Author Topic: How can I arrange discounted bulk sales on KDP?  (Read 1913 times)

Hopscotch

How can I arrange discounted bulk sales on KDP?
« on: December 05, 2018, 02:43:26 PM »
I'm working on a nonfiction guidebook I hope to sell to companies in paperback in bulk and at a discounted price.  But I cannot discover how to arrange for KDP to receive a bulk order and apply a discount.  Is that do-able and, if so, where do I find the instructions on KDP? :confused:
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: How can I arrange discounted bulk sales on KDP?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 02:11:30 AM »
I'm working on a nonfiction guidebook I hope to sell to companies in paperback in bulk and at a discounted price.  But I cannot discover how to arrange for KDP to receive a bulk order and apply a discount.  Is that do-able and, if so, where do I find the instructions on KDP? :confused:
I'm not sure KDP has that functionality. I just rechecked the bookshelf and can find nothing comparable. CS used to through the CS estore, which has long been closed.

You can order author copies (at cost), up to 999 at one time. You can then sell to companies for whatever price you want, but that does mean shipping the books twice (Amazon to you, you to company).

There are workarounds. Company pays you discounted price (before or after they receive the books, depending on what deal you can work out). You drop the price on Amazon temporarily, order the books (shipped to company address, which you can add to your account as an alternative address), and you're done. The only risk there is that others can buy the book at a lower price while the price is reduced on Amazon. Actually, you may want to check with an attorney about sales tax issues. You've already paid sales tax on the books, so I'm not sure how that works. It may also have something to do with whether the company is the end user or whether it plans to resell the books. In that case, you'd be functioning like a wholesaler, but in at least some states a resale number is required to avoid paying sales tax each time the book changes hands. In that case, I think it's the company that needs one, but I'm not sure.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

Vijaya

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 05:45:54 AM »
Hopscotch, I had asked KDP help about this for school purchases but they said they cannot offer discounts on bulk orders. So the best way is to order the books yourself and sell directly to the school at the discounted price.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

idontknowyet

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 05:49:41 AM »
If its a large enough order (hundreds to thousands of copies) you might see about having the book printed at an outside printing company. They will give you a lower price but you have to order in higher quantities. Amazon really is only meant for a person that wants 1 or 2 copies of something.

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 07:28:46 AM »
If its a large enough order (hundreds to thousands of copies) you might see about having the book printed at an outside printing company. They will give you a lower price but you have to order in higher quantities. Amazon really is only meant for a person that wants 1 or 2 copies of something.
It works all right for somewhat larger quantities (I've done 60 copies or more at a time for schools) as long as you don't want a discount price, such as the OP was looking for. Hundreds of thousands would definitely be beyond KDP Print's abilities, though.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

Vijaya

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 05:53:05 AM »
Right. If someone ever wants thousands of copies of my book (I hope!), I have looked into a local printer who can give a much better price.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books