Author Topic: How to format a box set?  (Read 963 times)

LilyBLily

How to format a box set?
« on: May 25, 2021, 11:23:17 AM »
I want to create a box set in Calibre. I've never done that before. I have questions.

Can I use the existing epub files for each novel and copy and paste them as an edit into the file for the first book in the series? Would that be the easy way to start?

How do I add the new box set cover to the beginning of the file?

Can I copy and paste each TOC to create a master TOC for the set?

Do I remove the other TOCs? (I assume I do.)

Is there anything else I'd need to do? Code to remove or alter? Code to add?

I'm going to change from multiple copyright pages to one that covers all the contents, and I'm going to remove chapter previews from these books, and stuff like that. Any issues typically involved in doing so?

I can handle basic html via trial and error and run D2D's validator any number of times until I get the code right. I just want to start with the correct elements. This will be an ebook only.

alhawke

Re: How to format a box set?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 12:23:14 AM »
Can you just treat it like a regular ebook file? Just add all the books sequentially and separate out each book with a separate title page (it's cool to add an image of each book here if you can, btw). The cover and copyright page should be an easy swap.

The TOC is probably the biggest challenge here. I've had major headaches with that in the past when playing around with Scrivener with TOC.

Sorry I use Vellum which is just a copy and paste thing, but I tried to help as I just compiled mine. I'd think it should be a similar process.

Good luck!

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 01:25:44 AM »
I've put the boxed set together in MS Word by combining the individual files and using headings for each title, and within them, the chapters so they show up nicely in the ToC. I also placed hyperlinks leading to the beginning of each book on the first page. Then, I let D2D convert it into an epub  grint. Easy peasy.

The following users thanked this post: RiverRun

RPatton

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 02:50:17 AM »
I don't think you can use Calibre that way. It's not an epub creator as much as a converter with bells and whistles. I would maybe try to put in a word doc and then convert that to an epub and see if it works?

The only other suggestion I have is to open the first epub in Sigil, then add the other epubs (I don't know if it will work, never tried it) and then save that epub.