (IMO) make more money over time and that does not depend on the launch.
Yep. That's why I've long ago stopped caring how high my new release ranks on zon dot com, which generates only around 40% of my sales revenues. It's the total $$$ over the long run that counts.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 11:18:24 AM »
Yep. That's why I've long ago stopped caring how high my new release ranks on zon dot com, which generates only around 40% of my sales revenues. It's the total $$$ over the long run that counts.

True, but a good launch gets you orange tags.  :icon_mrgreen:

And they can do a lot for how long the initial tail lasts.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

JRTomlin

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2022, 12:51:02 PM »
I do think it's worth working and spending some money to have a good release. I just don't think it's the end-all. I do think it is more important in some genres than others, too.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

idontknowyet

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2022, 02:36:24 PM »
With rank suppression for new releases i wouldn't bother trying to do a big splashy release until that is fixed, if i was so inclined.

Which in general i am not inclined to do a splashy release. My books are written as almost serials which means most of my readers wait until the entire series is finished to come back and read it. I'm better of doing a promo when all or almost all the books are out. That's when i see how my sales will really go.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2022, 02:48:52 PM »
a big splashy release

Moi does not do splashy releases.

Pre-orders, and email list, along with Facebook announcements. That's it.

I screwed up the last one by forgetting to do the email out for nearly 24 hours. So didn't get the borrows on day 1 I normally get.

Why KU doesn't offer pre-orders as well, I don't understand. Lot of KU people must want anticipated new releases to download as soon as they release?

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2022, 03:38:04 PM »
They really should be able to set up ku pre order

LilyBLily

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2022, 11:12:37 PM »
If readers follow you on Amazon, Amazon sends them notification that a new book has released. This I believe is a little different from the old new release email that Amazon would send because they had bought the prior book in the series. But I could be wrong about that.

Amazon sends it even if a reader already has it on pre-order. I've gotten those emails despite having already bought the book in advance and despite it having just been delivered.

alhawke

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2022, 01:46:08 AM »
Can't you set a book on preorder in Amazon "wide" but then launch it with KU (fairly KU ignorant here, I'm just wondering for future reference)?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2022, 01:54:00 AM »
Can't you set a book on preorder in Amazon "wide" but then launch it with KU (fairly KU ignorant here, I'm just wondering for future reference)?

Sale pre-orders get downloaded to the device the moment it syncs after release. And they can pre-order anytime after it's listed.

But KU readers have to go find it after they get told it has released. And they tend to miss it if they don't get the email out, even though they'll want it the moment it releases the same as the sales readers do. Especially if it releases early, which is my normal.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke