Author Topic: How Can a Minor Get Published on Amazon KDP?  (Read 989 times)

CCopperpot85

• Tag Line unlocked
How Can a Minor Get Published on Amazon KDP?
« on: July 15, 2022, 02:13:16 AM »
My 17 year old kid just asked me for help in getting a book published on Amazon KDP. This is all new to me. Since they are under 18, I am being told I need to publish under my Amazon account and provide my banking information. I do not mind the banking information or the tax liability for now, but I do not want to share access to my Amazon account so that my kid could manage their publication. Is there any way around this?

Post-Crisis D

Re: How Can a Minor Get Published on Amazon KDP?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 11:39:27 AM »
*Maybe* you could setup a publishing company that could have its own Amazon account.  Perhaps you could be the company owner now and transfer over when your kid turns 18.  But those would be things to discuss with an accountant, tax professional or other qualified person.

Or, your kid could start working on a second and third book and have a trilogy or the start of a series ready to go upon turning 18.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 11:47:13 AM »
No, there isn't.

Technically, your kid is not allowed to access your account at that level. It doesn't stop people though.

My advice is to wait the extra year to publish.

In the meantime, have the kid apply for whatever tax registration is needed where you are. So as soon as he/she turns 18, the KDP account can be created rapidly.

During that year, get the book edited, proofread, and then continue proofreading on reader devices and after the passage of time.

While that's going on, work on book 2. Be it a new stand alone, or a sequel. If book 2 is finished, repeat the editing and proofing, and get on with book 3.

A year isn't a long time, and hitting the ground running with more than 1 book released a month apart, and having spent the time making sure what is released is as high quality as possible, makes the wait worthwhile.

The other thing is to use social media to build a mailing list of people who want to be advised the moment the book goes on pre-order, or who use Kindle Unlimited and who want to be advised the moment the book goes live. Even a couple of dozen people primed to pre-order and read can make a huge difference to the launch rank, and thus visibility and sales.

There are a number of questions on Quora about this issue, and my advise regardless of the age of the asker is wait until 18, get the book as high quality as possible, and hit the ground running with multiple books on rapid release if you can.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 03:27:06 PM »
Or, your kid could start working on a second and third book and have a trilogy or the start of a series ready to go upon turning 18.

This is what I'd suggest, too.

Also, welcome to the site, Mr. Copperpot.  Watch out for One-eyed Willie's traps.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 08:32:35 PM »
I'd advise copyrighting the book too. If your kid is not interested in writing a second book right now, it is probably still a good idea to let the book sit untouched for a month plus and then reread it. Having word read the book in read aloud is a great way to edit. Kid could learn canva (I think it is canva?) to work on the cover while waiting to turn 18. Having everything ready to go for when they turn 18 is another plan. (I have a 17 year old myself so good luck.)

idontknowyet

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 01:14:57 AM »

This is what I'd suggest, too.

Also, welcome to the site, Mr. Copperpot.  Watch out for One-eyed Willie's traps.   :icon_mrgreen:
Rapid release is a beautiful thing to build momentum. This would also be a good time to learn about marketing their books. Take a class or three either at the community college level or there are several decent writer created programs just focused on book marketing.

Welcome!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 01:53:10 PM by idontknowyet »

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 06:19:33 AM »
It's very common fro new folks to publish a first book without knowledge or thought, and they miss opportunities (assuming selling some copies, making some money and possibly beginning a career is a goal, rather than publishing something like a one-off memoir).

So assuming they're writing fiction I second the idea of writing more books and taking more prep time, getting all the ducks in a row and starting of smarter and more strategically when they turn 18.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

Cephus

• Short Story unlocked
  • This is hard work. Never give up.
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2022, 04:36:59 AM »
There is no way to do it otherwise. Minors are not legally permitted to do so without the permission and involvement of a legal parent or guardian.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary - Vince Lombardi

She-la-te-da

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2022, 05:26:07 AM »
No other way, no workarounds. If the minor got into the account and Amazon found out, it could lead to account termination. No one is to have access to your account but you. Period.

I agree with the others, have them write more books, learn the craft, learn self publishing, then get their own account. If they want to be a writer, it's the best route.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.