Author Topic: The BRITISH & IRISH Writers' Support Thread  (Read 1936 times)

hjmoritzo

Re: The BRITISH & IRISH Writers' Support Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2018, 04:38:51 AM »
Hello from Somerset, land of history, mystery and the smell of the country air (or as it's more commonly known, manure!).

Authoress

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2018, 07:24:37 AM »
Hello from Somerset, land of history, mystery and the smell of the country air (or as it's more commonly known, manure!).

Where the cider apples grow  :icon_lol2:

Shane

« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2018, 11:01:13 PM »
Chiming in from Cork. We hosted the Eurovision once.

sFABi

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2018, 01:34:33 AM »
For those of you who have .co.uk or EU-based domain names here is an interesting snippet that might interest you.

"as a result of GDPR Nominet have automatically redacted your personal information from the WHOIS database. This information is therefore no longer available publicly and only law enforcement and approved parties can view it."

This gives EU domain name holders privacy without paying extra for it (such as 123.org do) when it's an automatic GDPR legal requirement.
Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.
When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.
Marcus Aurelius

The following users thanked this post: fleurina

WordWrassler

• Blurb unlocked
  • Embracing the grind
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2018, 08:46:00 PM »
Londoner here though currently living in Devon.

Trioxin 245

« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2018, 06:50:57 AM »
I'm Irish born and bred.  Grew up in Dublin but live in the countryside now. 

Culchie!  grint

The following users thanked this post: Fee

Fee

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2018, 12:18:41 AM »
I'm Irish born and bred.  Grew up in Dublin but live in the countryside now. 

Culchie!  grint

:hehe - As far as the locals are concerned, I'll always be a jackeen.

Hi to all the other Irish and British on the board.   :mhk9U91:

garygibsonsf

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2018, 01:54:55 AM »
Scottish here, living in Taipei. Originally from Glasgow. Trad author with ten books published, but making gradual headway into self-publishing, first with a short story collection and possibly later with books published online as and when they're written.

I'm curious if anyone has been following the recent decision by the European Commission to recommend giving taxation of digital ebooks and newspapers a swift, hard shove into oblivion. 

My short story collection sells reasonably well, but 90% of my sales are in the Uk, which means literally hundreds of pounds of my income has gone to an outdated tax I regard as punitive on reading and learning and the uptake of digital forms of communication.

References: https://publishingperspectives.com/2018/10/european-publishing-welcomes-ecofin-ebook-taxation-decision/

and

http://www.marcusward.co/vat-e-books-to-be-reduced-rated/

The following users thanked this post: Fee, WordWrassler

spin52

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2018, 02:04:25 AM »
One of my sons lives in Somerset, the other in Devon.
Back to the roundabout discussion, I was pleased to see the Magic Roundabout in Swindon at the top (possibly should be the bottom) of the list. I remember many years ago, travelling to a training course in Swindon and seeing our supervisor going around another segment of the roundabout. How we ever ended up in the same place for the course I'll never know.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes.