Author Topic: What's better? A few stories of the same genre or mixed genres?  (Read 1716 times)

PJ Post

Re: What's better? A few stories of the same genre or mixed genres?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 05:31:30 AM »
Exactly as the title says. I'm thinking of Christmas.

From a brand perspective, the more consistent you are, the more brand loyalty you'll have, which translates to fans. As a rule, business theory preaches consistency, because this approach reinforces your image and value proposition to a narrowly defined audience. This is known as messaging. Mixing up genres confuses your message. A focused message typically gets better results across a product line.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 05:32:59 AM »
Same genre, but do as I say and not as I do.

I was thinking: wouldn't it be fun to do a book in each of many different genres? I said "fun," not "profitable."

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Tonyonline

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 04:52:03 AM »
From a brand perspective, the more consistent you are, the more brand loyalty you'll have, which translates to fans. As a rule, business theory preaches consistency, because this approach reinforces your image and value proposition to a narrowly defined audience. This is known as messaging. Mixing up genres confuses your message. A focused message typically gets better results across a product line.

Well that's me knackered then!
My first, just released, is a horror with some gore, a bit of mystery, some science but has a deeper message about consciousness, oh and has a dimensionless evil entity in it.
My WIP is a mind twist, which has some romance, but is designed to make the reader question reality.
The next is paranormal horror, which I'm about 30,000 words into but I had to leave it for the time being as it's getting quite detailed and heavy, but it has strong female characters and psychological scares.
And the next...well! I think you see my problem!
I like stories that mess with your mind. The genre they are for is not set, they will be what they are when they're finished.

So! Similar to what Al said...The books I'm writing might be fun for me to write but I guess won't be collecting fans and they won't be profitable...
Oh well, I've set the course now, there's no turning back now.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 02:56:33 AM by Tonyonline »

Authoress

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 06:39:14 PM »
For me it has to be mixed genres but the question was 'what's better?' not 'what pays the most?'   grint

I'm hopeless at sticking with one thing for very long, no matter what it is & it seems to be the same with my writing.

I read mixed genres & I assume that most people do, it would soon get tiresome & boring to only read one genre.

Readers might like to have mixed genres from one author if they like the style of writing.

It's a shame there's no way of knowing if any of my readers have bought in more than one genre from me.