Author Topic: FYI B&N Password Change  (Read 2245 times)

ragdoll

FYI B&N Password Change
« on: January 10, 2019, 07:08:50 AM »
I have had a 7 character password since I opened the account when they first opened up to any old (American) writer. I have the dashboard set as a favorite, so I wasn't mis-keying the address.

Today, I went to check something and it told me I had to change my password. Password now has to be 8-15 characters and include at least one capital (eta - capital letter, not geographic capital) and one number.

I figure they made some change and now anyone who doesn't already meet the criteria is being forced to change the password. So no need to panic. At least I hope not. If anyone says it's not happening to them and their password doesn't meet the criteria, then I might panic :D

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:10:59 AM by ragdoll »

liveswithbirds

Re: FYI B&N Password Change
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 04:19:28 PM »
Same thing happened to me today with BN.

The following users thanked this post: ragdoll

ragdoll

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 11:33:27 PM »
Makes me feel better :D As noted, I was using my favorites link. I left the site, used the favorites link again, scrutinized every letter and punctuation in the link then sent the request. But it would have been nice if they had sent out a letter saying that new password protocols would be put in place and we would be forced to reset if we didn't already match.

EllieL

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 03:57:12 AM »
Same here. Confused me at first because I got an email saying I requested the password change (I didn't), but then I figured it was something they did at their end.
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

The following users thanked this post: ragdoll

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:09:38 AM »
B&N ignores my updates to my password, which makes it tedious to visit it. Today I can't even find the right url for the author part of the site. I've just wasted ten minutes trying all possible combinations and either I get a 404 or I get the bookstore, not the author/indie section. Obviously, I'm missing something. Or maybe they went out of business this afternoon and forgot to tell anyone. :HB

ragdoll

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »
...Today I can't even find the right url for the author part of the site....

https://press.barnesandnoble.com

The sign-in link is in the upper left quadrant in blue text - kind of discreet compared to all the big stuff that is right up in your face.

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 02:42:04 PM »
Thanks. As usual, there are no sales recorded, but at least I got to see the page and all those zeroes. The B&N customer site has tracking cookies and immediately sent me a retargeting ad. I unsubscribed to that in a hurry.

Mammasan

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:13:52 PM »
Sheesh, their site is such a mess. They say I have to submit a new W-9 form which I can't find, and when I hit the Contact button it says that page isn't working. To get a yearly statement sent from them digitally, you have to go off site to somewhere called viewmyforms.com and open an account there.

ragdoll

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2019, 12:55:20 AM »
Mammasan - and the 3d party site wouldn't work on any of my three browsers. So then I had to go back and undo my election to get it digitally. I only wonder if B&N is as incompetently run on the bricks and mortar side as well.