Author Topic: Benefits of Ingram Spark vs Amazon?  (Read 162 times)

solo

• Flash Fiction unlocked
  • "By the hoary balls of Nergal!"
Benefits of Ingram Spark vs Amazon?
« on: November 30, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »
Hi. No, the question is not intended to spark a debate. I just want to know. Still a newb. I have been with Amazon for 14 months now, all of my books are with KU too. Had some bestsellers and a new series, though on pre-order, promises to be well on the bestseller way (fingers crossed). I am now considering whether I'll try to go with other distributors, at least for a book or two just to test the waters. I do have some new ones lined up for 2019.

Any ideas? Any information would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

Denise

Re: Benefits of Ingram Spark vs Amazon?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 07:34:22 AM »
For print?

You can go with both. You'll earn a little more selling paperbacks in other markets, and Ingram has more printers worldwide. I use it when I do paperback giveaways, so that it can be worldwide. I've also had bookstagrammers asking for a copy of the book, and I'm like: "sure!". Then the address comes and it's in the Philippines. Having Ingram makes these things easier.

Try to find a code, or else you pay to set up. I don't think Ingram can male any difference in sales, though. It's just convenient.

The following users thanked this post: solo

solo

• Flash Fiction unlocked
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 12:29:32 PM »
For print?

You can go with both. You'll earn a little more selling paperbacks in other markets, and Ingram has more printers worldwide. I use it when I do paperback giveaways, so that it can be worldwide. I've also had bookstagrammers asking for a copy of the book, and I'm like: "sure!". Then the address comes and it's in the Philippines. Having Ingram makes these things easier.

Try to find a code, or else you pay to set up. I don't think Ingram can male any difference in sales, though. It's just convenient.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I am into ebooks now. Sales are not bad. My first book published October 2017 just breached 3m pages KU. I know the royalties are bigger for paperbacks, but somehow it doesn't work for me. Nobody buys  :icon_cry: Maybe in the future. Still a newbie, trying to make a dent in the Amazon market. I just thought Ingram Spark would open a new venue for me. Well, back to Amazon...

Bill Hiatt

• Novella unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:53:33 AM »
For print?

Thanks! Unfortunately, I am into ebooks now. Sales are not bad. My first book published October 2017 just breached 3m pages KU. I know the royalties are bigger for paperbacks, but somehow it doesn't work for me. Nobody buys  :icon_cry: Maybe in the future. Still a newbie, trying to make a dent in the Amazon market. I just thought Ingram Spark would open a new venue for me. Well, back to Amazon...
Unless you set your prices relatively high, the royalties wouldn't necessarily be higher for paper. Because of production costs, paperbacks are going to be inherently more expensive, and the royalty percentage is a little lower, so getting even the same royalty means a fairly high paperback price. Getting a higher royalty on non-Amazon sales at 40% royalty (if you're going with KDP Print) would require a really high price to get the same royalty you'd get on an ebook. (Unless your ebooks are priced very low, in which case it would be easier to manage getting more from a paperback.)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Mark Gardner

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 12:51:07 AM »
I think that based on this post, you should use KDP Print and do the defaults for paperbacks. If you don't sell them currently, and don't see a future in them, then set aside an thirty minutes per book, and just go through the process. You can be in paper with no financial investment other than a bit of your time. Even if you never sell a single paperback, the benefits are worth it for the time. The biggest benefit is that Amazon will list the ebook as a savings off of the paperback price.

solo

• Flash Fiction unlocked
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 01:54:08 AM »
I think that based on this post, you should use KDP Print and do the defaults for paperbacks. If you don't sell them currently, and don't see a future in them, then set aside an thirty minutes per book, and just go through the process. You can be in paper with no financial investment other than a bit of your time. Even if you never sell a single paperback, the benefits are worth it for the time. The biggest benefit is that Amazon will list the ebook as a savings off of the paperback price.

Thanks Mark. Starting to follow your advice. I did realize that out of 4 books in a series, I only have 2 in paperback form. Will begin with that. As you said, only time and some effort is required.

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

Mark Gardner

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 05:24:10 AM »
Thanks Mark. Starting to follow your advice. I did realize that out of 4 books in a series, I only have 2 in paperback form. Will begin with that. As you said, only time and some effort is required.
Eventually, you'll get invited to book events and cons and stuff, and you'll have paperbacks on hand to sell!