Author Topic: WTF Amazon?  (Read 505 times)

Lee Dennis

WTF Amazon?
« on: November 10, 2018, 03:58:16 AM »
In The New Yorker online, there's a review of a “collection” of climate-change fiction that consists of short stories by some well-known authors, including Jane Smiley. (The article is titled “How Climate-Change Fiction, or “Cli-Fi,” Forces Us to Confront the Incipient Death of the Planet.”) Intrigued by Katy Waldman's review, I clicked on one of the links to check out the anthology. I had decided I would buy it, even if the likely exorbitant price from the trad publisher came with Amazon's snarky remark that anything over $9.99 was “Price set by publisher.”

So. It turns out the “collection” is seven stand-alone Kindle editions, published by “Amazon Original Stories,” each selling for $1.99. You can do the math. There is no paper version or paper anthology. There are audio versions selling for $1.74 each, at least one of which gets terrible reviews.

My question is, Is this a threat or a model?

David VanDyke

Re: WTF Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:09:57 AM »
If you can't fix the bug, claim it's a feature.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

The following users thanked this post: She-la-te-da

ragdoll

Re: WTF Amazon?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 02:11:05 PM »
Lee, Prime Members get them free (Prime, not KU, although KU gets them free, too). But prime members can only keep 10 in (like KU) and only select books (not all KU books).

I put 3 on my kindle (still have last group of shorts from Amazon in thrillers to work through).