Author Topic: Trying a new idea (New for me, that is)  (Read 1859 times)

Marti Talbott

Trying a new idea (New for me, that is)
« on: December 09, 2021, 04:23:41 AM »
Today I'm going to send chapter 1 and 2 of Gold Digger in an email to my "notify me" mailing list.

Here's the thing. Amazon allows that much and more in the sample. However, they don't like authors giving away whole books unless it's free on their site. I say that because I know of an author who is sending a chapter a week. I'm thinking if I can't sell it after the first two chapters, move on.

Anyway, have you ever tried that and how did it go? I'm thinking of just doing a partial list test to see what happens. If you want me to send you a copy to see what I'm doing, just pm me with your address.

I'm gonna sell this book if it kills me,  :dog1:
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

KSenniaV

Re: Trying a new idea (New for me, that is)
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 12:28:49 PM »

If they're two amazing hooky chapters that end on a cliffhanger, I don't see why it wouldn't work to move readers to buy.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it all turns out. :)

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott

LilyBLily

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 02:55:25 PM »
It's totally worth a try. Go for it. :tup3b

Lynn

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2021, 03:10:53 PM »
Good luck!

Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2021, 10:39:02 PM »
Good luck Marti. Make sure the first thing after the chapter is a link to the Amazon book page. Apologies for stating the obvious if you already thought of that.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 02:54:27 AM »
Funny you should mention that. I always send myself a copy and the links I provided to Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Nook and Kobo didn't go through. Would you mind letting me send you a copy to see if it's just my email? If so, PM me please. So far, no sales on that book, but it's early yet.

Some of you might find this interesting. I created my own mailing list of around 700 and collected them in a excel sheet. There is a way to create emails in Gmail that allow me to make a template and then send it out to multiple readers. Here are the instructions: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-set-up-and-use-email-templates-in-gmail

If you know me, you know I don't pay for something I can do myself. I also have two email addresses which allows me to send one from my Gmail account to my yahoo. The one I sent to yahoo didn't include the links. So, I'll probably have to try it again, maybe next week.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 03:06:21 AM »
Good luck Marti. Make sure the first thing after the chapter is a link to the Amazon book page. Apologies for stating the obvious if you already thought of that.

I asked if I could send you a copy in my previous post. Never mind, the links are gone in my original too. I must not have saved it correctly.

Crystal

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 03:58:56 AM »
I don't see a reason not to do it, but IME readers don't really like reading full chapters in email. They prefer an easier to read format. But of course you can't post it on a blog if it's in KU.

IIRC, you can send KU books to readers if you send directly. What you can't do is host the book on another site, like BookFunnel or InstaFreebie. This is what a KDP rep told me, but we all know KDP reps are inconsistent, so attempt at your own risk.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2021, 04:07:01 AM »
I don't see a reason not to do it, but IME readers don't really like reading full chapters in email. They prefer an easier to read format. But of course you can't post it on a blog if it's in KU.

IIRC, you can send KU books to readers if you send directly. What you can't do is host the book on another site, like BookFunnel or InstaFreebie. This is what a KDP rep told me, but we all know KDP reps are inconsistent, so attempt at your own risk.

I was thinking people can read email on their phones. No?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2021, 04:17:24 AM »
Here's the thing. Amazon allows that much and more in the sample. However, they don't like authors giving away whole books unless it's free on their site. I say that because I know of an author who is sending a chapter a week. I'm thinking if I can't sell it after the first two chapters, move on.

But of course you can't post it on a blog if it's in KU.

Is the book in KDP Select / KU or not?

There are options that might work if you are allowed to have the content on your own website (but not a third-party site).

a) Put the content in a password-protected post on a blog.  Then eMail your readers the password.  That way, only people with the password can access it, which should only be your readers.  Let readers know the password will only be valid for x days, then change it after that which will help prevent the password becoming widely known.

b) Offer the files as a download on your site, in a directory with a random name.  Give this link to your readers.  Notify them the link will only be valid for x days, then delete it from your site after that time period.

c) Install your own mailing list software on your site instead of using Excel and gmail.  Instead, use something like phplist which is free if you use the self-hosted version.  It has templates and everything you would want.  Using it, you can send files or links to your readers.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Marti Talbott

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2021, 04:29:53 AM »

But of course you can't post it on a blog if it's in KU.

Is the book in KDP Select / KU or not?

There are options that might work if you are allowed to have the content on your own website (but not a third-party site).

a) Put the content in a password-protected post on a blog.  Then eMail your readers the password.  That way, only people with the password can access it, which should only be your readers.  Let readers know the password will only be valid for x days, then change it after that which will help prevent the password becoming widely known.

b) Offer the files as a download on your site, in a directory with a random name.  Give this link to your readers.  Notify them the link will only be valid for x days, then delete it from your site after that time period.

c) Install your own mailing list software on your site instead of using Excel and gmail.  Instead, use something like phplist which is free if you use the self-hosted version.  It has templates and everything you would want.  Using it, you can send files or links to your readers.

Well, this is certainly getting complicated.

You are aware that Amazon gives us an <embed> link to use anywhere we want. The one for this book is: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B09G8DHRC7&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_E6F1GVG6NAQQT8KS3Q0R

Of course, it leads to the sample on Amazon's product page. If I were going to put it on my website, there would be no reason to be sneaky about it. (You can find it beside "share" Facebook, etc. right hand column)

However, the question is - how to get readers to my website? For that, I still have to send them an email. Ha, why not just send them the sample, which is the same as the sample on Amazon's product page. I fail to see the difference.

Crystal

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2021, 06:19:01 AM »
People don't want to read 1k+ words in an email on their phone.

It's not a dealbreaker (and I would probably send a KU book via email as well), but IME, you will have more takers if you give people an easier to read format. I haven't had any issue with extended samples on BookFunnel (still under 10% limit) though I don't have any evidence they lead to sales either.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2021, 06:28:56 AM »

It's not a dealbreaker (and I would probably send a KU book via email as well), but IME, you will have more takers if you give people an easier to read format. I haven't had any issue with extended samples on BookFunnel (still under 10% limit) though I don't have any evidence they lead to sales either.

You're probably right, but it can't hurt to try. Think of it this way, if I fail, you'll know not to waste your time trying it.     :icon_idea:

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2021, 07:00:04 AM »
Do it both ways. Start with a link for the blog where the chapters are and then say something like, "No wifi, out of data? Here are the chapters right here."

I should note I am not a phone person. I really really hate my phone and verizon even more. I don't have unlimited data and maybe most people do.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2021, 07:13:38 AM »

Not unique to WordPress but certainly easy enough on the platform... I have a PDF Flip Viewer, plugged into my site, that makes reading on the phone a lot easier. Easier on the eyes and simple to navigate.  Happy to expand if people are interested.

R.C.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2021, 07:18:05 AM »
My website lets people read on phone, tablet and computer. I don't suppose email has those options. If this idea doesn't work, I'll probably just put it on my website. Live and learn.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2021, 08:27:40 AM »
Second try, this time with the links working. I sent it to 82 on my mailing list, so we'll see if any or them actually read chapters in emails. I'll keep you posted.

The following users thanked this post: KSenniaV

notthatamanda

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2021, 11:50:12 AM »
Good luck.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2021, 04:42:41 AM »
Good luck.

So far, no sales. So, on to the next idea. I used to have Anna, the first book in my highlander series free to read on my website. When I upgraded, I deleted it.

The trick is to get people to go to my website where they might, just might, see something they want to buy. So, I put the first six chapters back up, but I didn't tell anyone. Yesterday, I put the first chapter of my WIP, The Last Wagon, (The Oregon Trail) up, with a template for comments and sign ups if they want to be notified when I put up the next chapter. After I got it all set up, I posted a notice on my FB page. Ten new people read the WIP yesterday and today, and one also read ANNA.

I can't be sure, but maybe what I did in the past was a good idea after all.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2021, 03:01:20 PM »
From what i've read things like this are a slow progression. You don't see sales out of the gate.

You give little bits of a story hooking the audience and after a while they start buying your other stuff. Though with a newsletter i dont know how that works.

I'm thinking of taking one of my standalones and offering it chapter by chapter to my newsletter. Then at the end putting it up for sale on amazon.
My newsletter isnt all organic most of it is from book funnel so these readers really need to develop an attachment to my work. I'm sure alot of them are receiving five or more newsletters a week.

notthatamanda

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2021, 12:03:57 AM »
Marti, why don't you have the Anna book, if is it first in a series, free wide? Are you in KU or wide? Even if you are in KU you can take the first book free wide and keep the rest in KU. That will annoy some people on the other platforms, but it is possible to do it like that if you want to experiment.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2021, 08:10:37 AM »
Marti, why don't you have the Anna book, if is it first in a series, free wide? Are you in KU or wide? Even if you are in KU you can take the first book free wide and keep the rest in KU. That will annoy some people on the other platforms, but it is possible to do it like that if you want to experiment.

Anna is free wide. It was the first "short" story I wrote, and then added Rachel and Charlet's story, making all three the first book in my 14 book Highlander series. Ah, if I knew then what I know now ... Oh well, can't go back. Anyway, Anna's story still seems to attract readers to my website.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XF1E36/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i38

(I've only sold one book in that series this month. First time that's happened. Hopefully, Anna will get it started again.)

Really, can I put free books in KU? I have four free first in a series.

By the way, this chapter thing seems to be working. I just posted chapter 2 and there is already a reader on my site. I can't tell if they are my loyal fans or new readers, just if they are new to my website. The Last Wagon (The Oregon Trail) Here's the link if your interested:

https://www.martitalbott.com/Home