Author Topic: Image Resolution  (Read 737 times)

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Image Resolution
« on: December 31, 2021, 10:21:44 AM »
I have a lot of images in my new book. Inside content, not the cover.

Following the rules, I used PNG files for the images but they look grainy (pixilated) in the previewers.

QQ: Is there a quick answer to getting quality images inside the digital book?

Update: I resorted to using the Kindle Create (KC) App to check the images. After the software updated update, the images look fine in KC.  Also, the KC apps works a lot better now...

SOLVED: I bumped up the resolution to 1200 DPI and reworked all 102 images. They are crisp now, either PNG or JPG, and no, not all 102 images are in the book.   :doh:

R.C.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2022, 02:28:02 AM by R. C. »

Eric Thomson

Re: Image Resolution
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 10:58:41 AM »
Never had issues using 300dpi resolution for both ebooks and print.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 11:19:25 AM »
Kindle and print have different requirements.

For print, you need as high quality as possible.

For kindle as low quality as possible without losing anything.

I found line based maps had to be in high quality BMP or they simply went fuzzy on the device.

But normal photo like images, the jpg can be reduced down in quality dramatically, so the file size is a small as possible, without losing anything on the device.

In Photoshop for example, when saving a jpg, you can reduce the quality slider right down to 2 or 3, and not lose a viable image on a device.

But if you do that for the print version, you very definitively lose viability. (Just proved that with a book I'm working on at the moment, with lots of both maps and photos. I had to redo the print version completely with high res images, just to make sure they printed well enough, as the first proof was quite disappointing.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

Paul Gr

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 03:46:29 AM »
If you don't have Photoshop, Irfanview, a free photo viewer, can do the same thing.